Quick Question Thread

Asking for a friend - friend of mine got so fed up with BBC being a Tory mouthpiece about 6 months back that they cancelled their licence direct debit.

Numerous e-mails and letters have followed, increasing in urgency from "there must have been an issue with your bank" to "we've referred this to our agents in Dundee who will visit your property".

This week, my friend came home to a card thru the door stating that agents had visited while they were out, and would return in the future at some point.

Is this like parking tickets, this can be continually ignored, or do the licence people have a bit more legal power behind them?

Any P&Bers got experience they can share?

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Asking for a friend - friend of mine got so fed up with BBC being a Tory mouthpiece about 6 months back that they cancelled their licence direct debit.

Numerous e-mails and letters have followed, increasing in urgency from "there must have been an issue with your bank" to "we've referred this to our agents in Dundee who will visit your property".

This week, my friend came home to a card thru the door stating that agents had visited while they were out, and would return in the future at some point.

Is this like parking tickets, this can be continually ignored, or do the licence people have a bit more legal power behind them?

Better just to tell them you no longer need a license, you can do it online and then they leave you alone.

3 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

File in the bin. 

On 02/11/2023 at 08:45, Boghead ranter said:

If the folk ever did arrive at your friend's door, said friend can simply tell them to bolt.

They can only enter a property in Scotland with a warrant.

On 02/11/2023 at 09:45, Boghead ranter said:

Just call them up or email them to say you no longer require a license. Did this when I moved in Aberdeen and never got hassle once. 

Think I just told them I no longer had any appliance that was capable of screening and they just let it at that.  

I got a ton of missed calls from a no caller ID number last night like 8 in 10 minutes at approx 22:50.  They left no voicemails or messages and iv had nothing today 

Anyone got any idea what that la about or experienced similar? 

Im surprised how much this has wobbled my mental health today

Edited by Ocelot1877

2 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I got a ton of missed calls from a no caller ID number last night like 8 in 10 minutes at approx 22:50.  They left no voicemails or messages and iv had nothing today 

I'm surprised how much this has wobbled my mental health today

It is your handler from the CIA wanting to know how you are getting on with your attempts to infiltrate P&B and see if they are up to anything.

2 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

Almost certainly scam calls. They often seem to phone in batches. Absolutely seeth inducing. If it's a landline call I just lift the phone and say nothing - no voice, they hang up. For peace of mind do 1471 then put the number after googling who called.

3 hours ago, Ocelot1877 said:

I pulled the plug on my landline 3-4 years ago, and have been happy ever since.  I was coming home to more than a dozen voicemails every fuckin day, and I had to go through them in case my elderly mum was phoning me. I showed her how easy speed dial was to use, I then filled her 10 speed dial spaces with the mobile numbers of her most dialled numbers, waited a week or so to make sure she nailed the speed dial thing, then removed the landline from my house. And we’ve all lived happily ever after. 

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

I pulled the plug on my landline 3-4 years ago, and have been happy ever since.  I was coming home to more than a dozen voicemails every fuckin day, and I had to go through them in case my elderly mum was phoning me. I showed her how easy speed dial was to use, I then filled her 10 speed dial spaces with the mobile numbers of her most dialled numbers, waited a week or so to make sure she nailed the speed dial thing, then removed the landline from my house. And we’ve all lived happily ever after. 

That sounds like a good idea.  I would suggest you also cancel the contract for that number, save some money and be happier still. 

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

That sounds like a good idea.  I would suggest you also cancel the contract for that number, save some money and be happier still. 

I never thought about that coz I thought it was tied up with my sky contract. I’ll be investigating this one. 
Cheers mate. 

Help solve a debate here please:

Did Sportscene ever have a goal of the month contenders section set to this tune?  It would have been earliest 2000s, probably.

I'm adamant there was.

Edited by Hedgecutter