The New Raith Rovers Thread

Cuthbert knows how to win promotion.

Cuthbert also knows how to bounce back from set backs.

Cuthbert has bottle.

Cuthbert should be yer man.

Cheap option but definitely the best option.

Dude, we’re all gutted your injuries ended your career. And we’re all grateful you booted Yogi out of Starks. But soz, yer no getting the joab

even though the window is closed, we can still bring players in on free to bolster the squad if budget was to magically be available. There are some decent players out there without a club - older, perhaps, but could easily do a job in this division.

It may have been a case that with the relationship breaking down, the board were not prepared to take the chance he would leave, and therefore holding some back. Sims is not short of a few quid - if he wanted to put his hand in his pocket for the right man, he would.

Its not a bad job to take. Someone coming in would have to work with a full time team in a part time league - that's an advantage there itself. We are playing pretty well, and getting the right man

Wouldn't say delighted but certainly happier that Smith has gone. His failure (3 Alloa games)  last season meant he should have been away in May. Also he was far too wedded to his ideas on setting up a side (even when he hadn't the players to do it), had his  favourites/yes men (eg not Spencey) and showed absolutely no interest in the youth dev' set up doing his best to get it scrappedto get increased funds for the 1st team. Add to this his general demeanour with the media/fans and he was quite a package and not in a good way either. The one good thing he has done is walking away as it will mean there may be money (if anything was being held back to pay his contract off) to compensate for a new man or bring in a few loan signings.

Potential candidates?  

Cuthbert? I'd let him take the team on Saturday at Dingwall but that should be it as far as it goes for him, I'm not sure the Cat isn't just as culpable as Smith for some of whats gone on before.

McGlynn? I'd be happy to have him back, I think he feels there is unfinished business at SP.

Danny Lennon? Would be a good upgrade on Smith. In fact the same could be said for Duffy, Goodwin, Stubbs and Houston

Hartley? I'm just not sure about Harts, he did well at Alloa then lost his way at Dundee. I'd pretty much discount anything that happened at Falkirk as that seems to be a club in dire straights at present, one  who need stability before that can move on.

Easton is settled at Utd and isn't really ready to step up, Laurie Ellis might be but would he want to?

A Gordon Wallace or Jimmy Nicol player manager might be ok but Wallace inherited a good set up from Willie McLean and Jimmy brought in Martin Harvey without whom I doubt he'd have been so successful.

Why do people keep mentioning Alan Stubbs? He isn't going to take a job in League One up here. Plus, he's proved to be an utter failure in his last two jobs and didn't get a Hibs team with McGinn, Henderson, Stokes, Cummings etc promoted in two seasons.

Duffy could be the right guy to steady the ship - and it would also rule him out of sorting Dumbarton out once they ditch Aitken.

For this season we need someone who can steady the ship and get promotion Jim Duffy has done that before and although i'm not a fan of the man Peter Houston has a good track record at Dundee United and Falkirk.  Both without clubs and wouldn't break the bank I'd assume?

There's always the potential that anyone who's just recently been sacked and has received a 'pay off' will be less inclined to worry about how much money they'll be getting by taking our job.

From what I understand, it's that for obvious reasons, clubs don't pay managers off with 'lump sums' of cash that they've got sitting about. The more likely scenario is that they're kept on the payroll for the remainder of their contract term.

This logic should also be applied to anyone who thinks that the BoD were sitting on a nice big pile of cash waiting to pay Smith off. The more likely scenario for not being able to sack him is that the club can't afford to have Smith/Cuthbert still on the payroll at the same time as another manager and coaching staff.

13 hours ago, SuperHans said:

emoji122.pngemoji122.png fucking brilliant! He's only gone and sussed it! A complete "masterstroke"!! The BoD deliberately wanted to give him limited resources which would put the us at a disadvantage from the start of the season. I actually saw Bill Clarke kick the seat in front of him in rage when Nisbet scorer the last 2 goals against Airdrie. They were so desperate to get rid of him...

This tops the lot!

Why on earth would the BoD put themselves and the club under so much pressure? And with all this cash we've somehow saved from not allowing Smith to buy in the players we so desperately needed we can now poach Pep Guardiola.

You're right though, maybe the BoD didn't do that because they're not tripping on fucking acid and you really are the only person smart enough to have come up with this theory...

Relax. It was a tongue in cheek theory. 

The Board would have sacked him at the end of last season if they could have afforded it. They only didn’t because they couldn’t afford to. 

The bottom line is Smith is a shit manager. The whole of last season proved that. The League Cup effort this season proved that. We finished behind Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers remember. He also has the personality of a dead fish.  A mad 5 minutes against Airdrie and a home win against a poor Forfar team doesn’t change any of that. 

The club is fucked financially, partly down to Barry’s abject failure to get us out of this league. If he didn’t realise this and walked off in the huff about not getting non-existent money for signings then he’s an idiot. I suspect he’s just got a more secure gig than Raith Rovers lined up.  

2 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Relax. It was a tongue in cheek theory. 

The Board would have sacked him at the end of last season if they could have afforded it. They only didn’t because they couldn’t afford to. 

The bottom line is Smith is a shit manager. The whole of last season proved that. The League Cup effort this season proved that. We finished behind Cowdenbeath and Cove Rangers remember. He also has the personality of a dead fish.  A mad 5 minutes against Airdrie and a home win against a poor Forfar team doesn’t change any of that. 

The club is fucked financially, partly down to Barry’s abject failure to get us out of this league. If he didn’t realise this and walked off in the huff about not getting non-existent money for signings then he’s an idiot. I suspect he’s just got a more secure gig than Raith Rovers lined up.  

Is he still an idiot if the money was there but he wasn't given it?

Just for clarity, there was money which was recently donated to the club.