Quick Question Thread

Can you drink alcohol at Rugby matches in Scotland?

Provided the stadium has a licence, yes. When the Warriors were at Firhill they sold pints through the sponsors of the relevant competition at a couple of kiosks in the Jackie Husband Stand. They had a machine that used magnets to pour a froth-free pint in 9 seconds.

I presume Scotstoun has something similar and I know Murrayfield does. The only other place professional or international rugby is played in Scotland these days tends to be Pittodrie, and I don't know whether they use a licence there.

Anywhere else where it's played presumably it just depends on whether the stadium or clubhouse has a licence. I'd imagine some of the bigger amateur teams will routinely serve some sort of draft, and I know some of the bigger cricket clubs, amateur and semi-pro, have clubhouses with licences.

The ban on drink at the football is a bit naff but you can understand it in the context of the OF.

The only other place professional or international rugby is played in Scotland these days tends to be Pittodrie, and I don't know whether they use a licence there.

They don't. Capri-Sun if you're lucky.

Guest The Phoenix

I know some of the bigger cricket clubs, amateur and semi-pro, have clubhouses with licences.

Semi-pro? :huh:

There are only amateur cricket clubs in Scotland. Most of the bigger amateur clubs will hire a professional (usually from overseas) who will generally play as well as coach.

The vast majority of National League Clubs have their own clubhouse with a licence to sell alcohol as do a sizeable number of clubs outside of the set up.

Cheers, Senior_Coconut and Ad Lib.

My sister was arguing that the legislation introduced after the 1980 Cup Final banning alcohol in football grounds included other sporting events but I wasn't convinced. Pleasing.

It did include Scotland rugby internationals at the time that the ban was introduced. The SRU specifically asked for Murrayfield to be included.

It took them quite some time to realise what a stupid idea it was. They lost alcohol sales when all the other 5/6 nations teams were making money by charging extortionate prices for drink inside the ground.

It took them a number of years after this to get permission to commence sales inside the ground. From memory, the first match was against the Barbarians in 2003ish

For the past two weeks I've been unable to stop thinking about what comes after death. I've no idea what started this thought pattern but every time I'm not concentrating on something it pops in. And trying to get to sleep is a battle. I've got the general thought that there can be nothing afterwards, as your brain gives you conciousness and controls your senses and the like. And I can see no logical reason an afterlife exists, no matter how much I try as the idea of simply slipping into the Abyss and completely ending in every form terrifies me.

I know this isn't technically a quick question but I wanted to ask here as starting a thread would just attract trolls more easily. Has anyone else ever been haunted by constant thoughts like this or am I just odd?

Guest The Phoenix

For the past two weeks I've been unable to stop thinking about what comes after death. I've no idea what started this thought pattern but every time I'm not concentrating on something it pops in. And trying to get to sleep is a battle. I've got the general thought that there can be nothing afterwards, as your brain gives you conciousness and controls your senses and the like. And I can see no logical reason an afterlife exists, no matter how much I try as the idea of simply slipping into the Abyss and completely ending in every form terrifies me.

I know this isn't technically a quick question but I wanted to ask here as starting a thread would just attract trolls more easily. Has anyone else ever been haunted by constant thoughts like this or am I just odd?

Dead odd IMO

I have a gif of a fat guy wearing only swimming trunks and shades, lying on his side with his head resting on his hand, sliding sideways along a garden waterslide with the words 'deal with it' appearing from behind him, but unfortunately I don't know how to post it.

If you could just imagine it in your head for me, that would be awesome.

Cheers, Senior_Coconut and Ad Lib.

My sister was arguing that the legislation introduced after the 1980 Cup Final banning alcohol in football grounds included other sporting events but I wasn't convinced. Pleasing.

For what it's worth you can definitely get a pint on matchdays at 3 of the 4 ice-rinks in Scotland that host professional ice-hockey. Edinburgh is the exception but you can go out at the breaks and grab one then anyway.

Semi-pro? :huh:

There are only amateur cricket clubs in Scotland. Most of the bigger amateur clubs will hire a professional (usually from overseas) who will generally play as well as coach.

The vast majority of National League Clubs have their own clubhouse with a licence to sell alcohol as do a sizeable number of clubs outside of the set up.

Yeah that's what I meant. Was talking about clubs like Aberdeenshire who pay a pro or two for coaching etc.

They don't. Capri-Sun if you're lucky.

Div will be looking out his ban-hammer in case Nil By Mouth are watching.

Does anyone know of any boozers near Central station in Glasgow that'll let you in with football colours?

Highly doubtful for Hibs colours IMO.

Simply ask yourself what happens to a beetle / ant whatever when one dies and realise humans are just one of thousands of difference species on this planet, just like them. Do you think insects have an afterlife? (and don't bother about reincarnation, life clearly multiplies, going against the idea that one 'soul' is passed onto the other).

I received my March payslip (last one of the tax year) and I've calculated that I'm due a tax rebate of just shy of £700.

Do I need to contact HMRC to receive this? Their pre-recorded message says that I don't, but to be honest I don't trust them - they'll probably put it toward a high speed rail line linking King's Cross with St Pancras.

Should I expect to receive this rebate in due course or is there some action I need to take?

Edited by Gaz