The New Raith Rovers Thread

15 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Speaking of Dabrowski I don’t know much about him but from the few Hibs supporters I know they rated him highly and said he could’ve been there No1 so if it is him then we need to see how he is can’t really judge him based on a loan spell at queen of the south

no offence but it was queen of the south and they didn’t exactly do well in L1 last season finishing what 6th? Maybe with hopefully a good CH partnership in front of him he could be greatΒ 

He was only here from January (we were 7th or 8th when he arrived). We finished 5th, albeit only climbed to that spot in the last week.

13 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Not after the goals he shipped in our 5 nil horsing of QOTS in April. Pathetic display of goalkeeping.

His worst game, no doubts, although even in that one he made at least one borderline miracle stop.

12 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Ach, that was for Queen of the South. Who can honestly expect their goalkeeper to achieve anything? He'll be grand once he's behind our solid defensive pairing of a teenager from Celtic, and some other c**t.Β 

πŸ˜†

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Well that’s a relief. After sending out about 20 DM’s yesterday I’d have looked a right p***k if it had ended up being someone else!

I’m conflicted on the news. The Dumbarton and QOS fans rate him very highly. A lot of Hibs fans liked him too and wish he’d been given more of a chance. However, he had a bad game that one time against Dunfermline so I’m not sure how he can actually be any good?

Our fans rate him very highly, Dumbarton's certainly did. He's popular at Hibs. At lot of that is his character though. On and off the pitch he's a fantastic guy. Lots of banter with fans, plenty of time to talk to them after and pose for photos etc. He regularly wandered into the car park at our home games immediately after matches in his gk kit and spoke to friends / fans alike before he came back to get changed.

He's undeniably a very good keeper, and in that Dunfermline game made a wonder save which even then wasn't as good as the double save he made in the last seconds at Alloa the week before to preserve our win. We were a much improved side after Bartley came in and brought in Dabrowski and Jack Brydon in front of him at centre half. He was a very big part of that and I'd have been delighted to have him back. Our fans do tend to ignore his weaknesses though. For a 6'5" keeper he doesn't dominate his box quite as much as he probably should. He's more likely to rely on his agility to make a save from the line than come and collect the cross. He was occasionally (and it was occasionally) guilty of misjudging his position too. Notably in that Dunfermline game @Rob1885 is referring to he tried to shovel a relatively tame shot from the edge of the box past his post and shoved it into his own net. He also got a full hand on another shot later in the same game and the ball dribbled over the line for a goal anyway. His kicking is also not brilliant and he takes chances with the ball at his feet. Got away with them in in his 4 months with us but was fortunate on 2 or 3 occasions.

Thought he was intending to try his luck down South last I knew but he is pretty settled in Edinburgh so it would also probably suit him to play for Raith too. Nit picking aside, I doubt you'll go far wrong with Dabrowski as a first choice in the Championship. He's certainly good enough to play higher.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

30 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Could it be that QoS were poor throughout the season. A team I personally thought would’ve fought hard to get back to the Championship. MacDonald shipped 4 against a pish Hamilton team and let 5 in against moneybags QP what metric will you make of that. Β 

QOS got better once Bartley came in, and prior to our title winning game they were in with a shout of the playoffs, it wasn't a good season for them but they had periods of being a good side.Β 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

QOS got better once Bartley came in, and prior to our title winning game they were in with a shout of the playoffs, it wasn't a good season for them but they had periods of being a good side.Β 

Bartley has definitely improved the club, it just wasn’t enough in the end. They will be there or thereabouts next season. Hopefully our shared hatred of Failkirk will be the only time we agreeπŸ˜†πŸ˜† I was gonna put a tenner on QoS winning League 1 next season and donate the winnings to charity. Better not let me down 😑😊

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

For a 6'5" keeper he doesn't dominate his box quite as much as he probably should. He's more likely to rely on his agility to make a save from the line than come and collect the cross. He was occasionally (and it was occasionally) guilty of misjudging his position too.

Do you think with a good goalkeeping coach he could fix/get better at that what you mentioned? because our GK coach is Robbie Thomson and he’s highly thought of as a coach

On 19/05/2023 at 14:12, Jan VojÑček said:

He's absolutely fantastic and would be a great fit for you guys. I'm actually really surprised (and disappointed) to see him not given more of a chance at Easter Road.

I put this on the QOS thread after they signed him and, by all accounts, I think he did pretty well at Palmerston and became a bit of a fans' favourite:

"There will not be a better goalkeeper in League One than Kevin Dabrowski. In fact, I'm absolutely staggered he's not at the very least a No.1 for a Championship side. I thought he would go back to Hibs after his spell with us and be their number one by now. Especially after his derby heroics last year.

You know how some players just have a bit of an aura and a presence about them? A bit of magic almost just in the way they conduct themselves? Like a swagger that makes you believe in them before you've really seen them in action. That's Kevin.

He came into us during the Covid season and was nothing short of sensational. He commands his area superbly, he pulls of genuinely jaw dropping saves, his handling is fairly solid and although he's prone to parrying shots - he does it with so much power that he pushes them away from goal and out for throw-ins.

He's a huge character. A bit of a maverick. He'll pull off saves that'll blow your mind, then make a really tame shot look like it was the toughest in the world by throwing himself on it in a mega dramatic way. He's exceptionally loud on the park as well and will happily be a bit of shithouse, winding other players up (hiya Brian Graham, hiya pal).

I absolutely loved watching him play for us. And loved it even more when I met him a couple of times. He's the most gentle, well mannered, polite and lovely big guy you could ever meet. And he just has a huge passion for football and goalkeeping which rubs off on you instantly. You'll probably all have seen his interview after the Edinburgh derby last year, and that is exactly what he's like. A really genuine, and incredibly talented, guy.

After he left us, I spoke to Sons goalkeeper coach at the time about him - and he likened him to Fraser Forster. You can read that - here. He's reminded me of Nick Pope since I first watched him in action for us though. But either way, those are good comparisons to have."

Just pulling this excellent post back up to the top for anyone who missed it first time around when Dabrowski was suggested.Β 

I'd like us to sign more former Dumbarton players just to get more Jan VojÑček scouting reports. 

53 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Whilst the Dunfermline game certainly was horrible for us it was the Montrose game the week after where we decided to be very sporting and play them with 9 men that killed us. If we'd won that game (and we were battering them before the sending offs) we'd have taken the late surge to the last week and put Alloa under some pressure. The run came a couple of weeks too late though. Our late season run of 7 wins and a draw in our last 10 was promotion form but far, far too late. Other than losing to Montrose 3-2 playing with 9 men, the only other defeat was that one at Dunfermline which was a bit of a battering right enough.

We were always on a hiding to nothing going to you that day with the title on the line when you'd narrowly missed two chances to win it already. Once the first goal went in (& Dabrowski was definitely at fault for it) then we were never getting back in it and the question was how many.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

28 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Do you think with a good goalkeeping coach he could fix/get better at that what you mentioned? because our GK coach is Robbie Thomson and he’s highly thought of as a coach

I wouldn't flatter myself to comment on whether a goalkeeper can be improved with coaching. I assume Hibs have a good goalkeeping coach. We have Gordon Marshall who was at Aberdeen for about 5 years before us. I'm not convinced that one GK coach will be significantly better than another.

I can say with relative confidence having watched both play for us that Dabrowski's a much better keeper than Robbie Thomson though! I'd rate the younger Jamie MacDonald higher (probably not now obviously although I've not seen Jamie play in the last year).

Would like to join this conversation. Β But when I try to register I am asked the surname of the Scottish football manager. Β When I type in Clarke it tells me I am wrong and will not accept my registration. Β Have I been asleep for some years and we have changed the Manager in that time, or do yous know something I don't?

To be honest, he doesn't need to be great as such.Β  The really pressing areas are centre half and up front, in my opinion he just needs to be good rather than great.

If he's a shithouse however, I'm all for it.

51 minutes ago, baillieinleeds said:

Bartley has definitely improved the club, it just wasn’t enough in the end. They will be there or thereabouts next season. Hopefully our shared hatred of Failkirk will be the only time we agreeπŸ˜†πŸ˜† I was gonna put a tenner on QoS winning League 1 next season and donate the winnings to charity. Better not let me down 😑😊

I hope they do well, they've got a really good cohort of posters on here, and it'd be absolutely hilarious for Falkirk to miss out, again.Β 

7 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Good to see our Fife cousins haven't lost their delusions of grandeur, the big team aye right, all over our thread cause there's nothing going on in theirs

Welcome back

Big team my arse.Β 

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

I hope they do well, they've got a really good cohort of posters on here, and it'd be absolutely hilarious for Falkirk to miss out, again.Β 

Their collective tears will be deliciousπŸ˜†πŸ˜†

41 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Good to see our Fife cousins haven't lost their delusions of grandeur, the big team aye right, all over our thread cause there's nothing going on in theirs

Welcome back

Multi-club forum chap. Happy to help.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wouldn't flatter myself to comment on whether a goalkeeper can be improved with coaching. I assume Hibs have a good goalkeeping coach. We have Gordon Marshall who was at Aberdeen for about 5 years before us. I'm not convinced that one GK coach will be significantly better than another.

I can say with relative confidence having watched both play for us that Dabrowski's a much better keeper than Robbie Thomson though! I'd rate the younger Jamie MacDonald higher (probably not now obviously although I've not seen Jamie play in the last year).

I'm a big fan of Dabrowski. He's a big physical presence at 6ft 6 and is agile to go with it. He's got all the attributes to have a fantastic career. Very surprised he wasn't given a chance at Hibs and was let go.Β 

Would be another brilliant signing for Rovers

Β