Quick Question Thread

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's a Halifax Clarity specifically for foreign spending. They can go and get a Monzo or something but this just would have been a 5 second workaround. 

Ah, well the answer's probably, "sure, but you might have problems if anything goes wrong". Maybe ask to have the limit reduced in case someone else gets access to your precious deets and you end up on the hook for silly money.

Presumably you'll be in the same country? That would definitely flag up with the provider!

Edit: I had to call my credit card provider once because I was in Glasgow and it "isn't somewhere we normally see you spending money"  :mellow:

Edited by BFTD

Question for any resident sparkys on here 

Been in our gaff now for over 6 years, in that time the electrics have been pretty solid apart from on 3 or 4 different occasions now the fuse for downstairs will trip

After narrowing it down to the downstairs plug sockets (it defo is) we have proceeded every time to switch off and unplug every socket downstairs including they pain in the arse ones under the kitchen units, and when we go to flip the downstairs sockets on again it still trips the downstairs fuse 

However, everytime this has happened, after 12hrs give or take, the sockets will magically not trip the fuse and everything goes back to normal

When it happens i can run extension cords from upstairs landing down to plug the fridge and telly/router in along with any kitchen appliances needed (it's weird as this has only ever happened at night) but also, it happened the other day when nobody did anything, nothing new was plugged in or unplugged etc

Any ideas what could be causing the trip and why it resets itself after half a day

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Been in our gaff now for over 6 years, in that time the electrics have been pretty solid apart from on 3 or 4 different occasions now the fuse for downstairs will trip

After narrowing it down to the downstairs plug sockets (it defo is) we have proceeded every time to switch off and unplug every socket downstairs including they pain in the arse ones under the kitchen units, and when we go to flip the downstairs sockets on again it still trips the downstairs fuse 

However, everytime this has happened, after 12hrs give or take, the sockets will magically not trip the fuse and everything goes back to normal

When it happens i can run extension cords from upstairs landing down to plug the fridge and telly/router in along with any kitchen appliances needed (it's weird as this has only ever happened at night) but also, it happened the other day when nobody did anything, nothing new was plugged in or unplugged etc

Any ideas what could be causing the trip and why it resets itself after half a day

The cannabis farm in the attic?

9 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Was the question "where do the wimmin have copious armpit hair AND unwaxed fannies"?

Reveal hidden contents

obviously ignoring the usual answer of "Glenrothes"

These, erm, wimmen. Do they have phone numbers by any chance.

On 21/03/2024 at 18:48, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've spent 39 of my 45 working years toiling at the coal face in the service of Their Majesties. I'm beginning to think I might not find anything better.

I worked in various Unemployment Benefit Office's (as they were called then) in Glasgow and Paisley from age 16 to 21. It was OK but a bit soul destroying at times. We actually had a claimant who had the surname Smellie and on one occassion I had to go to the counter and shout his name in front of dozens of other 'service users'. Not sure who was the more mortified.

10 hours ago, BFTD said:

Edit: I had to call my credit card provider once because I was in Glasgow and it "isn't somewhere we normally see you spending money"  :mellow:

Do you also have to do this every time you're in the pub? 

3 hours ago, jimmy boo said:

I worked in various Unemployment Benefit Office's (as they were called then) in Glasgow and Paisley from age 16 to 21. It was OK but a bit soul destroying at times. We actually had a claimant who had the surname Smellie and on one occassion I had to go to the counter and shout his name in front of dozens of other 'service users'. Not sure who was the more mortified.

I once knew a guy of the same name who insisted it was pronounced Smiley

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

Ah, well the answer's probably, "sure, but you might have problems if anything goes wrong". Maybe ask to have the limit reduced in case someone else gets access to your precious deets and you end up on the hook for silly money.

Presumably you'll be in the same country? That would definitely flag up with the provider!

Note to self:  BFTD never buys a round when he is in Glasgow.

18 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

When you say the fuse for downstairs, is this an RCD main switch which powers a row of breakers for multiple downstairs circuits (one of which is the sockets)?

It may be as simple as an earth wire not fully sheathed behind a socket cover, especially if it's an older property with metal boxes.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I once knew a guy of the same name who insisted it was pronounced Smiley

Aye a girl I worked with married her dream man, but was seriously put off by his Smellie name. She insisted it was pronounced Smiley, but I don't think I ever used it. Oh we laughed! I say we...

19 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Not a sparky but did manage properties for 20 odd years and it sounds like it could be a dodgy appliance. Ovens, hobs, showers- things that are switched on even if not in use. Could be worth going through a process of elimination on these. 
Mice and poltergeists a possibility too.

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

When you say the fuse for downstairs, is this an RCD main switch which powers a row of breakers for multiple downstairs circuits (one of which is the sockets)?

It may be as simple as an earth wire not fully sheathed behind a socket cover, especially if it's an older property with metal boxes.

Yeah its an RCD main switch, would the earth wire problem not cause this to happen more often and no reset itself after half a day, seems a strange "fix" if you will to just leave the downstairs socket switch off for 12hrs then flip it back on again, 

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Not a sparky but did manage properties for 20 odd years and it sounds like it could be a dodgy appliance. Ovens, hobs, showers- things that are switched on even if not in use. Could be worth going through a process of elimination on these. 
Mice and poltergeists a possibility too.

Nah i unplugged every single appliance, and turned all sockets off at their switches as well and the fuse still tripped, so im guessing its a wiring problem or an issue with the fuse box itself, 

Its weird how it just suddenly works after half a day, since then ive had everything back plugged in and its been running fine

16 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Yeah its an RCD main switch, would the earth wire problem not cause this to happen more often and no reset itself after half a day, seems a strange "fix" if you will to just leave the downstairs socket switch off for 12hrs then flip it back on again, 

Nah i unplugged every single appliance, and turned all sockets off at their switches as well and the fuse still tripped, so im guessing its a wiring problem or an issue with the fuse box itself, 

Its weird how it just suddenly works after half a day, since then ive had everything back plugged in and its been running fine

Nuisance tripping of RCDs can be a bit random and annoying to diagnose. I went through it myself recently after fitting an aircon unit in my kitchen and taking it off the socket circuit. 

RCDs have a built-in tolerance for current leakage to earth. Every appliance and circuit will have a normal tiny amount of leakage, and if the cumulative total from all the circuits powered via the RCD main switch exceeds it it will trip. An electrician can check this out pretty quickly (I'm not a sparky but come across this sort of thing when working with them). In my case, it turned out the main switch was oversensitive and tripping below its tolerance. Replaced the switch and all good.

Not sure about the resetting after half a day thing. Is anything on a timer, or do you have solar panels?

16 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Nuisance tripping of RCDs can be a bit random and annoying to diagnose. I went through it myself recently after fitting an aircon unit in my kitchen and taking it off the socket circuit. 

RCDs have a built-in tolerance for current leakage to earth. Every appliance and circuit will have a normal tiny amount of leakage, and if the cumulative total from all the circuits powered via the RCD main switch exceeds it it will trip. An electrician can check this out pretty quickly (I'm not a sparky but come across this sort of thing when working with them). In my case, it turned out the main switch was oversensitive and tripping below its tolerance. Replaced the switch and all good.

Not sure about the resetting after half a day thing. Is anything on a timer, or do you have solar panels?

Nah no time or solar panels, its weird to describe 

When the switch trips and you try flip the socket switch back on the RCD trips immediately when you move the socket switch 

When you leave it for an hour or two, the socket switch almost goes back on before the RCD trips again, 

Im probably miles off here as i havent a clue about sparky stuff, but it's like a charge has built up in a downstairs socket and its overloading the RCD, and then it gradually dissipates until theres nothing there and the sockets can turn back on, only thing is its not one socket lol

Im sure one time i unplugged everything, then after a number of hours it went on, so i plugged everything in one by one till it tripped, thought it was say the washing machine, but when i unplugged everything and then plugged everything back in but a different order, it was say the cooker that tripped it

If you get me

40 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Nah no time or solar panels, its weird to describe 

When the switch trips and you try flip the socket switch back on the RCD trips immediately when you move the socket switch 

When you leave it for an hour or two, the socket switch almost goes back on before the RCD trips again, 

Im probably miles off here as i havent a clue about sparky stuff, but it's like a charge has built up in a downstairs socket and its overloading the RCD, and then it gradually dissipates until theres nothing there and the sockets can turn back on, only thing is its not one socket lol

Im sure one time i unplugged everything, then after a number of hours it went on, so i plugged everything in one by one till it tripped, thought it was say the washing machine, but when i unplugged everything and then plugged everything back in but a different order, it was say the cooker that tripped it

If you get me

That does sound like a cumulative thing if a different thing causes it to trip when plugged back in in a different order. It should be reasonably straightforward to diagnose, and if you're lucky like me could just be a dodgy main switch.

2 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

That does sound like a cumulative thing if a different thing causes it to trip when plugged back in in a different order. It should be reasonably straightforward to diagnose, and if you're lucky like me could just be a dodgy main switch.

Aye will probs mention to the sparky maintenance guy next time i see him, its not the worst problem given it corrects itself

Hopefully its not a wiring problem downstairs as some of the kitchen plugs are under the units, meaning i need to take apart the unit bottom parts and they are a c**t to take out and put back in again