The New Raith Rovers Thread

Think Murray will play one up and 3 off the front away from home with likely Brown/Byrne/Matthews combo holding in front of back 4.

At home he might go more expansive and play the 4-1-3-2 formation. Great to have some competition for places/treatment table depending on your glass full perspective on injuries.

Think Millen has been a huge loss not just as a right back but communicator across the backline, he'll be huge to get back.

Wonder of this signing spells bad news with Matthews? 

Either way we now have the ability in midfield at least and when they are all fit to swap out an entire system or keep the same system but swap out ineffectual personnel. It was what Ian Murray talked about in the Dundee game back in January, we were on top for 60 minutes but they had run capacity to make effective changes and it turned the game. 

3 minutes ago, pub car king said:

Either way we now have the ability in midfield at least and when they are all fit to swap out an entire system or keep the same system but swap out ineffectual personnel. It was what Ian Murray talked about in the Dundee game back in January, we were on top for 60 minutes but they had run capacity to make effective changes and it turned the game. 

I thought Matthews was coming back in. If he isn’t ready I’d hand the captaincy back to Brown. I really hope to hell Matthews isn’t out for the season again😢

Edited by Stardog_champion

13 minutes ago, OhnononoGeordieMunro said:

Think Millen has been a huge loss not just as a right back but communicator across the backline, he'll be huge to get back.

Absolutely. And this was a guy who was close to becoming the scapegoat last season. One of those players who some folk don't appreciate until he's not in the squad. I also think his first touch, particularly a ball coming at him with a bit of height, is absolutely sublime. 

16 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I think if Matthews is fit before the loan window closes in September that there's a good chance he'll be put out on loan until January to get some minutes under his belt. 

36 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Absolutely. And this was a guy who was close to becoming the scapegoat last season. One of those players who some folk don't appreciate until he's not in the squad. I also think his first touch, particularly a ball coming at him with a bit of height, is absolutely sublime. 

In fairness he looked like he hadn't even played pub league the first couple of games. He's still fairly slow and questionable defensively at times but he does have a very good first touch and a fantastic cross on him. For his size as well, he looks smaller than Vaughan when it comes to high balls. We've definitely missed him so far though and I hope he's good to go from the start on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

You're living in a fantasy world, anyhow, all the best with Byrne.

Thank you.

On the face of things another really good solid signing. If Shaun is principally a holding midfielder type then worryingly there's maybe more to Ross Matthews longer term fitness issues. If Shaun Byrne is another general CDM who's more disposed to attacking then given how many we have in that area I'm a wee bit less happy. Either way it's an Ian Murray signs another midfielder story and as said we now have a phenomenally strong bench to go to.....at least in some areas.

Our lack of a holding midfielder cover has the opportunity to hurt us but tbh it's the lack of cover for fullbacks that has me more concerned. 

I suspect that’s our teams pretty finalized except a possible FB and/or CB. I don’t think we’ll see any more attacking players added now. If there’s a CB that can play LB, he’d be a no brainer.

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Quite a change in things with us beating St Johnstone to Murray and Dunfermline to Byrne this season. I’m all for it.

It doesn't add up that our best covered area of the park is what we were targeting. Not saying we weren't in for him but it all has a bit made up twitter feel to it that we were.

He did nothing at Dundee and got released by us. This mystical good spell he had at Livi was a while back. Not sure why you lot are getting a hard on about this. Would take him as an option if we had cash to throw around but this really isn't a big deal.

24 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

It doesn't add up that our best covered area of the park is what we were targeting. Not saying we weren't in for him but it all has a bit made up twitter feel to it that we were.

He did nothing at Dundee and got released by us. This mystical good spell he had at Livi was a while back. Not sure why you lot are getting a hard on about this. Would take him as an option if we had cash to throw around but this really isn't a big deal.

Reading several Dundee fans post they were sad to see him go so he must have done something right up there.

10 hours ago, Chubbychops said:

What does it matter and why would a Dunfermline fan give a care in the world to who we sign?

Very chuffed with Byrne signing.

Would expect one - possibly two - further loan signings before the end of the month, but even without them it’s quite the squad that’s been assembled.

Would hate to think fans get on Murray’s back if it doesn’t translate to a run of wins early in the season but, equally, the board have done their part so Murray will be aware of a sense of pressure himself, surely.

Also pleased with that signing. Crucial depth and good pedigree at this level.

It’s a real shame but Mathews just doesn’t look like someone that can be relied upon to be fit. I see his contract is up at the end of the year and I would think that will be it for him at the Rovers unless he is fit and playing for a consistent period. We all get frustrated by the injuries we have - but it becomes self-inflicted if you extend players who have long injury records. A real shame as I like Rossco and want him to do well. But I don’t think we can gamble on his fitness again unless he goes 6 months fit as a fiddle. 

Think that leaves a ‘proper striker’ loan (one of those hit or miss gambles) and a loan at full back to go. But I’d imagine these will be a few weeks away once Scottish Premiership and english lower league squads are more finalised. 

Edited by HIT THE CHANNEL