The New Raith Rovers Thread

Apart from the fact that Jackie McNamara is an ex-townie hoor scumbag, I'm getting a feeling for him being the new manager today. Tomorrow it'll be someone different, Gary Naysmith or the likes.

What approach do you the think the club should take for the next manager?

Should we be after guys sacked from Premiership teams? They've at least shown enough promise to get one of these gigs, even if it hasn't worked out. In Jackie's case, United had a fair amount of success before his final season went pear-shaped.

Or should we stick to current players, ex youth coaches and über diddy team managers?

Not forgetting ex-players. What about these guys?

Edited by Scary Bear

Apart from the fact that Jackie McNamara is an ex-townie hoor scumbag, I'm getting a feeling for him being the new manager today. Tomorrow it'll be someone different, Gary Naysmith or the likes.

What approach do you the think the club should take for the next manager?

Should we be after guys sacked from Premiership teams? They've at least shown enough promise to get one of these gigs, even if it hasn't worked out. In Jackie's case, United had a fair amount of success before his final season went pear-shaped.

Or should we stick to current players, ex youth coaches and über diddy team managers?

Not forgetting ex-players. What about these guys?

I've decided, Cleland will do

Scrap that. I want Cleland.

Failing that Jack Ross or Stuart McCall would be joint second choice.

As a non Raith fan I think you guys will attract a decent standard of Manager. The usual suspects are always mentioned. Calderwood, Dodds, Murray etc.

Murray let himself down by appointing a strange No.2 and not engaging with the fans in Paisley.

He might be a decent appointment for you guys.

McNamara is somebody who I have never rated as a manager. He inherited a decent side at United and turned it to shit. They also used to seem to win convincingly one week and get pumped then next. No thank you.

Edited by Enigma

McNamara is somebody who I have never rated as a manager. He inherited a decent side at United and turned it to shit. They also used to seem to win convincingly one week and get pumped then next. No thank you.

My memory is failing me, who was the United manager before him?

I tweeted Antonio Calderon if he fancied it and he's favourited it. I was hoping from a reply from the Spanish impresario if I'm being completely honest, but never mind.

There seems to be a line of thought, not necessarily claimed on this thread incidentally, that a "young hungry" manager is the way to go these days, and that older heads are "dinosaurs" but I'm not really sure that's the case.

Some of the older boys are definitely out of touch right enough. The stuff that came to light about how Jimmy Calderwood handled things at Killie didn't show him in a good light, while Jim Jefferies and Jimmy Nicholl are clearly busted flushes, but there's also a fair number of young managers who have been out their depth too.

I really think that if you're a good manager you're a good manager, no matter how old you are.

Cleland would be an interesting one, and seems to be pretty highly thought of, so that could be a fine choice.

Something utterly left-field would be magic, and at least would make our dismal failure quite funny. Maybe Bungle from Rainbow, or a management team of Bucks Fizz?

I can't imagine Cheryl Baker and pals would fare any worse than Gordon Dalziel.

Oh, and as for Jackie McNamara, he seems a real glass-half-empty boy. How someone so miserable could write a sitcom, I've no idea. He can act like Victor Meldrew for all I care if we're winning right enough, but I'm not sure we can have such a misery chops in charge.

Edited by McGuigan1978

One bad managerial performance and you are pretty much finished in the eyes of most fans.

Ian Murray has went from hot property to useless in a season.

Players seem to get a bit more leeway. They can fail at one club and fairly easily pick up another club.

Ian Murray is a massive gamble after St mirren but he might have learnt massively from it.

Ask Dumbarton fans what they think of him.. They were glad when he left them.

We need to stay clear of him or I fear we'll be sucked into a relegation scrap next season

Edited by Rovers1992/1993

Ian Murray is a massive gamble after St mirren but he might have learnt massively from it.

Any manager is a massive gamble. Especially when you're the likes of Raith Rovers and can't attract the best.

It's just your luck. If he (or she, for the person wanting the female manager) manages to get on well with the players and find an effective system. Even better if that effective system isn't absolute torture for the fans to watch.

Any manager is a massive gamble. Especially when you're the likes of Raith Rovers and can't attract the best.

It's just your luck. If he (or she, for the person wanting the female manager) manages to get on well with the players and find an effective system. Even better if that effective system isn't absolute torture for the fans to watch.

So Ian Murray's out the frame then..

I've decided, Cleland will do

Scrap that. I want Cleland.

Failing that Jack Ross or Stuart McCall would be joint second choice.

You want Cleland. Even though he's never managed before and could be fucking awful as a manager. But Murray who had done well at this level will have us relegated. Makes sense.

I would say they are both gambles. If you were giving percentage chances of each of them being successful at Rovers, what would your thought process be?

You want Cleland. Even though he's never managed before and could be fucking awful as a manager. But Murray who had done well at this level will have us relegated. Makes sense.

I would say they are both gambles. If you were giving percentage chances of each of them being successful at Rovers, what would your thought process be?

Murray did well with Dumbarton when Ross was there as his assistant. He left and Murray turned to sh*t with Dumbarton. He then went to St Mirren, had a much larger budget than what we can offer him yet his team finished 20 points behind us, he lasted until November before St Mirren realised how much of a mistake that they made on appointing him. There is not one fan that will turn round and say he's a good manager, including Dumbarton fans..

Cleland is an U20's coach with very decent contacts, St Johnstone fans all rave about him. He's also a guy who will probably focus a lot on trying to bring the youth through. He may turn out to be an awful manager.

What would you rather though? Murray, a manager who's proven to be poor at this level or Cleland, an untested manager? I know what I'd rather have.

I also never said Murray would have us relegated..

By the way, I've no real desire to see Murray in the dugout. Just that surname is enough to put me off.

I'll be getting whoever the Board decide is the man, so no point worrying too much about it.

If I was on the Board, my checklist would be:

1. Excellent man management skills.

2. Previous successful management experience, preferably winning something.

3. Not too many failed managerial gigs.

I saw Barry Smiths name mentioned. I've no idea what Barry Smith is like, but surely the Board could just ask Bene, Toshney and Davo, given he managed them.

Murray did well with Dumbarton when Ross was there as his assistant. He left and Murray turned to sh*t with Dumbarton. He then went to St Mirren, had a much larger budget than what we can offer him yet his team finished 20 points behind us, he lasted until November before St Mirren realised how much of a mistake that they made on appointing him. There is not one fan that will turn round and say he's a good manager, including Dumbarton fans..

Cleland is an U20's coach with very decent contacts, St Johnstone fans all rave about him. He's also a guy who will probably focus a lot on trying to bring the youth through. He may turn out to be an awful manager.

What would you rather though? Murray, a manager who's proven to be poor at this level or Cleland, an untested manager? I know what I'd rather have.

I also never said Murray would have us relegated..

You said Murray would have us in a relegation scrap. Good to know we'll win this relegation scrap under him.

In which case I choose Murray over Cleland.

He might have but I would not put a penny on it. He started with only 6 players so had a complete clean sheet and a decent budget. He went on holiday after appointed then went on a coaching course in Prague and by the time he returned pre-season was almost over and we were still scratching around for a squad.

Most of the players he signed were binned either in January or at the end of the season there. The months under Murray were probably the worst football I have ever seen from a St Mirren team and that is saying something. But maybe he did learn and I am happy for him to prove it elsewhere but never again at St Mirren.

I'm totally relaxed about whoever the manager is having previous failure in their CV - particularly in short timescales football managers have less control over events than many people (including them) often like to imagine, and failure can happen. The best ones will have learned from it.

In any case the only ones who don't have that are either not available because they've moved on to a level above us, or they have no or very little experience. And I'm perfectly open to having someone without experience as well, but not just for the sake of it.