The New Raith Rovers Thread

40 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I'd agree with parts of the first point. We can be an attractive prospect, but under the current circumstances, the new manager is walking into a fire pit. If another manager comes in by the start of next week and we lose or even drop off a couple of games then there's a real issue with regards to our title chase. The margins were so fine last season, they'll be even finer this time round.

Interestingly, the last 2 or 3 interviews Smith had before games he mentioned Training at Starks and although he didn't criticise it, he did have some issues. Michael Woods was a massive, modern facility that really did offer us something a bit more unique over other clubs at our level.

Regarding the BoD, I think they're lost when it comes to 'football matter' and fine on the business side. Sim even said in one of his interviews this year about how they're all learning as the go along. We were very lucky with Turnbull Hutton and since him passing away, we've had no one on the board with any kind of savvy when it comes to sacking and appointing managers. Even the decision to sack Locke when they did was wrong. It's one thing relying on a full time team winning this league but if we don't have enough resources then it cuts out chances down. The BoD have made a decision to cut costs everywhere and it's clearly had an affect on the squad size and now the manager leaving.

I also know that Smith asked for more money in Jan last season to boost the team and was told if he had wanted the money, he should have done better in the Scottish Cup.

He didn't really criticise it - just commented about the bedding in - surely the benefits of training on it and helping the players get used to the surface are more important. You talk about the facilities at Michael Woods - that's all fine and dandy, but at what cost. We have to cut our cloth accordingly. Players can get the same training where we are, and utilise local gyms if needed.

1 minute ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Colin Cameron? Likely inexpensive. Not saying he's my choice - just a name that's not been flung around yet.

Aye, that'll be the last one we need for former player bingo, right enough.

Utterly shite manager though.

Smiths remit was promotion and he continually told us in interviews it was promotion not necessarily going up as champions he failed on both counts, Season tickets are down approx 300 from last season not because of failed promotion but according to ex season ticket holding Rovers Fans i know it’s  because of Barry  Smith .

Were do Rovers go now ? I have a feeling what money we do have if any has been held back as the board don’t trust Smith and his ability to get us promoted and would wait until Christmas to make a judgement on his future depending where we are sitting in the league.  The next move will be crucial for the BOD in terms of a new manager I just hope they get it right this time

2 hours ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

This.

Has anyone on the board in their previous jobs ever had to interview and then appoint someone to basically grow their business? Instead we have ex public sector workers and accountants who whilst probably good in their own field just don't appear to have the requisite skills required to run a football club.

I think one unsuccessful applicants for the fans rep position had a previous role in HR, perhaps get him on board ?

I do remember Jim Leishman recounting a tale of being interviewed before Sir Jimmy got the gig and was asked ‘What would you do with the pies, if a home game was postponed’ !!!!!

I do hope we have moved on from this.

Whilst I see some sense, the new manager will have to work with the board, share their vision, work to their agenda. And like it or not, these guys are the ones putting the money and time in currently to keep the club afloat - they will want to bring in their own man.
Not saying they can't bring in their own man but are they asking the right questions and looking at the right qualities as they've probably never had to do this previously in their jobs.

Not saying they can't bring in their own man but are they asking the right questions and looking at the right qualities as they've probably never had to do this previously in their jobs.

What are the right questions?

What are the right qualities?

the right questions:

1. Will you cause the fans to hate you with your dreadful football and boring interview style, ensuring a corrosive and enduring air of apathy hangs in the air around Stark’s Park?

2. Will you sign a bunch of injury prone players?

3. How would you avert the various goalkeeper crisis situations we’ve experienced recently?

4. Will you moan about the plastic pitch when results don’t go your way?

5. It’s post match, your team (emphasise again it’s his team) have been dreadful again. You’re being interviewed and you are asked how you thought the game went today. Please can you provide an adequate soundbite for the fans?

6. Will you win us the league?

7. Have you ever won anything as a football manager?

8. Give us 4 words that describe your managerial style?

9. What’s your favourite colour?

10. Can you start on Saturday?

I think they know who the ideal candidate is. Just like we all have an idea of what an ideal candidate would be. But then I'm sure most of us on here know what our ideal woman would be too. We'd all love to have a manager that engages with the fans, plays attractive football, utilises the youth and gets results on the pitch. Unfortunately unless we strike gold, it's unlikely that this wonder manager is going to be out there at this time of the season just waiting for us to give him a call.

From what I've learnt in the last 3 seasons or so and from how I see it, I'm lowering my expectations drastically for whoever we sign as the next manager and for how this season may well pan out.

Although Barry Smith was no world class manager, he was the best that we could have hoped for right now. The fact that he was willing to walk away with nothing from a team he's assembled and a task he was confident he could achieve says it all.

Even if he was to get sacked (which would have taken a monumental f**k up) he would have walked away with his contract paid out. He's ripped that up and left with nothing but his current record and potentially some pride.

I'm also going out on a limb here and point out that Sim was in the directors box on Saturday, the players and staff have a Monday off and by the end of the day on Tuesday the managers resigned. Clearly been a fall out and Smith has taken what he sees as the best option for his career and walked.

Ah well another few weeks of hearsay, innuendo and plain shite being spouted about the reasons for Smiths departure.  Roll on the appointment of a new lamb to the slaughter:blink:see how long it takes until he/she (now that would be a first) gets slagged off for not playing the right players in the right formation and not having a plan B when the team are losing :rolleyes:

I think one unsuccessful applicants for the fans rep position had a previous role in HR, perhaps get him on board ?
I do remember Jim Leishman recounting a tale of being interviewed before Sir Jimmy got the gig and was asked ‘What would you do with the pies, if a home game was postponed’ !!!!!
The applicant is a current HR Director and has 25 years experience in public, private and charity sectors, big companies and small.

52 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I think they know who the ideal candidate is. Just like we all have an idea of what an ideal candidate would be. But then I'm sure most of us on here know what our ideal woman would be too. We'd all love to have a manager that engages with the fans, plays attractive football, utilises the youth and gets results on the pitch. Unfortunately unless we strike gold, it's unlikely that this wonder manager is going to be out there at this time of the season just waiting for us to give him a call.

From what I've learnt in the last 3 seasons or so and from how I see it, I'm lowering my expectations drastically for whoever we sign as the next manager and for how this season may well pan out.

Although Barry Smith was no world class manager, he was the best that we could have hoped for right now. The fact that he was willing to walk away with nothing from a team he's assembled and a task he was confident he could achieve says it all.

Even if he was to get sacked (which would have taken a monumental f**k up) he would have walked away with his contract paid out. He's ripped that up and left with nothing but his current record and potentially some pride.

I'm also going out on a limb here and point out that Sim was in the directors box on Saturday, the players and staff have a Monday off and by the end of the day on Tuesday the managers resigned. Clearly been a fall out and Smith has taken what he sees as the best option for his career and walked.

players train on a Monday, Wednesday is day off

3 hours ago, Beastie Russell said:

I don't think u should take what big Jim says as gospel.