The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The thing for me, with regards to Easton and Turner, is that there's diminished responsibility on the grounds of that's-not-their-jobs. And ultimately that's an Ian Murray decision and he has to factor that in. He either thinks Easton and/or Turner are good enough to contribute defensively when required, or he's happy to take the risk that they aren't. I suspect it's the latter (as we saw with his willingness to use Connolly and Smith as wing backs recently). 

You could certainly argue that Easton shouldn't be leaving Todorov in that much space, but he's seen a free man on the edge of the box and he's run in to (successfully) get a block on a shot. I don't think it's particularly fair to ask much more of your mercurial winger. 

I'm not sure there's much of a case for the prosecution with regards to Kev Dabrowski either. First and foremost the ball is pinging around his box and he's got to be fully focused on the possibility that it comes flying at him at any second, but also the whole thing happens over a few seconds. I'm not sure there's time for him to properly and fully communicate "Keith, there's a man over here and I need you to come and cover him" with time for it to actually happen. 

Direct blame I would proportion more or less equally to each of the back four. They're all experienced defenders and it different points they all make the kind of decisions you'd expect from teenagers. Indirectly, you also have to point the finger at Ian Murray for the way he's set up and the lack of protection he's offered his defence. 

The only brightside I can offer is that a lot of these goals we've lost recently have been a result of poor organisation and poor communication, which are symptoms of an ever changing defence. Hopefully, with Watson back fit, we'll get a run of games with a consistent defensive set up, and these weaknesses start to drastically recede. 

I don’t disagree with most of those points. I think Easton is getting off a little easy here, because he was one of three reacting, and the one who would probably have stopped the goal if he had held to defending the area. However, the defenders are indeed the ones ultimately to blame.

I am concerned, however, that no matter how much these lads work together, IM’s apparent lack of holding the mids responsible for more on the defensive end will hurt us.

Just now, RRFC_Liam said:

Kev can’t look to his left and shout where Todorov is because he’s a gk and has to be 100% focused on the ball especially that close out other wise players will take advantage and just hit it, but nah kevs the last person to blame at the goal 

Never suggested Kev was to blame, and actually asked for someone with keeper experience to clarify what he should have been doing there since it seemed he saw Toderov and tried to get a defender on him.

1 hour ago, keyser_soze said:

I blame myself for our dip in form, after the win at Tannadice I opted to buy the half season ticket as we were on the crest of the wave......

Since I bought it we have been utter dogshite, sorry guys, it's all my doing 

Oh no you don’t, I already took the blame for going to the Arbroath match and causing the dip in form!

12 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Never suggested Kev was to blame, and actually asked for someone with keeper experience to clarify what he should have been doing there since it seemed he saw Toderov and tried to get a defender on him.

Kev should be still staying focused and shout someone left, someone left obviously the video doesn’t show that if he does or doesn’t but if he did they were either not listening or just simply too focused but he should been 100% should be shouting either left side/No11 or Todorov… and I apologies I thought it was a dig at Kev 

15 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Kev should be screaming about the free man

He was clearly gesturing to Todorov as he crossed into the attacking third...you can see him gesturing and he appears to be shouting...no one responded to it.

3 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Kev should be still staying focused and shout someone left, someone left obviously the video doesn’t show that if he does or doesn’t but if he did they were either not listening or just simply too focused but he should been 100% should be shouting either left side/No11 or Todorov… and I apologies I thought it was a dig at Kev 

I agree totally, and just needed someone with a keeper background to confirm that.

12 hours ago, Scottydog said:

The stark change from the team displays of willingness and fight in and leading up to the win in Dundee in mid December, to the displays of the last few games (no bodies being thrown at the ball etc) makes you wonder if there's something happened that's upset the dressingroom. 

I missed the Airdrie game and had to settle for BBC's showing, I've since heard that after Murray brought on our 4th sub (Byrne for Easton) with 15 mins still to go, Matthews got up out the dugout and marched to the dressing room, did this really happen the way it sounds?

The whole vibe doesn't exactly seem to scream harmony.

Maybe because we’ve been screaming for a defensive change, but wait a minute. Midfield and a striker was more important. Turner has proven until now ineffectual, Rudden makes a move m, ok it was good was ineffectual for the rest of the game, then goes off injured on Friday against Airdrie, but I seem to be the butt of some crap jokes geez peace

On 03/02/2024 at 14:36, SirJimmyofNic said:

O'Reilly was maybe a mistake but then we dont know what the problem was, a 2 year deal or was it financial, just hope the Potter has better lined up for next year, as this defensive shambles has to be addressed    

Not signing O’Reilly was the biggest travesty, but wait there were more concerning issues Midfield and Forward areas, Waits for the usual tears and snotters especially from marshmallo, I mean Halbeath Raith rover

1 hour ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Kev was still at his right hand post and Todorov had literally won the lottery with an empty goal in front of him, how could he miss. I mean Dick who is an alleged Left Back was nowhere near him or the left hand side of the goalpost. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

He was clearly gesturing to Todorov as he crossed into the attacking third...you can see him gesturing and he appears to be shouting...no one responded to it.

I agree totally, and just needed someone with a keeper background to confirm that.

I was a keeper, and I’d expect my left back to be right beside me, or on the back post

29 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

I seem to be the butt of some crap jokes geez peace

You’re the butt of the jokes because you were nowhere to be seen while we were winning every week then once we hit a sticky patch you’re spamming the thread with reactionary drivel. Never happy unless you’re miserable it seems. 

22 minutes ago, Stardog_champion said:

Kev was still at his right hand post and Todorov had literally won the lottery with an empty goal in front of him, how could he miss. I mean Dick who is an alleged Left Back was nowhere near him or the left hand side of the goalpost. 

Dick had to cross over to the near post due to the attack, and then to challenge the second Airdrie player…Watson was free in front of the near post, Millen ran back in and held Dick’s hand, leaving an open player out wide, Murray came back from his slide challenge to settle two yards in front of Watson on the near post…Toderov spent all that time clipping his nails.

13 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

You’re the butt of the jokes because you were nowhere to be seen while we were winning every week then once we hit a sticky patch you’re spamming the thread with reactionary drivel. Never happy unless you’re miserable it seems. 

Every single fitba forum has utter plonkers like this. We have one in particular on .net who even in amongst the other maniacs on there stands out as an utter reactionary dick end. At least on here you can ignore the cant.

5 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

I was a keeper, and I’d expect my left back to be right beside me, or on the back post

Me too and I played to a decent standard of football. There's no way I'd  be in the position Kev was in without knowing who was there and be screaming at whoever that he was free and needed marking. I think Kev was that far over because he knows if it goes to his right side he's not going to get it, I still don't think he's fully fit. He's not at fault though, Todorov shouldn't be getting that much space in the box

Edited by MICMAC

Where was Liam Dick ? Not the first time this season he has been caught out of position but in general someone should have picked up responsibility and marked Todorov if he was unmarked  especially since he scores everytime against us , I’m sure their was 7 rovers players to Airdries 4 at the goal 

7 hours ago, Stardog_champion said:

Not signing O’Reilly was the biggest travesty, but wait there were more concerning issues Midfield and Forward areas, Waits for the usual tears and snotters especially from marshmallo, I mean Halbeath Raith rover

Why do we overspend on a player that we don’t want to keep beyond the end of the season , Murray knows he has to strethghen hence why he will bring loan signings in which are more affordable is that not sensible economics , Look at the league table you would think Rovers are bottom of the league the meltdown involving fans on here is incredible . Sick of listening about O Reilly he played in in the away lost to Airdrie so he ain’t the messiah + he signed when we were on a long unbeaten run. 

I think we need to see a loan signing this week to give them the best possible chance to bed in.and for me it needs to be a full back.

It's been discussed to death for months on here but I think the 6 minutes on Friday encapsulates perfectly every single weak point in the defence. The players being pulled out of position, not being aware of opponents, runners not being tracked, formation gone to absute shit.

You can criticise Kev and his positioning/communication but there is only so much he can do it's entirely on the defence. 

Although the midfield selection again had people out of position. 

I think we all l need the next fortnight away from this to gain some perspective and have a wee reset. 

7 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

While Liam Dick was undoubtedly out of position, he’s certainly not the only one to blame for conceding that goal. Murray, Watson and even Millen all had a part to play. 

As did the midfield and forward line. Lost possession too easily, not enough coverage and piss poor awareness when tracking back. That said, poor defending happens at all levels. Look at the Super Sunday game in England yesterday, those highly paid idiots made schoolboy defending look competent.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

I think we need to see a loan signing this week to give them the best possible chance to bed in.and for me it needs to be a full back.

It's been discussed to death for months on here but I think the 6 minutes on Friday encapsulates perfectly every single weak point in the defence. The players being pulled out of position, not being aware of opponents, runners not being tracked, formation gone to absute shit.

You can criticise Kev and his positioning/communication but there is only so much he can do it's entirely on the defence. 

Although the midfield selection again had people out of position. 

I think we all l need the next fortnight away from this to gain some perspective and have a wee reset. 

Can we maybe just give young Hannah a chance at left back before spending more?  The Young Lad looked OK to me for the brief spell he has been on the pitch.  I know he is young, but a 17 year old appeared for a premier league team at the weekend!  Trying out young Hannah in a game that mattered would not be seen as the most Gung Ho decision Murray has made.  Would it?

On another matter.  I too used to play in Goal, and Big Kev had to be on the right hand side of his goal line just before the goal because all the play was to his right,  in order to cover his near post .  However, like other Keepers above, I would have expected my left back to be covering the left post area and not clashing in an attempted header with my right back who was in his right back position!

Some crazy comments on here 

“sack I Murray” 🤦🏽‍♂️ - wasn’t long ago people were thinking he was the best thing since sliced bread 

“should have done all we could have to sign O’Reilly” - we still conceded with him on the pitch - hell he even scored an OG! 

We have hungry young blood on that bench week in, week out.  Might be a bit ropey to start cause they know they will get 💩 and moaned at but let them get used to the team!! 

masson needs back in the team. What did he actually do? 

Corr is rapid, he’s always played in a “makeshift team” not it our strongest team and done ok. Would like to see him and Watson at the back.

Main thing is let’s get behind the players and manager. Something seems off we shouldn’t be adding to it but would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room!

Edited by mrraith71