The New Raith Rovers Thread

Let’s see, why is suggesting the outside possibility of McKay playing a position he has played before ridiculous? Are you suggesting that a professional player who has played a couple of 90 minute practice games, seen limited competitive game action and has fully participated in training for a few weeks isn’t ready to start a match or is it you don’t consider he can play there?

Dave McKay isn’t a right midfielder. He won’t be playing right midfield. Not on Saturday. Not next Saturday. Not ever.
That’s it. Give it up.

Cam I ask a question vaguely relevant to the club.

Any ideas what if any  ticket arrangements are for the Aberdeen and dunfermline matches will be?

I'm back up for both and haven't seen a game for about 4 years. 

28 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Cam I ask a question vaguely relevant to the club.

Any ideas what if any  ticket arrangements are for the Aberdeen and dunfermline matches will be?

I'm back up for both and haven't seen a game for about 4 years. 

Nothing made public yet. 

They'll probably be waiting to see if they are granted permission for a bigger capacity than the 5000 automatically allowed. 

Keep an eye on the club website over the next few days. 

Here’s ma mental pitch, for the random midfield gig….Poplatnik. He has a good read o the game, and a think he’s going to be more assists then goals for us this season, but an unsung hero. Don’t think think he will win a lot of headers in midfield tho. 

I give you the modern Graham Weir……..is that racist ?

11 hours ago, Raith_Rasta said:

Here’s ma mental pitch, for the random midfield gig….Poplatnik. He has a good read o the game, and a think he’s going to be more assists then goals for us this season, but an unsung hero. Don’t think think he will win a lot of headers in midfield tho. 

While I don't think that this will happen, and certainly not tomorrow, I don't think it's necessarily the most wild shout. McGlynn is obviously at least considering the 3-4-3 and that necessitates either Vaughan or Poplatnik dropping out to allow the additional central defender. Simply put, I think the burgeoning relationship between Vaughan and Poplatnik is the only thing that might stop him going 3-4-3 tomorrow. 

You'd probably need Matthews to really act as the anchor, but I could see a world where Poplatnik drops back and is the more progressive of the two in midfield, and continues to link with Vaughan and the two wingers. It's a very attacking set up, though. Although you've got your three at the back, with that midfield set up they're going to be dealing with multiple runners all game. 

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

While I don't think that this will happen, and certainly not tomorrow, I don't think it's necessarily the most wild shout. McGlynn is obviously at least considering the 3-4-3 and that necessitates either Vaughan or Poplatnik dropping out to allow the additional central defender. Simply put, I think the burgeoning relationship between Vaughan and Poplatnik is the only thing that might stop him going 3-4-3 tomorrow. 

You'd probably need Matthews to really act as the anchor, but I could see a world where Poplatnik drops back and is the more progressive of the two in midfield, and continues to link with Vaughan and the two wingers. It's a very attacking set up, though. Although you've got your three at the back, with that midfield set up they're going to be dealing with multiple runners all game. 

I suppose you could keep both Vaughan and Poplatnik in the side. Move Vaughan into a wider position with license to cut in.

12 hours ago, Raith_Rasta said:

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

1 hour ago, renton said:

I suppose you could keep both Vaughan and Poplatnik in the side. Move Vaughan into a wider position with license to cut in.

Not the craziest idea, but I would see dropping Zanatta or Connolly and playing Vaughan wide left to Poplatnik’s center more likely.

4 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Seems a bit senseless to start messing around with the attackers that scored 4 goals last weekend.

Aye, at the same time though you have to think about trying to protect a midfield 2 of Tait and Riley Snow as well.

3 hours ago, Wildrover said:

For anyone that can't make it up to Inverness tomorrow and aren't getting the stream, the game is being shown in Styx Kirkcaldy.  

How's Styx managing to get away with that?

54 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Seems a bit senseless to start messing around with the attackers that scored 4 goals last weekend.

Except that keeping Poplatnik, Connolly, Zanatta and Vaughan up top, with Tait and Spencer’s replacement plus our standard four in back is all ten field players, leaving a potentially weak middle. Three CB’s to allow Tumilty and Dick to move up to support the middle pairing is likely, and that reduces the attackers by one.

49 minutes ago, renton said:

Aye, at the same time though you have to think about trying to protect a midfield 2 of Tait and Riley Snow as well.

So then we face the decision of who to drop…and despite excellent play by Zanatta last week, I’d say Connolly over Zanatta is the correct choice while keeping Vaughan and Poplatnik out there.

Then perhaps plan to use Zanatta for Connolly (and perhaps Keatings for Vaughan) after 60’ or 70’ to freshen up and pressure ICT toward the end. Alternately, start Keatings (he knows the majority of the team, and their playing styles) and rest Vaughan (heresy, I know, but…) until later, and have them face a fresh Lewis late.

Edited by TxRover

If snow and arnott aren't good enough to slot in to this formation then it was daft to sign and keep them around right now. It's a variation of this formation that we've been using for the majority of the past two seasons. I have a feeling Matthews might start tomorrow anyway so hopefully that will solve the problem.

1 minute ago, Double Jack D said:

At the risk of continuing this further, if Riley-Snow is like big Marv then he isn't going to be a very good replacement for Brad Spencer in the middle of the park. 

Dinnae.

1 hour ago, grumswall said:

If snow and arnott aren't good enough to slot in to this formation then it was daft to sign and keep them around right now. It's a variation of this formation that we've been using for the majority of the past two seasons. I have a feeling Matthews might start tomorrow anyway so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Agree, on the face of it, but placing Arnott AND/OR Riley-Snow flanking Tait in a 4-3-3 would be a bit bold, even if it’s really more of a 4-2-1-2-1 with Vaughan effectively an AM. That ploy seems to bite us versus the Accies, hence the talk of three CB’s with Spencer out (and Matthews presumed out, for that matter).

JMcG seems to see Spencer and Matthews as the experienced, older heads in the middle, keeping the ship steady while Tait provides the fire. That’s why I suspect he will lean toward the three across with Tumilty and Dick providing width and support to the middle.

Matthews is likely starting by hook or by crook, if he can stand the pain, the experiment will be how long (and well) he can play and who will replace him/what formation changes might occur. Could we start with only two CB’s if Matthews is playing and sub a CB on when/if we pull Matthews?