The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Well aware that he's absolutely no pace but going down each level you'll get away with that a bit more. Only a one year deal so there's no much risk. Happy with that and plenty of experience to go with Corr and Masson. 

Agreed bud need an old heid in there to marshall the troops and lift us if things aren’t going our way 

Happy enough with that. Especially if the club can bring in a more athletic centre back to partner him. As previously mentioned, you get away a bit more with your intelligence and positioning to make up for your legs going as a centre back as you go down the levels as we've seen with Berra and S. Anderson. I'm sure that he'll be an asset for Corr and Masson to learn from as well with his experience. 

21 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Going by the interview, sounďs like Potts has been out the traps quickly to try and get the people he wants and looking at the evidence he's obviously the man to get things done. On the other side of things it sounds like Watson was keen to sign right from the start.

37 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

Keith Watson it is.

I can't believe the boy that does these illustrations is even taking the weather into account. 

Pleased with Watson. The obvious qualifier is that injuries could clearly mean he isn't a success, but as long as he's fit he should be a very good player in the Championship. He's not got any pace, but it's not like we're going to go out with a high line and ask our centre halfs to chase any balls that come over the top. It looks increasingly likely that we're essentially going to line up with two blocks of five. A fairly immobile, deep back four with Scott Brown patrolling ahead of them, and an incredibly fluid, dynamic front five that have all the energy and endeavour you could ask for. 

Good solid signing. Put him alongside a younger, quicker partner and I’m pretty sure we’ll be much more robust than last season at the back. Anyone got any inside track on stadium developments?  looking forward to seeing what they’ve done inside. 

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

Good solid signing. Put him alongside a younger, quicker partner and I’m pretty sure we’ll be much more robust than last season at the back. Anyone got any inside track on stadium developments?  looking forward to seeing what they’ve done inside. 

Exactly, him and Masson/Corr is an excellent start at CB. Love the attitude in the interview, you can see that, much like Berra and SAndo, the talking gets done on the field. Difficult to imagine a better choice for a leadership role at the back, which took a more focused need when we went with a young keeper.

Hoping he's in the Berra/S Andreson mould both of which strolled it but with zero pace. An experienced player which is key at the back imo. Can't see him being partnered with Masson/Corr and expecting another first pick CB to be signed but I'm sure they'll learn from him along the way,

Just now, Raithie said:

Hoping he's in the Berra/S Andreson mould both of which strolled it but with zero pace. An experienced player which is key at the back imo. Can't see him being partnered with Masson/Corr and expecting another first pick CB to be signed but I'm sure they'll learn from him along the way,

I’m sure Watson wasn’t inexpensive nor without other options, so it’s good to get him. Our next CB signing will be instructive. If it’s young and quick, it’ll likely have to be someone from the Championship last year, one coming up a level or an English punt. If it’s another experienced head, I’d expect someone whose playing time has been curtailed with injuries, coming in to add more experience and depth.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

I’m sure Watson wasn’t inexpensive nor without other options, so it’s good to get him. Our next CB signing will be instructive. If it’s young and quick, it’ll likely have to be someone from the Championship last year, one coming up a level or an English punt. If it’s another experienced head, I’d expect someone whose playing time has been curtailed with injuries, coming in to add more experience and depth.

David Norman Jr may fit the bill for someone young, athletic and quick. Granted didn't feature much for Northampton but seemed to feature a bit in the Candadian Prem League (I have no idea what the quality at that level is). Interestingly I see he has previously been on loan at Queen of the South,

Just now, Raithie said:

David Norman Jr may fit the bill for someone young, athletic and quick. Granted didn't feature much for Northampton but seemed to feature a bit in the Candadian Prem League (I have no idea what the quality at that level is). Interestingly I see he has previously been on loan at Queen of the South,

William Akio played there, so that level?

Happy with that, if he even vaguely knows how to defend a set piece he will improve us.

Berra absolutely strolled this level with zero pace, so no issues there for me.

Edited by CALDERON

The more I think about it, a League One CB, maybe 23-27, would seem the a possible next signing. Chosen as probably capable at moderate Championship level, not too expensive, probably on a one year deal and sold as a chance to break into Full Time football. Could team with Corr or Masson if/when Watson doesn’t start, but won’t block them from getting some playing time too. Optionally, it would be a National League player signed for the same role.