Quick Question Thread

Guest The Phoenix

I got a bus straight to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. That was a while ago though.

That's ok, I don't think he was looking for company.

I am planning in taking up the guitar this year (acoustic) I was just wondering how much I should be looking to spend on one as a beginner until I am fairly good and it's worth upgrading? Also where is the best place to pick one up?

If anyone knows a good one online feel free to link cheers :)

I am planning in taking up the guitar this year (acoustic) I was just wondering how much I should be looking to spend on one as a beginner until I am fairly good and it's worth upgrading? Also where is the best place to pick one up?

If anyone knows a good one online feel free to link cheers :)

Acoustic guitars are a bit of a bummer to buy online. For example - I have an Epiphone that cost me £300 and a Stagg that I inherited from my aunt when her arthritis got too bad. The Stagg is probably worth about £80 but is far easier to play and gives a far better sound than the Epiphone. Sometimes you just don't know the quality of one you buy before you try it. For that reason I would go to a shop.

Acoustic guitars are much harder to learn on than Electrics. You're better off finalising your maximum price, going to somewhere like Guitar Guitar and just trying loads of them, and finding the one you think gives you the best sound for the price.

Edited by Gaz

Cheers the thing is though I am a total novice and not really sure what I should be looking for (not great I know) although there is a music shop in Kirkcaldy I will go to instead of online, and as for money I am not really setting a price as such was just looking to get a gauge on how much I would need to save to get a good guitar for a beginner.

Cheers the thing is though I am a total novice and not really sure what I should be looking for (not great I know) although there is a music shop in Kirkcaldy I will go to instead of online, and as for money I am not really setting a price as such was just looking to get a gauge on how much I would need to save to get a good guitar for a beginner.

I would probably advise you to get an electric, for a few reasons:

There are really good starter packs available for beginners, particularly from Squier (Fender's own budget brand), that will come with an amp, lead, case, everything you need;

Electric guitars are easier to play - they have narrower necks, so you don't have to stretch your fingers as much;

Because they're easier to play, you can improve on them quicker and you're less likely to give up.

For example, here's Guitar Guitar's starter package for a Squier pack - £155.

There are cheaper packages available on eBay from Encore, Behringer, Westfield and other cheap strat copy manufacturers, but Squier guitars are pretty decent for the money. And they hold their value reasonably well, so when you're ready to move on you can always sell your guitar for a decent price.

You get on a train. You don't have a ticket. The Conductor comes up and asks for your ticket. You tell him you don't have one. He tries to make you buy one but you don't have any money. What happens?

Thrown off at the next stop? British Transport Police called? Other action?

Anyone know?

You get on a train. You don't have a ticket. The Conductor comes up and asks for your ticket. You tell him you don't have one. He tries to make you buy one but you don't have any money. What happens?

Anyone know?

Sounds like a job for the Big Man.

Anyone know?

British Transport Police, I would have thought. Not sure conductors have the legal right to physically remove someone from a train. I imagine they'd get the BTP to meet the train at the next stop.

I've had a quick look through the usual suspects and I can't see any on tonight's FA Cup replays on the box. Am I missing something or are none of the games on live tonight?

You're not missing something - there's two live games on at the same time tomorrow night, though.

I've had a quick look through the usual suspects and I can't see any on tonight's FA Cup replays on the box. Am I missing something or are none of the games on live tonight?

West Bromwich Albion vs Queens Park Rangers sems to be available online ph34r.gif