The New Raith Rovers Thread

Has their ever been a manager so shamelessly fawning over one team while managing another?
Genuinely beggars belief some of the stuff I've seen since he's been in charge, assuming you lot are pretty fucked off about it?

You could say that. I think a lot of our support are pretty fucked off with the whole mini Jambos shtick, which largely goes back to when Levein was appointed manager.

7 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Has their ever been a manager so shamelessly fawning over one team while managing another?

Genuinely beggars belief some of the stuff I've seen since he's been in charge, assuming you lot are pretty fucked off about it?

I don't think Gary Locke is in the Alex Rae and Barry Ferguson league. 

We seem to have taken the signing of another Garypal very well. Don't know anything about young Mr Syme other than the obvious but is it just me that's pissed off that we've signed what we gave to Rangers - a young defender? We could have, you know, kept the one we had? Another development player replaced by a pal of Gary. And where is the money coming from if no-one left last night? Do we have more money under the mattress than any of us think? I can think of a very clear, more pressing and better thing to do with any funds we have...

12 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

We seem to have taken the signing of another Garypal very well. Don't know anything about young Mr Syme other than the obvious but is it just me that's pissed off that we've signed what we gave to Rangers - a young defender? We could have, you know, kept the one we had? Another development player replaced by a pal of Gary. And where is the money coming from if no-one left last night? Do we have more money under the mattress than any of us think? I can think of a very clear, more pressing and better thing to do with any funds we have...

This is why folk struggle to fork out for the development.

Seriously we've got 3 players for that position already are they really telling us we had nobody that could sit on the bench if there was an injury or somebody had left in January.

The board go on and on about developing players but lets look at the facts.

Over the past 10 years we have really only seen 5 players come through our youth system to become first team players. Callachan, Matthews, Vaughan, Bates and Laidlaw. Yes there have been a few others that have graced the bench but never made any impact whatsoever. Out of those 5 Laidlaw was released and Hibs signed him. Did we offer him a new deal so that we might at least get some sort of development fee? I don't recall we did. Bates has basically been handed on a plate to Rangers for less than a packet of salt and vinegar quavers. Vaughan has been isolated by our esteemed manager and effectively forced out of the club. That leaves only Callachan and Matthews. 10 years and we have 2 of our own developed players in our first team. That is a shocking statistic. 

The board question why fans aren't putting the money into the Development Fund but there are 2 easy answers.

Firstly, there has been very little youth progress made by ourselves. We don't even play in the property Development League but instead the Development League East beside Berwick, Forfar, Stirling, Livi, Alloa and Cowden. We don't see players making the jump from Development to First team and this is highlighted by us not evening listed youth players on the bench but either 5 or 6 subs or 2 keepers. 

Secondly, the Bates situation. The whole point in developing players is to help both us and them push on and, ultimately when they do leave we make sure we get a good price for them. To let go of our best defensive prospect in years for virtually nothing is a scandal. It gives no confidence to the fans, and anyone paying in, that the club will get a return for the investment being made.

I've never seen a club so short sighted as us, we're turning into the Hearts retirement squad, they can't for the life of see we have hungry young players waiting for their chance. What kind of prospect is that. Osei, Thorsen and Coustrain need to be involved.

There's never really been much clarity on the likes of Coustrain, Thorsen and Osei other than Locke stating that the latter was struggling with the intensity of first team training albeit that was a while ago. I really feel sorry for Coustrain as I thought he looked quite an exciting wee player when he played against Ayr (and scored a goal on top of that) to then see him dropped for the next game and not get a look in since. Osei, as has been reported, seems to be/has been scoring goals for fun in the development league but again nowt to suggest he's going to be getting any 1st team game time anytime soon. I remember we also let a 17 year old, can't remember his name, go to Hibs not that long ago for a fee and he hadn't even had any 1st team games for us. Can't stand in his way though eh :rolleyes:

There's a definite separation at present between the board and the fans and fans and management etc. I can't see it being long before some press release comes out from the board backing Locke and once again advising the fans to come together and support the club blah blah blah. We'll probably the get the old 'if there's lack of money coming into the club via the fans then the budget will be slashed' which was mentioned last season and we've somehow managed to assemble the biggest squad we've had in donkeys years. I really don't know what it'll take for the board to wake up. Eric, from what I'm led to believe, reads P&B and Fantalk so should be well aware of the unrest amongst the supporters. I'm not on social media so I can only imagine what our Facebook page has been like lately. Saturday was weird though, not much in the way of mega abuse being shown towards Locke compared to how tight Murray got it. It's as if the fans have lost the energy to even give a toss and have accepted we're guff and that it is what it is.

One thing I did like to see after the Dumbarton game was the Raith TV interview with Locke bringing up the fact the fans weren't happy. I get they won't want to rock the boat to much due to the service they provide but it's about time things like this were brought up and dare I say maybe some choice questions being asked of what's going on. It's about as close as we can get to regular updates on the Rovers minus the FFP so perhaps questions along the line "so Gary, do you even have a fucking clue what you're doing?" might be a start.

Locke doing Hearts v SEVCO on BT rather than seeing if any of the young guys on the teamsheet above have the potential to step up for us in future. Says it all about his attitude to youth development. Walloper.

Locke doing Hearts v SEVCO on BT rather than seeing if any of the young guys on the teamsheet above have the potential to step up for us in future. Says it all about his attitude to youth development. Walloper.

Bit harsh in sure he will have seen the young kids loads of times!