The New Raith Rovers Thread

This might have been posted already and I’ve missed it but I was looking at the league table if games finished after 45 minutes or 75 minutes and Raith are bizarre in it. Top of the league after 45 minutes, which fits with Murray liking his teams to make fast starts, but then 8th with just 14 points after 75 minutes. 

The late goals happen too often to be coincidence. Having so many great attacking options helps but you need a brilliant mentality to continually pull out big results so late on. What happens during the second half though that sees Raith drop off so much?

From today’s Daily Record 

SPFL Premiership could BAN plastic pitches next season as Neil Doncaster talks could lead to 'grass only' vote
Kilmarnock are set to return to grass ahead of the 2024/25 season but Livingston boss says ditching plastic is too expensive.

Plastic pitches could be banned in the Premiership before next season starts.

Record Sport understands SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster has headed talks around outlawing all synthetic surfaces from the top flight, with further discussions scheduled with clubs in the New Year. And that could lead to a vote to go ‘grass only’ before the end of the campaign, with clubs granted a period of grace to get necessary renovation work done.

Kilmarnock chairman Billy Bowie has already announced plans to rip up the astro turf at Rugby Park in 2026 – and it’s expected all clubs currently using 3G surfaces will be given a similar timescale to switch. Livingston are the only other top 12 side to play on an all-weather pitch but had to postpone a home clash with Ross County on Saturday when sections of it were frozen solid

Boss David Martindale insists the club would be willing to follow Killie’s lead – as long as the SPFL are prepared to bankroll them with a hefty cheque. He said: “I’d rather have a grass park and if the authorities want to give us a couple of million then we’ll have one with undersoil heating and a separate training ground.

“Realistically, it’d cost us between £2m-£3m.We’re paying for VAR and energy costs have increased. Overall, we’re handing out £300,000-400,000 extra and our incoming revenue doesn’t match that. It’ll be five or 10 years before we can be where Kilmarnock are now.

“We’re the only team in the Premiership that doesn’t own their stadium – the only licence we own is the one from the SFA – and since returning to the Premiership in 2018 we’ve spent £600,000 upgrading the ground.”

Livi also splashed out to in a bid to have Saturday’s game played, using covers the SPFL compelled them to buy and spreading 200 kilos of salt.

2 hours ago, kdyteejay said:

Livi also splashed out to in a bid to have Saturday’s game played, using covers the SPFL compelled them to buy and spreading 200 kilos of salt.

Actually a case of the SPFL demanding something that’s bad for the surface too. Covers on a synthetic surface is against recommendation, and can cause extra problems and damage due to moisture getting under the covers and refreezing.

6 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I don’t suppose anyone has a link to Ally Brown’s sensational own goal he scored on Partick Thistle’s behalf a while back? 

I’m sure it was mentioned on here or potentially elsewhere online a while back, but can’t seem to find it 

I've got it saved on my phone. I'll DM you on twitter.

1 hour ago, Ex Machina said:

I remember going to games with my mate at the time. He's a year or two older than me so must've been about 18 or 19 at the time, and he went some of first matches during that season and couldn't get over how bad stuff like this was. You'd genuinely think it's sketch show comedy.

Must be some lark for kids nowadays to go along and have a team filled with good players for this level who are enjoyable to watch, at the right end of the league. 

10 minutes ago, keyser_soze said:

Loving the inside matchday feature.

Again, shoutout to Ben McAdam who puts out that content. Consistently there for every single game find some really great stuff in the stands too. 5pm on a Monday is becoming as much of a thing as 12am Sunday. 

11 hours ago, kdyteejay said:

From today’s Daily Record 

SPFL Premiership could BAN plastic pitches next season as Neil Doncaster talks could lead to 'grass only' vote
Kilmarnock are set to return to grass ahead of the 2024/25 season but Livingston boss says ditching plastic is too expensive.

Plastic pitches could be banned in the Premiership before next season starts.

Record Sport understands SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster has headed talks around outlawing all synthetic surfaces from the top flight, with further discussions scheduled with clubs in the New Year. And that could lead to a vote to go ‘grass only’ before the end of the campaign, with clubs granted a period of grace to get necessary renovation work done.

Kilmarnock chairman Billy Bowie has already announced plans to rip up the astro turf at Rugby Park in 2026 – and it’s expected all clubs currently using 3G surfaces will be given a similar timescale to switch. Livingston are the only other top 12 side to play on an all-weather pitch but had to postpone a home clash with Ross County on Saturday when sections of it were frozen solid

Boss David Martindale insists the club would be willing to follow Killie’s lead – as long as the SPFL are prepared to bankroll them with a hefty cheque. He said: “I’d rather have a grass park and if the authorities want to give us a couple of million then we’ll have one with undersoil heating and a separate training ground.

“Realistically, it’d cost us between £2m-£3m.We’re paying for VAR and energy costs have increased. Overall, we’re handing out £300,000-400,000 extra and our incoming revenue doesn’t match that. It’ll be five or 10 years before we can be where Kilmarnock are now.

“We’re the only team in the Premiership that doesn’t own their stadium – the only licence we own is the one from the SFA – and since returning to the Premiership in 2018 we’ve spent £600,000 upgrading the ground.”

I wasn’t a fan of us having an artificial pitch, but I wouldn’t want us to go back to grass now. The difference in the quality of the football (more so in the winter months) since we got the artificial pitch is noticeable. 

The weather in Scotland in winter is fucking awful. Artificial pitches are the way to go for winter football.

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

I wasn’t a fan of us having an artificial pitch, but I wouldn’t want us to go back to grass now. The difference in the quality of the football (more so in the winter months) since we got the artificial pitch is noticeable. 

The weather in Scotland in winter is fucking awful. Artificial pitches are the way to go for winter football.

Vote no 😂

1 hour ago, tazz1903 said:

😆 vote NO, Raith are big fans of votes 😂 

Putting New Bayview back to grass for the Premiership is something you lot won't need to worry about. More likely your ground (and alas your famous club) could yet be getting put out to grass in the Lowland league.🥺

13 hours ago, Mr November said:

This might have been posted already and I’ve missed it but I was looking at the league table if games finished after 45 minutes or 75 minutes and Raith are bizarre in it. Top of the league after 45 minutes, which fits with Murray liking his teams to make fast starts, but then 8th with just 14 points after 75 minutes. 

The late goals happen too often to be coincidence. Having so many great attacking options helps but you need a brilliant mentality to continually pull out big results so late on. What happens during the second half though that sees Raith drop off so much?

Interesting stats, thanks for sharing. 

The late goals are needed because we start the second half so poorly most weeks!

If you look at the table for ‘HT to 75’’ then you’ll see we’re rock bottom with zero goals scored and 11 conceded.
It’s a much-discussed phenomenon amongst Raith fans, no one has any idea why it happens but it’s been a feature since before Murray arrived.