The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 hours ago, RRFC_Liam said:

See in my 11 I would Start Mullin on the left and Connolly right…. Also this maybe a wild shout but with Ross Millen being suspended and I don’t have faith in Mullin or McGill at RB what about Ross Matthews? played their before a few times and I’d feel a lot more comfortable with him there than the previous 2 mentioned as I think Murray will move back to the 4132 with Turner in the Stanton role 

No. Play a defender there, Masson. He’s played RB successfully for us before, it’s not ideal, but …If you insist on a midfielder at RB the answer is not Matthews, it’s Mullin or Brown.

4 hours ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Well that puts an end to the world's most stupid transfer speculation that Dundee might recall him to use as leverage on offering a contract to Dylan Easton, even though Easton can be offered a pre contract currently. 

This is the kind of post that makes me happy! Been a great addition!

52 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

The issue I have with the talk of the Premier League being boring or not enjoyable because we’ll lose more games than we win is that it suggests that’s guaranteed not to be the case in the Championship.

Since the turn of the millennium we have had as many relegations (3) from the Championship as we have top 4 finishes. We’ve only finished in the top half of this league 4 times in our last 23 seasons.

There is obviously hope things are looking up under the new owners and it’s not one season or bust so it’s definitely not a disaster if we don’t go up this season but that has to be the aim eventually.

There are more than enough examples of similar size clubs going up to the Premier League and having success and also plenty examples that we can have disastrous seasons at Championship or even League One level so even if we failed it would be going some to beat our worst seasons in the last 20/25 years!

Very good counter to my January-blues pessimism post last night.

As is so often the case, facts have dispelled the gut feelings. That's my puss shut.

I'd still rather the old Firm were not in the Premiership though.

25 minutes ago, TxRover said:

No. Play a defender there, Masson. He’s played RB successfully for us before, it’s not ideal, but …If you insist on a midfielder at RB the answer is not Matthews, it’s Mullin or Brown.

You lose too much by playing a centre half at full back.

I’d rather have any of the aforementioned midfielders there ahead of Masson.

Not a reflection of Masson’s ability as a footballer, I just don’t like centre halves playing full back.

6 minutes ago, David McGurns Left Glove said:

rumours of Ashcroft heading to Patrick.

I've heard a few things about Ashcroft. One being it's a done deal to two the deals fallen through to three he's not leaving Dundee at all as Docherty wants to keep him as cover. Who knows. Sure we'll find out soon. Personally I think Watson will be back soon and with him, Murray, Corr, Masson and options of Brown or Dick maybe Murray is going with the 'if you score 2 we'll score 3' mindset. Apparently Watson has been training with the squad for the last two weeks so can't be that far away from returning. 

50 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

You lose too much by playing a centre half at full back.

I’d rather have any of the aforementioned midfielders there ahead of Masson.

Not a reflection of Masson’s ability as a footballer, I just don’t like centre halves playing full back.

Consider the 22/23 season. Masson played RB versus Linlithgow, Rangers, Queen’s Park and Partick Thistle, and versus Dundee at RM. He was not considered a weakness in those matches. Queen’s Park was the 1-0 Quarter Final win, so he’s got a prior against them, just saying.

Heres the thing, what is a FB versus a CB. There’s the perception that the CB is the big bruiser and the FB is the nimble sprinter, but it’s not that clear. In studies, the primary difference between the two is the amount of high intensity running, the FB doing more, of course. In most other categories, the CB is expected to do more than the FB, so converting a FB to CB is actually more difficult than the reverse. A young CB is a decent candidate for conversion or use as a FB, IF they have ball carrying skills and crossing ability. Without that, they can fill the defending FB role perfectly well without offering the same attacking threat down the wing. To be honest, Queen’s Park’s defensive woes are such that the loss of crossing from playing Masson at RB would probably be a negligible impact since I expect our midfield to feast on them.

Conversely, our defending has been a bit shaky, so a competent defender at RB would also be preferable to an attacking type that offers little assistance at the back like Tumilty did.

Trying to get Livi tickets sorted, link on the Rovers website only seems to bring up the West Stand, whereas we are in the East, am I being an idiot?

4 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Delighted Shaun Byrne is definitely here for the rest of the season.

The video the club have just posted looks like a hostage video all the same.

Great news. He has been phenomenal for us and the thought of him and Turner in midfield for Saturday is a much better prospect than the other possibilities last week. Imagine he had been recalled, Turner didn’t sign and Stanton is out for a while.

That comment about the video is bang on 😂  Would have much preferred a bigger interview with Shaun and David Hancock as really like his interviews, he seems to be able to bring something extra out in people and that’s a skill most folk trying this don’t have. I think he is a volunteer though and maybe wasn’t free.

Centre half next if possible Rovers!

I'd still rather a full back than a centre back. That said if we can bring in another good signing it just raises the quality of of the pool available for selection. 

I do wonder if Murray has a longer term issue that he's been playing through. He seems to have lost a bit of his physicality and aggression

8 minutes ago, pub car king said:

I do wonder if Murray has a longer term issue that he's been playing through. He seems to have lost a bit of his physicality and aggression

I think so. I’ve been pretty underwhelmed by him so far compared to the dominant displays he produced for Dunfermline and Killie. I can only assume his shoulder injury keeps niggling away and is stoping him from being 100%

36 minutes ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Delighted Shaun Byrne is definitely here for the rest of the season.

The video the club have just posted looks like a hostage video all the same.

Just seen it and he has the look of a man handcuffed to a radiator 

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

I've heard a few things about Ashcroft. One being it's a done deal to two the deals fallen through to three he's not leaving Dundee at all as Docherty wants to keep him as cover. Who knows. Sure we'll find out soon. Personally I think Watson will be back soon and with him, Murray, Corr, Masson and options of Brown or Dick maybe Murray is going with the 'if you score 2 we'll score 3' mindset. Apparently Watson has been training with the squad for the last two weeks so can't be that far away from returning. 

Given that you spilt your guts about the Turner signing before it was announced I'm going to believe your wide-ranging, rambling ITK nonsense that covers just about every scenario that could occur with Ashcroft.

There's something "special" about a random punter that somehow finds out some good news about their club but can't wait to blab it on P&B rather than have the club announce it themselves......