Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Always good to ask for legal advice on here haha... we've been trying to get a hold of a lawyer who's been doing some work for my mum to get an update on the file for about 3 weeks now- I must have phoned on about 8 occasions, sent two emails and went into the office in person with a hand-signed letter last week which the receptionist (who was very apologetic) assured me would be looked at- the excuses on the phone are always "he's out of the office / he's working through his messages / I'll let him know you've called on a few occasions". My mum has also phoned twice and been fobbed off as well.

Other than just the shite customer service I'm wondering if he's made a bit of a bollocks of what he's doing. I don't really want to engage other lawyers as then the cost just starts to spiral but what the f**k do I do short of doorstepping him or putting a molotov cocktail through his window to get him to reply? Is there a complaints procedure?

edit: we've heard nothing for about 4 months, I've only started chasing it up in the new year though so I'm not being hugely impatient

We had a solicitor who was taking forever on a family matter so we switched to another solicitor with a different firm who was recommended, the old one had to send the file over and it was like night and day.

21 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

You've no idea how much this kind of stuff enrages me. 

In relation to complaints etc., the firm that your mum are using should have an internal complaints procedure. Details of it should be in your mum's Terms of Business letter, which she should have got at the start of the process. That would need to be followed first I would imagine before the SLCC would get involved.

I wouldn't worry too much about seeking another solicitors view on things - there will be solicitors around (we certainly do) where the first appointment is always free. You would find that the original solicitor would probably withdraw from acting if you sought advice elsewhere but it sounds like, in this case, that may be no bad thing. 

As an aside, from a personal point of view, that kind of wait for your mum and the inaction of the solicitor is woefully bad. 

Cheers, I'll go through their internal procedure first before using any external bodies.

16 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I had the exact same last year. 

I emailed the senior partner Lee Wallacing the lazy little c**t and *boom* instant 5* service. 

This guy is one of the senior partners so it might be that he can delegate it as it's not hugely complex but there's nobody to report him to (internally)

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We had a solicitor who was taking forever on a family matter so we switched to another solicitor with a different firm who was recommended, the old one had to send the file over and it was like night and day.

I might have to end up doing it but my issue is that I'm going to have to pay the existing firm for work done and then - even on the assumption the substitute firm are hugely efficient which is a bold one- they might need to duplicate some of the work so I'll be paying twice. Will have a think.

57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You mean these guys

Day and Knight.jpg

14 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyone ever tried Ayahuasca? PM if public discussion doesn't suit....

I'll not be googling Ayahuasca, not fooling me this time.

Edited by Empty It
Typo

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I'll not be googling Ayahuasca, not fooling me this time.

Yous are all sheltered! It's a herbal hallucinogenic tea. Big in South America and Native American culture. Not illegal I don't think but has potential to bend your mind quite severely, hence care is to be taken. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yous are all sheltered! It's a herbal hallucinogenic tea. Big in South America and Native American culture. Not illegal I don't think but has potential to bend your mind quite severely, hence care is to be taken. 

NIH studies are interesting, had never heard of it. Overall they concluded low potential for abuse, good potential for helping people, more studies needs. Sounds like the use with an experience guide would be indicated.

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Sounds like the use with an experience guide would be indicated.

That should be the default for any hallucinogen. There have been some very encouraging studies about treating PTSD with it, also depression. A single session resulting in six months of positive outcomes.

The war on drugs set us back decades, but hopefully these compounds can begin to benefit society in a legal way.

9 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Is it a normal thing to brush your teeth in the staff bathroom every day after lunch? Am I minging because I don't?

Depending on the answer, I may transfer to the Work Colleagues thread to rant.

Without question, it is most absolutely not a normal thing to brush your teeth in the staff bathroom after lunch.  Appalling dental hygiene.  Totally unacceptable and that is the end of the matter.

Brushing your teeth in the staff bathroom BEFORE lunch would definitely be better.

Take all the doors off and tell her it's open plan.

Failing that, take it off and fill the holes, I'd probably add a bit of glue to fix the hinge surface to the door as well.

Or

Get a man in.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

See on your cheapo chipboard kitchen cupboard doors, when the fixing gets pulled out, including the rawlplugs, and wrecks the 'wood', what's the best way to repair it?

20240306_082135.thumb.jpg.9f303ae218c62b2c18dec2fabe4d0618.jpg

I doubt there is a very effective fix as it stands - there is very little scope for longer screws and most fillers won't stand up to the wear and tear cupboard doors get.  One option is to swap that door for one that get's less use - that's the easiest fix.  Another option is to add a 2nd hinge just below the existing one - probably need to use a different type as the one you have has a hole cut into the door that will be hard to replicate. A 3rd would be to fit a thin piece of wood over the damaged area which would give the screw something to bite into.  

I've got one which has just about held on for a couple of years now but It's only  a matter of time.