Quick Question Thread

Before moving here I should have got a grasp on the Spanish use of first and second surnames.  I am more often that not referred to by my first and middle name.

Mind you it’s better than how most folk referred to be back in Scotland.  :(

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Before moving here I should have got a grasp on the Spanish use of first and second surnames.  I am more often that not referred to by my first and middle name.

Mind you it’s better than how most folk referred to be back in Scotland.  :(

Dick King Smith must’ve wished he could’ve lived in Spain. 

11 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

We hadn’t thought about a middle name for Jr v1 until the lady from the State who came round to register the birth the morning after she arrived asked us if we had any middle names. We didn’t have our social security cards with us either so the lady said she’d need them and she’d be back tomorrow, so have them and any middle names we wanted to give our daughter. The wee white skull cap the hospital put on babies made her look a bit like the Pope, so I suggested Frances. Nobody thought of anything better so that’s what she got. 

Thank goodness it wasn't a pointy hat / cap.

Nobody wants 'Klan' as a middle name.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Very common in my parents generation. 

In mine, the middle name seems most commonly to be the first name of a favoured relative or grandparent. 

It's a f**king free for all with younger folk. My brother's kids and my step-daughter's kids all have middle names that have no relation to anybody. The parents just liked the name so stuck it in. In my step-daughter's case, she said she liked two names, couldn't decide which one to give the lad, so gave him both. Weirdos. This is apparently quite common. 

Same. My middle name is Gaylord* because that was my father's favourite uncle's first name. When I was a kid, it seemed like that was the same for everyone I knew, so I figured that must be the tradition. Funny that the practice seems to have changed so quickly between a couple of generations.

Either's better than calling a child KimK Batman Pewdiepie McGlumpher IMO.

* may not actually be Gaylord

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If you’re first name was Logan you’d be a Logan Berry.

I wonder if anyone’s ever had to make a judgement call because they’d promised their Grandpa Dangle on his deathbed that they’d name a kid after him

15 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

I wonder if anyone’s ever had to make a judgement call because they’d promised their Grandpa Dangle on his deathbed that they’d name a kid after him

They shouldn’t have to.  The ill named old c**t is now dead so he will never know.*

* suggests no one reads the ‘Ghosts’ thread.

Remember how every product had to have the suffix '2000' in the latter part of the 20th century? How come '2100' or '3000' never caught on once we reached the 21st century? I presume it was supposed to make a product seem futuristic, so you'd think a year even further ahead would accomplish that. When did the '2000' suffix start being used anyway? Was it in use before the Eighties?

There was a company called Scot Heat 2000 over this way, and it survived until a few years ago, so I guess they became amusingly retro for people.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Remember how every product had to have the suffix '2000' in the latter part of the 20th century? How come '2100' or '3000' never caught on once we reached the 21st century? I presume it was supposed to make a product seem futuristic, so you'd think a year even further ahead would accomplish that. When did the '2000' suffix start being used anyway? Was it in use before the Eighties?

There was a company called Scot Heat 2000 over this way, and it survived until a few years ago, so I guess they became amusingly retro for people.

2000AD started in 1977. They couldn't think of a better name at the Millennium and 47 years later it's still 2000AD  (the lazy, useless, Betlegeusian green bonced Tharg b*****d) 

toothy.jpg.37f9942bb98f8b82d3a9b8ad6c24d0fa.jpg

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

Remember how every product had to have the suffix '2000' in the latter part of the 20th century? How come '2100' or '3000' never caught on once we reached the 21st century? 

Millennium bug killed them off? 

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Death Race 2000 came out in 1975.

All other references to 2000 are actually paying homage to that film.

The wife is off sick from work after having a fall which resulted in a torn muscle, which is healing up well. She technically would be on holiday the next 3 days, and we are going to a gig at the hydro Tommorow, and we've also got a night's accommodation paid for as well. Could she get in trouble from her employers if she posts anything on social media?? Bit of a tricky one, as I said she was meant to be off this weekend anyway...

4 minutes ago, philpy said:

The wife is off sick from work after having a fall which resulted in a torn muscle, which is healing up well. She technically would be on holiday the next 3 days, and we are going to a gig at the hydro Tommorow, and we've also got a night's accommodation paid for as well. Could she get in trouble from her employers if she posts anything on social media?? Bit of a tricky one, as I said she was meant to be off this weekend anyway...

Just don't post anything on social media.

HTH.

15 minutes ago, philpy said:

Technically if she’s signed off sick she should get those holidays back to take at a later date. 

21 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Just don't post anything on social media.

HTH.

^^^ this, so much this.  Can people not enjoy events without posting on social media how much they’re enjoying them?