Quick Question Thread

Evening folks I need a bit of help with the old laptop.

I'm trying to do the hazard perception stuff on the “driving test success” disc, but every time I select my account and proceed, I get hut with an error message saying

(‘9/20/2010 is not a valid date and time) error processing XML time

The program then freezes/crashes.

Can anybody help? I’ve tried the usuals – logging out, reinstalling, checking the set date and time on the laptop, nowts working.

Why have no Scottish drinks companies (most likely Tennent's but Irn-Bru or a whisky maker could also get involved) tried to pounce on St Andrew's day and turn it into a day about their product in the way Guinness have in Ireland?

Also is the saltire flying above 10 downing street??

Why have no Scottish drinks companies (most likely Tennent's but Irn-Bru or a whisky maker could also get involved) tried to pounce on St Andrew's day and turn it into a day about their product in the way Guinness have in Ireland?

I've wondered this for years, don't get it.

Although, with the weather the way it is, having a nigfht out isn't perhaps as tempting as it is mid-march!

In Ireland it is a public holiday.

We don't get a public holiday in Scotland as we are so oppressed.

If there was a holiday for it, I'm sure there would be a LOT more bevvy on the go. However, even if there was - no doubt the majority of people wouldn't get it as their company do 'english bank holidays'.

Tbh... last day of November isn't exactly a day you need to spend more money. Most folk have just had their last pay before christmas and will be rooked.

In Ireland it is a public holiday.

We don't get a public holiday in Scotland as we are so oppressed.

If there was a holiday for it, I'm sure there would be a LOT more bevvy on the go. However, even if there was - no doubt the majority of people wouldn't get it as their company do 'english bank holidays'.

Tbh... last day of November isn't exactly a day you need to spend more money. Most folk have just had their last pay before christmas and will be rooked.

Better if it was a holiday the day after St. Andrews day tongue.gif

Why are heated windscreens not standard on cars these days when it is clear they would be much more useful than heated rear windows?

Probably because they're more expensive.

Why are heated windscreens not standard on cars these days when it is clear they would be much more useful than heated rear windows?

Good point. But the last car that i had this on the window kept cracking.

Both my front and back windscreens are heated. Its awesome. 8)

Yeah so are mine and given last winter and this I would be reluctant to get a car without one again. The difference it makes is tremendous. No scraping for me, I just let the heated seats warm me up while the windscreen defrosts itself.

I know they are more expensive than a window without one but surely in this day and age everyone should have them ?

Guest The Phoenix

Under the law how at what point does someone insulting you allow you to hit them?

Is there such a point? Or can person A say anything they like to person B and person B would always get the jail for raining down the first blow on person A's coupon?

I'm guessing never but Ad Lib will no doubt be along with the definitive answer, shortly.

Under the law how at what point does someone insulting you allow you to hit them?

Is there such a point? Or can person A say anything they like to person B and person B would always get the jail for raining down the first blow on person A's coupon?

think its a bit like being able to swear as much as you like at a boss,but woh betide the boss if he uses one swear word against you.

I can't remember the fecking word for it, but you can basically retaliate in kind to any sort of assault without being charged, but can't use any more force than the initial assault.

If someone is shouting and swearing at you, you can swear back but you can't punch them. If someone punches you, you can punch them back, but you can't stab them, etc.

wouldn't you be charged with it no-matter what and then the jury would decide if you were guilty/ not guilty?

that's just a guess, i know next to nothing about the law.

"There isn't such a point" is probably the short answer.

I can't think of any set of circumstances where assault is subverted by self-defence from verbal attacks. There would probably have to be mitigating circumstances such as fear of immediate physical harm (edit: and the response must be proportionate as per Raith Against the Machine)...

If someone were to lash out, the circumstances would perhaps be considered in the sentence, but it wouldn't "allow" someone to hit another person.

Edited by Ad Lib