The New Raith Rovers Thread

Winter is coming .you lot skating on thin ice ? Away up the to the top of StClair Street and stay worm . Its were the the money is and a think you lot are going under so never laugh at your neighbours down the Standing Stane

And suddenly the race is on amongst the archaeology set to discover a new Rosetta stone.

50 minutes ago, fiferjon said:

Winter is coming .you lot skating on thin ice ? Away up the to the top of StClair Street and stay worm . Its were the the money is and a think you lot are going under so never laugh at your neighbours down the Standing Stane

Stay worm this winter everyone.

We haven't adequately replaced Callachan and it's really beginning to show.  Today was a horror show in the middle of the park.

We are also suffering from having to play a league 1 reject in goals.

We were awful today and there are clear problems areas beginning to show.

I’ve often thought that people from methil resembled white walkers... aka zombies....

Yesterday's result wasn't the worry it was the performance. Your aren't going to win every game and there will be games that don't go to plan....see Celtic drawing at home to Killie. However our performance and tactics was all over the place and it's common themes that seem to be happening each game we don't win.

Yesterday was a perfect time to play the ball on the ground. The wind was swirling and we're playing 4 attackers on the smaller side of things. The last thing we should be doing is punting the ball long as we're not playing to any of their strengths. It actually looks like we're doing it because we currently have nothing in central midfield. There's no link play and Herron strolls around there trying to look the part whilst offering very little. Our best games recent were the wins over St Mirren and Arbroath and playing 3 in the middle and only 1 up top. Spence and Buchanan looked like the dream partnership but it just doesn't seem to be happening for them.

If we come back and win next week in a derby then we can point to an attitude issue with some of the team. It shouldn't take poor away performances away from home to ensure we go out with a better attitude the following week.

Next week will be tough. When we won 5-0 we had a spine of Callachan, Robertson, Bene and Davo only one will be there for this. We bullied East Fife that game and it really was keen against boys. I hope we don't put Robertson into centre back as he simply can't play there. Forfar were brave enough to put a few of their development team in yesterday and Smith should look to do the same to fill that gap.

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

One player I'd be really interested to see getting time about the first team is Ryan Stevenson. Scored a couple the other night and set up a few today. Seems to be an excellent young prospect. 

I’d love to see Johnny Court get more game time, the one forward we have with a physical presence, and doesn’t fall over.

2 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

I’d love to see Johnny Court get more game time, the one forward we have with a physical presence, and doesn’t fall over.

Court's role at the moment very much seems to be "We're needing a physical presence, go on and batter people". He had an excellent finish against Ayr in that final game of last season. It was hilarious to see him utterly ruin the supposed hard-man Marvin Bartley within 2 minutes of coming on at Easter Road earlier in the year. 

23 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

Yesterday's result wasn't the worry it was the performance. Your aren't going to win every game and there will be games that don't go to plan....see Celtic drawing at home to Killie. However our performance and tactics was all over the place and it's common themes that seem to be happening each game we don't win.

Yesterday was a perfect time to play the ball on the ground. The wind was swirling and we're playing 4 attackers on the smaller side of things. The last thing we should be doing is punting the ball long as we're not playing to any of their strengths. It actually looks like we're doing it because we currently have nothing in central midfield. There's no link play and Herron strolls around there trying to look the part whilst offering very little. Our best games recent were the wins over St Mirren and Arbroath and playing 3 in the middle and only 1 up top. Spence and Buchanan looked like the dream partnership but it just doesn't seem to be happening for them.

If we come back and win next week in a derby then we can point to an attitude issue with some of the team. It shouldn't take poor away performances away from home to ensure we go out with a better attitude the following week.

Next week will be tough. When we won 5-0 we had a spine of Callachan, Robertson, Bene and Davo only one will be there for this. We bullied East Fife that game and it really was keen against boys. I hope we don't put Robertson into centre back as he simply can't play there. Forfar were brave enough to put a few of their development team in yesterday and Smith should look to do the same to fill that gap.

Said as much on fantalk. Spence and Buchanan aren't working as a partnership. We either stick with the 4-4-2 as we have it now, but either play Court or Zanatta, someone who conceivably can bully defenders and play with their back to goal when the ball inevitably goes long, or go back to a 3 man midfield so we have a platform to build on. I'd go with the latter right now and a front 6 that includes Vaughan, Spence (or Buchanan), Barr and Herron should have enough to cause teams problems.

Can't say I've found Buchanan disappointing. His link up play is excellent, and he's created and scored a few.  Generally speaking, I think people might've hoped Spence and Buchanan might have scored more, but I think it's difficult as they're tending to drop back as we've lost Callachan and had to put Robertson into defence.

I think the jury is out on Zanatta at the moment. He looked good at Queens Park and scored against Airdrie, but he's had quite a few incidents where he's been found out for diving where he could create a chance.

22 hours ago, rw89 said:

One player I'd be really interested to see getting time about the first team is Ryan Stevenson. Scored a couple the other night and set up a few today. Seems to be an excellent young prospect. 

I had a double take there. I'd forgotten that there is another one and not just your goalie from last season!