Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

They are knackered and need replaced.

Year and a half is a very short time in normal use, as these usually last ~10000 hours.

Can only assume you have been in there a lot chopping up the bodies.......................

It seems very weird that all 3 could fail within a few minutes of each other. They were bought at different times, from different shops, although they are all the same manufacturer. I'm not in the garage that often, so usage has been way less than normal use. I've not been in the garage today, so I'll check again tomorrow.

10 hours ago, Soapy FFC said:

It seems very weird that all 3 could fail within a few minutes of each other. They were bought at different times, from different shops, although they are all the same manufacturer. I'm not in the garage that often, so usage has been way less than normal use. I've not been in the garage today, so I'll check again tomorrow.

I'd imagine the wiring - highly unlikely all 3 will fail so close together unless there was some power fluctuation.  Also, are they plugged directly into the wall or via an adaptor of some kind.  I think LED strips should always go through an adaptor rather than directly to the outlet.

Is there any legal requirement for new employees to provide references?

I'm returning to my old job in a few weeks and they've asked me to provide a reference for what I've been doing since I left three months ago.

I'm very tempted to tell them that I've been busy minding my own fucking business.

I didn't mention the last few months in the application, and I've been formally offered the job, so they don't need to check to see if I'm lying about anything.

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm returning to my old job in a few weeks and they've asked me to provide a reference for what I've been doing since I left three months ago.

I'm very tempted to tell them that I've been busy minding my own fucking business.

I didn't mention the last few months in the application, and I've been formally offered the job, so they don't need to check to see if I'm lying about anything.

Seems a bit daft if you only recently left.

Depends what you have been doing, presumably their payroll dept will need a P45 if you were employed elsewhere?

But if not, and you have just been lying in your farting sack, then just tell them that.

Also, most bigger companies now merely give a bland "did they turn up/sick record" ref now and not a character reference. This is to ensure they are not laying themselves open to legal action due to some dick of a line manager - that also applied to people who resigned pre firing in my last place, amazingly.

37 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Some regulated jobs (financial services) previous employers have to provide a reference for but apart from that it isn't legally required on employers I don't think.

If you haven't been working for the last 3 months and you've told them that what on earth are they expecting you to provide?  Often you get asked for a couple of years references and as long as you can explain gaps in employment (i.e. I was off travelling would normally be acceptable but I was a guest of His Majesty wouldn't) most companies accept that.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Show them your photos.

Although they might think you're a people trafficker or an arms salesman. That's what I took out them.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Show them your photos.

Although they might think you're a people trafficker or an arms salesman. That's what I took out them.

Let's just say I didn't take Blood Diamond as the cautionary tale it was intended.

Thanks for the replies, all. That's what I thought. I'll probably end up doing what they ask (especially as it's someone new in this role), because head office are a bit pissed off with me as it is. I push back too much when they can't explain the reasoning behind their processes. "Because that's just how we do things" sends me into a rage.

Edit: I need to complete a consent form before they can ask someone in the company to give me a reference for my previous time there.

Edited by DiegoDiego

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

Would they not just be writing to themselves?

Aye but the I will be dotted and the T will be crossed so someone In Hr will be delighted 

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Let's just say I didn't take Blood Diamond as the cautionary tale it was intended.

Thanks for the replies, all. That's what I thought. I'll probably end up doing what they ask (especially as it's someone new in this role), because head office are a bit pissed off with me as it is. I push back too much when they can't explain the reasoning behind their processes. "Because that's just how we do things" sends me into a rage.

Edit: I need to complete a consent form before they can ask someone in the company to give me a reference for my previous time there.

You could maybe get a couple of references if you have been a regular attender to other folks' places of employment.  A glowing report from a Head Barman or chip shop owner might go down a treat. (Note - I skilfully avoided the great "chippy v chipper" debate)

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Maybe you're overthinking it.  If you didn't tell them what you have been doing for the past 3 months then it seems a fair enough question to ask.  

As long as your "unexplained" 3 months didn't involve a spell in the Bar-L I can't see why there would be a problem.  Does your job involve providing a PVG Certificate?

Just send them a link to your P&B posts.

1 hour ago, ericsimpson said:

The decision to provide references is up to you, but it's essential to handle the situation diplomatically and professionally. If you have concerns or reservations about providing references, you may want to communicate openly and respectfully with your employer to address any misunderstandings or clarify expectations.

...and so say all of us! 🎶