The New Raith Rovers Thread

23 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I don't understand how that has anything to do with my post. And no I wasn't able to get there unfortunately. Or are you referring to the Airdrie game? In which case I was.

If you'd been there you'd have seen the sprinkler system at work.

Maybe it did. I wouldn't say he was overly keen for getting involved with the fans and town etc but would that have made him any better as a manager if he did.

He had a job to do and granted it didn't work the firs time but that made him even more determined because he was getting seriously desperate. If he had failed this season by either missing out on promotion or being sacked mid season then any chance of a career in full time football was gone for a long time. He wasn't the given the tools he felt he needed for the job and walked.

This is now on the BoD and owner of the club IMO. Do they make the job attractive and magic up some funds from somewhere or do they keep to the rule they've set and hope we can get a new manager who can work under these conditions?
Yes.

"and granted he didn't do it" ftfy.

The rest is your usual nonsense.

3 hours ago, liam_barnett said:

The only thing I really took out of it was that a lot of this appears to have come down to budget, the board would promise Smith X amount of money for a player & he would put in an offer for one then have to withdraw it as it suddenly appears that the money he was promised isn't there in the first place :rolleyes:

If true, that's worrying. 

On the whole I find it hard to sympathise with the budget angle because failure last season has its price, but of funds were promised and then not delivered that's a different story and it's hardly surprising Smith got pissed off. It's disrespectful. 

I recall that the move for the Dundee defender last season was canned after it was seemingly agreed, but can't think of anything reported since (hearsay or otherwise) regarding similar events. 

Aye, the Gadzhov deal was cancelled as far as I’m aware last season, and to be honest, rightly so, as we had a player in Dave McKay who was able to play in there extremely effectively. Smith’s lack of trust in him was strange.

Barry said in the build up to the Cowdenbeath match that he had a budget that allowed him to bring in a back up goalkeeper and no-one else, including loan players.

Of course, different conversations may have taken place after that point about the budget being extended or whatever, but on the surface, nothing seems to have changed between that point and now.

So this issue with the board saying money is there then it’s not. When Locke was here the board let him sign whoever he wanted with no questions asked, and then admitted they should have been a bit more questioning of his signings.

Which leads to the question of if it’s the board saying money is available then changing their mind for no reason. Or is the board changing their mind based on who Smith wanted to sign?

Our squad is pretty unbalanced, with no cover in certain positions, which is pretty obvious to everyone. So if the board have said money’s available and then Smith has said he wanted to sign another striker for example then I’d kinda expect the board to be questioning that.

So this issue with the board saying money is there then it’s not. When Locke was here the board let him sign whoever he wanted with no questions asked, and then admitted they should have been a bit more questioning of his signings.

Which leads to the question of if it’s the board saying money is available then changing their mind for no reason. Or is the board changing their mind based on who Smith wanted to sign?

It’s a different board.

I’m not sure I buy the line about transfers. If it were true, Smith would’ve walked last week. He can now only sign players for 90 days, whereas last week he could take them until the end of the season. If he had players lined up, it was last week.

It’s almost definitely a big factor though. The timing just doesn’t quite fit. Most likely there’s been a meeting between Sim and Smith on Tuesday. They’ve discussed a range of things, including transfer budget, and it’s ended up in a shouting match and Smith walking.