The New Raith Rovers Thread

A bit surprised to see Lang and Spencer drop a level. Probably an indication that we are not chucking silly money about and makes accusations of us being the Fife Gretna by some Bairns look a bit silly.

I don't know, but I would imagine that both (Spencer had an option in contract) would have been offered 1 year extension on similar terms so the fact they have both signed 2 year deals at Falkirk indicates one reason they have left. I'm not convinced either would have gone had we offered similar terms to Falkirk over the same length. 

I don't think we will miss Spencer, we have ample cover in midfield and the return of Ross Matthews more than fills the gap. I don't think Spencer fitted the way Murray wants to play. That's not saying he's not a good player though but  I think his wages will be better used elsewhere.

Lang however may be a bit of a loss. It really depends who we bring in at centre half. Just now there looks like a gaping hole but Murray indicated that we are in discussions with 2 experienced CH. If we get two experienced championship level centre halves then Lang will have been replaced. I've said before here that he was part of a defence that shipped some downright awful goals last season so is definitely an area that needed change if we are to progress.

I'm not sure how both will do at Falkirk. Their best periods in Rovers jerseys were when they had outstanding players alongside them (RH8 and Berra). I'm not sure either are as effective when they are meant to be the main man. They should be easily capable of dealing with League 1 though. 

1 minute ago, R.R.FC said:

Speaking of Joma, think the design of the new Hibs kit with blue instead of green would make a nice Rovers kit.

I’d like us to decide on a style and stick with it. Just minor details to say it’s new. A return to the white sleeves and navy shirt. Maybe not for everyone. Just to have an identity that says that’s a Rovers strip, if you know what I mean. 

21 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

A bit surprised to see Lang and Spencer drop a level. Probably an indication that we are not chucking silly money about and makes accusations of us being the Fife Gretna by some Bairns look a bit silly.

I don't know, but I would imagine that both (Spencer had an option in contract) would have been offered 1 year extension on similar terms so the fact they have both signed 2 year deals at Falkirk indicates one reason they have left. I'm not convinced either would have gone had we offered similar terms to Falkirk over the same length. 

I don't think we will miss Spencer, we have ample cover in midfield and the return of Ross Matthews more than fills the gap. I don't think Spencer fitted the way Murray wants to play. That's not saying he's not a good player though but  I think his wages will be better used elsewhere.

Lang however may be a bit of a loss. It really depends who we bring in at centre half. Just now there looks like a gaping hole but Murray indicated that we are in discussions with 2 experienced CH. If we get two experienced championship level centre halves then Lang will have been replaced. I've said before here that he was part of a defence that shipped some downright awful goals last season so is definitely an area that needed change if we are to progress.

I'm not sure how both will do at Falkirk. Their best periods in Rovers jerseys were when they had outstanding players alongside them (RH8 and Berra). I'm not sure either are as effective when they are meant to be the main man. They should be easily capable of dealing with League 1 though. 

Lang and Spencer will do well for Falkirk. No offence to the rest of League 1. Only Hamilton, QoS and possibly Alloa can really challenge them. If they don’t outright win the title then it’ll be complete and utter failure again. McGlynn should consider retirement. 

25 minutes ago, Double Jack D said:

Lang will probably do similar to how Bene did for the Pars in league 1 and be a stand out.  His biggest problem was too often instead of doing the simple thing he'd try and do something fancy and get himself in trouble.  Something that I doubt would have happened if he'd had an experienced guy alongside him, instead of him being the experienced one.  

He'll still do that in League 1 but he'll get away with it a lot more and the rest of his game is pretty solid.  Plus he already knows how McGlynn wants to play so he's going to fit into the style of play with zero issues.

Both are very good players at that level and will do well, but its a bizarre career move to step down. Both could have picked up other championship clubs i'd have thought and neither will cost a fortune.

Lang is not a defensive leader, he needs someone telling him to get rid of the ball, whether thats an experienced centre half partner or generally anyone in the vicinity would do. 

Spencer is a McGlynn player, a proper deep sitting play maker in midfield, he needs movement around him to create space and opportunities. We're not playing that style any more here. 

2 hours ago, SanStarko said:

Lang will probably do similar to how Bene did for the Pars in league 1 and be a stand out.  His biggest problem was too often instead of doing the simple thing he'd try and do something fancy and get himself in trouble.  Something that I doubt would have happened if he'd had an experienced guy alongside him, instead of him being the experienced one.  

He'll still do that in League 1 but he'll get away with it a lot more and the rest of his game is pretty solid.  Plus he already knows how McGlynn wants to play so he's going to fit into the style of play with zero issues.

Spoke with a guy at work big Pars fan I asked how benny was?  too slow and easy to get behind feels he might be found out in the championship , Lang I think will stick out for Falkirk but I’m sure we will get better defensive players in

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hi guys,   look after our Callum will you, good lad and very good player..

Joma,  talk to me,  we have announced them as our new kit suppliers,  how is the quality and do they have much in the training , leisure wear front..

Oh and do you really have to size up, apparently continental fit or some pish..

Always need to size up with Joma. I’m normally an L. I got an XL for a training top and it’s okay. The XL for the training t-shirt is more like an M.

40 minutes ago, basher brash said:

Spoke with a guy at work big Pars fan I asked how benny was?  too slow and easy to get behind feels he might be found out in the championship , Lang I think will stick out for Falkirk but I’m sure we will get better defensive players in

If Bene was so easy to get behind I doubt he'd had won so many awards, and we'd have conceded so few goals tbh. 

5 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If Bene was so easy to get behind I doubt he'd had won so many awards, and we'd have conceded so few goals tbh. 

Not really. You didn’t score a massive amount either so did your back line have to sit back a bit further to compensate?

3 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Not really. You didn’t score a massive amount either so did your back line have to sit back a bit further to compensate?

If they did then once again, how did players get behind Bene so easily? And once they did, why didn't we concede more goals? 

2 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

It'll be interesting to see how Bene does back in the Championship. I think you're on a hiding to nothing if you're going to argue that Dunfermline weren't doing everything right defensively last season.

I really wasn't a fan of what I seen from him in our last season in the Championship, a game at EEP in particular where he looked stinky, and seemed to berate his young cb partner for most of the game. 

He was good though last season, we'll undoubtedly be leaning on his leadership qualities, so we could do with him not being gubbins. 

Just the same situation this season with Tom Lang that we had with Bene season before. Probably offered terms, potentially reduced wages or years. Both didn’t couldn’t agree and find themselves away from us. Quite simple. 

Would I have kept Bene? Probably. But I think only in hindsight. Was fine with him leaving at the time. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I really wasn't a fan of what I seen from him in our last season in the Championship, a game at EEP in particular where he looked stinky, and seemed to berate his young cb partner for most of the game. 

He was good though last season, we'll undoubtedly be leaning on his leadership qualities, so we could do with him not being gubbins. 

Last season if I’m correct in saying yous played a back 3/5 with WB most of the season didn’t you? I think in the championship a back 3 would suit Bene and when we played it a few times he looked a lot better and a lot less exposed compared to a 4 but there’s no denying though he did have a good season in league 1 last year 

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Just the same situation this season with Tom Lang that we had with Bene season before. Probably offered terms, potentially reduced wages or years. Both didn’t couldn’t agree and find themselves away from us. Quite simple. 

Would I have kept Bene? Probably. But I think only in hindsight. Was fine with him leaving at the time. 

Apparently Lang wasn’t offered anything same with Brad (supposedly) but he did have a 1 year extension so I could see why he would go to Falkirk on a 2 year deal 

Rated Bene over Nolan but don't think he was a loss until Berra retired and there was no 'leader' at the back. In saying that, I don't think either are up to standard for a team with ambitions of eventually being promoted and think the club can do better.