The New Raith Rovers Thread

Kevin Cuthbert doesn't like the Irn Bru cup.

Gie him the job.

He actually speaks fairly well, can talk a good fight. Can imagine he'd impress in an interview on that basis.

Edited by renton

Posted on fantalk

might have resigned but his contract stipulates that he has to give 4 months' (!) notice. My understanding is that he asked Sim for the dosh from the Supporters' Club to sign a player. Sim's response was-"on the back of 2 wins? Let's wait and see how the next 4 games go". Baz could take no more and walked.[/u]

34 minutes ago, renton said:

Kevin Cuthbert doesn't like the Irn Bru cup.

Gie him the job.

He actually speaks fairly well, can talk a good fight. Can imagine he'd impress in an interview on that basis.

Apparently GarriLoake interviews well and that's how the board fell for it hook, line and sinker. 

As a fellow Rovers supporter said about Locke interviewing well 'Aye, so did Jack the Ripper, that's how he was let go'. 

3 minutes ago, Specky Ginger said:

Apparently GarriLoake interviews well and that's how the board fell for it hook, line and sinker. 

As a fellow Rovers supporter said about Locke interviewing well 'Aye, so did Jack the Ripper, that's how he was let go'. 

Yeah, and I was of course being a bit tongue in cheek (and having heard that fucker speak, it says a hell of a lot more about the interviewer than it does about any hidden toast master talents Locke might have). We absolutely should go through the formal procedures on interviewing Darren Young for a third time, ignore all John McGlynn's increasingly plaintive texts and declare a great short list from the 70-80 cliched "I was good at football manager" CVs first.

Edited by renton

Posted on fantalk
might have resigned but his contract stipulates that he has to give 4 months' (!) notice. My understanding is that he asked Sim for the dosh from the Supporters' Club to sign a player. Sim's response was-"on the back of 2 wins? Let's wait and see how the next 4 games go". Baz could take no more and walked.[/u]

I wouldn't be surprised if a manager does have something like this written into their contract. It basically protects them financially regardless of being sacked or walking. Any club will more than likely waive the notice period as there's no point having an unhappy manager that wants away in charge. It also protects the club in case there's a situation like what seems to have happened at Morton with McKinnon.

Regardless of all of this. I doubt we'll see him back in the Raith dugout again. Any contact between him and the club is likely a formality.

17 minutes ago, Rovers_Lad said:

Posted on fantalk

I think in this case Sim’s response was on point.

4 months' notice is absolutely hilarious - if it's true - for a football manager. It's one sixth of his entire contract for goodness sake! 

Pointless negotiating/keeping communication with him open - he wants to go. Pay him until the day he resigned and that's the end of it. 

Edited by Michael W

Rovers fans, a timeline -

25th August 16:45. “Booooooooo, get Barry Smith in the bin.”

1st September 17:00. “I think we’ve maybe turned a corner you know”

4th September 17:00 “Wait, Barry Smith has resigned? I’m not sure about this, better the devil you know and all that.”

6th September 14:00 “He’s still in dialogue with the club and might be coming back? Boooooo”

4th September 17:00 “Wait, Barry Smith has resigned? I’m not sure about this, better the devil you know and all that.”

6th September 14:00 “He’s still in dialogue with the club and might be coming back? Boooooo”

A confused picture indeed.

Anyway, he’s offski. Next!

I’m with Sim on the ‘no signings Baz, we’ve won 2 games without them’ front. I though Barry’s main strength was his resilience. Clearly he has a limit. Seems a bit mad to throw his toys out the pram now, unless Sim had verbally guaranteed him a new signing.

Maybe Sim got wind of who Barry was after and thought ‘f**k this Bazza you’re not wasting money on him with a squad you said is capable of winning the league no matter how thin it is’. Do we even know when this £15k magically became available? After 2 decent results on the bounce, being joint top, Vaughan coming back the board might have wanted to chance holding onto the money til January.

3 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Maybe Sim got wind of who Barry was after and thought ‘f**k this Bazza you’re not wasting money on him with a squad you said is capable of winning the league no matter how thin it is’. Do we even know when this £15k magically became available? After 2 decent results on the bounce, being joint top, Vaughan coming back the board might have wanted to chance holding onto the money til January.

The 15k was a commitment from members of the Raith forum. 

It's still an option as far as I know. 

1 hour ago, McGuigan1978 said:

7th September 15.00 "Kevin Cuthbert comes across well in his Raith TV interview. Let's give him a chance".

The fact that Sim felt it necessary to decide that money made available specifically for the purpose of the manager strengthening the squad wasn't required suggests he didn't have an overwhelming confidence in Baz using it wisely.

I'm sorry but whether or not there is any truth in this story. If people genuinely think it's acceptable for a man who's half way round the world and had absolutely no experience in football whatsoever to make any type of football decision then why don't we just have a committee with all the old codgers picking the team?

Either get someone on the BoD who knows what they're doing regarding footballing matters or trust the manager that they've appointed.

The fact that Sim felt it necessary to decide that money made available specifically for the purpose of the manager strengthening the squad wasn't required suggests he didn't have an overwhelming confidence in Baz using it wisely.

I'm sorry but whether or not there is any truth in this story. If people genuinely think it's acceptable for a man who's half way round the world and had absolutely no experience in football whatsoever to make any type of football decision then why don't we just have a committee with all the old codgers picking the team?

Either get someone on the BoD who knows what they're doing regarding footballing matters or trust the manager that they've appointed.

2 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

If people genuinely think it's acceptable for a man who's half way round the world and had absolutely no experience in football whatsoever to make any type of football decision then why don't we just have a committee with all the old codgers picking the team?

Eric Drysdale got away with it for years.