Quick Question Thread

Of all the days to get a jammed window we got one last night, as it's freezing and snowing in Glasgow.

Anyone have any tips for how to get the thing shut? Our living room is unbelievably cold, you can see your own breath when you walk in.

Of all the days to get a jammed window we got one last night, as it's freezing and snowing in Glasgow.

Anyone have any tips for how to get the thing shut? Our living room is unbelievably cold, you can see your own breath when you walk in.

What sort of window?

What sort of window?

It's a double hung window, a bit like this but bigger:

post-28935-12908798886572_thumb.jpg

The wood around the glass is proper old fashioned wood, and the bottom part of the window (the bit you move up and down) has been wedged too far up and won't come down. We've tried using as much strength as possible to yank it down, running a knife along the side to unwedge it, we even tried pouring bouling water down both sides. laugh.gif

Our flat is cold enough as it is, so now the living room is like a freezer.

Edited by Guest

It's a double hung window, a bit like this but bigger:

post-28935-12908798886572_thumb.jpg

The wood around the glass is proper old fashioned wood, and the bottom part of the window (the bit you move up and down) has been wedged too far up and won't come down. We've tried using as much strength as possible to yank it down, running a knife along the side to unwedge it, we even tried pouring bouling water down both sides. laugh.gif

Our flat is cold enough as it is, so now the living room is like a freezer.

Try hammering it down. Place a bit of scrap wood on the top of the frame and hit it. This way you won't damage your window. A few firm hits should do the trick and free it.

Try hammering it down. Place a bit of scrap wood on the top of the frame and hit it. This way you won't damage your window. A few firm hits should do the trick and free it.

Last resort? I'd have said to get up on step ladder and check if there's an problem with the pulley ropes either side of the sash window.

Last resort? I'd have said to get up on step ladder and check if there's an problem with the pulley ropes either side of the sash window.

Och it will be fine. It will just be a bit stiff with the cold. Just give it a good whack.

(I am still talking about the window)

Edited by ditots

Cheers for the advice re the window. We've tried everything and it aint coming down, so we've made a temporary solution.

I got a sleeping back and tied the wee bit of rope round the handle of the window, covering the gap. On top of that went a towel which is squeezed in to the four corners, and and in front of that is a pile of clothes, more towels, a Hibs scarf and a Rangers scarf. A quick blast of the heating (which we can't really afford but hey ho) and Bob's your uncle.

Some Bear Grylls shit right there.

Curry fans of Glasgow- lend me your ears.

There place that used to be Cafe India opposite the Mitchell Library, round the corner from the Bon Accord. It burnt down and has now re-opened under a new name.

1) What's it called now, and 2) can anyone recommend it? Few of us going for a ruby next Friday in that neck of the woods and think that's the only one we haven't tried.

Curry fans of Glasgow- lend me your ears.

There place that used to be Cafe India opposite the Mitchell Library, round the corner from the Bon Accord. It burnt down and has now re-opened under a new name.

1) What's it called now, and 2) can anyone recommend it? Few of us going for a ruby next Friday in that neck of the woods and think that's the only one we haven't tried.

Used to be koo-i-noor,however,one that is worth a look is the burkhara Indian that is attached to the lorne hotel in sauchiehall st,it's the best I've been in for a long while.

Used to be koo-i-noor,however,one that is worth a look is the burkhara Indian that is attached to the lorne hotel in sauchiehall st,it's the best I've been in for a long while.

Nah, the koh-i-noor is still in the same place. Bit of googling detective work reveals the place I'm after was called Panjea when it re-opened but is now Madras Palace. It's on Kent Rd.

So any reviews good or bad?

I thought the Bukharah was decent enough but not worth the extra £££ compared to others in the area.

Edited by Fuctifano