The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 minutes ago, Raithie said:

We won't be phoning him, he'll be phoning us. We're that big a gig you know!!!

Aye?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/bradford-city/bantams-ambition-lured-david-hopkin-back-to-bradford-city-1-9334684

I really don’t think we’re as unattractive as some are making out. We’re joint top of the league, the only full time outfit, have a good 1300 core home support - with the ability to double that when folk fancy it. We actually have the makings of a decent enough squad of players and we’ll hopefully be able to sign a full back and a winger in January. Any manager who is even remotely ambitious and confident in his own abilities should be looking at us and thinking, ‘I can get them up comfortably, and keep them there - at least’.

The thing I’d like to see most is the board bringing in help to pick someone. Between the current board members there is approximately the square root of f**k all that tells me any of them would be able to pick the correct manager. That isn’t a slight on them by the way, they just aren’t qualified to choose who’s best from their previous endeavours and jobs.

13 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Can’t disagree with any of that but surely if you are an ambitious manager who believes in yourself you wouldn’t see the negatives?

Someone who believes in themselves will surely think the only full time team in the league with the biggest crowds in the league and a good quality (if small) squad who are currently sitting top of the league would be a good place to be?

It's a great prospect/chance to get a title, 100%, but there is obviously something behind the scenes going in that managers do not like. I know Yogi was an absolute monstrosity of a manager with us but he was holding a Q & A and said that the club is an utter shambles behind the scenes and now Smith has left with also the board apparently being the cause. Also, why would Easton reject the chance to have a go? At the end of the day, managers talk and other managers will, more than likely, listen to their piers thoughts on being the manager at the club and that could easily put people off.  Agree that it's a great opportunity to turn the club around though.

17 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The thing I’d like to see most is the board bringing in help to pick someone. Between the current board members there is approximately the square root of f**k all that tells me any of them would be able to pick the correct manager. That isn’t a slight on them by the way, they just aren’t qualified to choose who’s best from their previous endeavours and jobs.

Anyone got Superhans' phone number?

People suggesting last season doesn’t prove Barry Smith is a bad manager. I’d suggest his entire managerial career, other than an unbeaten run in the second tier with Dundee, points to him being a pretty bad manager.

I agree. Has he ever won anything as a manager?

Not getting relegated when handed a 25 point deduction is the sum total of his managerial endeavours.

I'm not sure why people are suggesting Easton, surely he is nowhere near ready for the job? 

It’s League 1 in Scotland. The seaside league. What made the likes of that Headbanger at Alloa ready? Goodwin is now being feted as some managerial genius because he finished 4th in League 1 then got Alloa to beat us and Dumbo.

I'm gona go for it.
If I get it, I'm gona f**k you lot right up! You'll be in the 2nd quicker than SteaknGravy chokes his chicken.

Interview:

Q1/ Please can you tell us why you were interested in the job and what makes you qualified for it?

A1/ Have you seen my horse?

...get out before I throw you out.

I really don’t think we’re as unattractive as some are making out. We’re joint top of the league, the only full time outfit, have a good 1300 core home support - with the ability to double that when folk fancy it. We actually have the makings of a decent enough squad of players and we’ll hopefully be able to sign a full back and a winger in January. Any manager who is even remotely ambitious and confident in his own abilities should be looking at us and thinking, ‘I can get them up comfortably, and keep them there - at least’.

This.

Has anyone on the board in their previous jobs ever had to interview and then appoint someone to basically grow their business? Instead we have ex public sector workers and accountants who whilst probably good in their own field just don't appear to have the requisite skills required to run a football club.

Did we not ask for assistance/phone around some people before appointing Locke? Sure I heard that.

The trouble is the types you’re suggesting we ask for advice all enact the old pals act “Locky is a good guy/will do a job for you/is a respected coach” etc.

56 minutes ago, Ding Dang Doo said:

This.

Has anyone on the board in their previous jobs ever had to interview and then appoint someone to basically grow their business? Instead we have ex public sector workers and accountants who whilst probably good in their own field just don't appear to have the requisite skills required to run a football club.

Whilst I see some sense, the new manager will have to work with the board, share their vision, work to their agenda. And like it or not, these guys are the ones putting the money and time in currently to keep the club afloat - they will want to bring in their own man.

I'd agree with parts of the first point. We can be an attractive prospect, but under the current circumstances, the new manager is walking into a fire pit. If another manager comes in by the start of next week and we lose or even drop off a couple of games then there's a real issue with regards to our title chase. The margins were so fine last season, they'll be even finer this time round.

Interestingly, the last 2 or 3 interviews Smith had before games he mentioned Training at Starks and although he didn't criticise it, he did have some issues. Michael Woods was a massive, modern facility that really did offer us something a bit more unique over other clubs at our level.

Regarding the BoD, I think they're lost when it comes to 'football matter' and fine on the business side. Sim even said in one of his interviews this year about how they're all learning as the go along. We were very lucky with Turnbull Hutton and since him passing away, we've had no one on the board with any kind of savvy when it comes to sacking and appointing managers. Even the decision to sack Locke when they did was wrong. It's one thing relying on a full time team winning this league but if we don't have enough resources then it cuts out chances down. The BoD have made a decision to cut costs everywhere and it's clearly had an affect on the squad size and now the manager leaving.

I also know that Smith asked for more money in Jan last season to boost the team and was told if he had wanted the money, he should have done better in the Scottish Cup.

A competent manager wouldn't have needed extra money in January. He had a squad more than capable of winning the league last season. Our lack of options in cm were largely his doing. Signing herron who was well known to be injury prone. Signing hendry then not deeming him good enough for two months. This has all been done to death so it's the last I'll speak about it but smith doesn't have anyone to blame for last season and subsequently this seasons budget other than himself. If he done his job there would most likely have been a bigger budget and we would be able to attract a better calibre of player (although he didn't do terrible with the players he did sign for this season)