The New Raith Rovers Thread

3 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

I didn't hear specifics on players but a few weeks ago I was told by a mate who's connected to another club in our league that there was an incident where players found out (discovered rather than spoken to) who was being released/not offered a new contract in the summer and it caused some friction between management and the squad. Given Millen's out of contract in the summer, that would line up.

Bloody laptops eh!

1 hour ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Millen being released not really a stretch, so maybe it is true. Poor management to let the players find out though. 

If true that's poor and a really quick way to tear apart morale in the squad. 

Millen being released not really a stretch, so maybe it is true. Poor management to let the players find out though. 

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

If true that's poor and a really quick way to tear apart morale in the squad. 

Is it though? I would think that a player would want to know by January if they were in the future plans of the team. I don’t see a player “downing tools” simply because they get told they won’t be offered a new contract, but I can see how “finding it out” versus being told might cause friction. A player knowing their contract won’t be renewed can often be expected to double down so as to attract attention from other teams and/or improve his opportunities.

Now, if a number of players all get the word, then you can run into the “downing tools” issue…

1 hour ago, Ex Machina said:

I didn't hear specifics on players but a few weeks ago I was told by a mate who's connected to another club in our league that there was an incident where players found out (discovered rather than spoken to) who was being released/not offered a new contract in the summer and it caused some friction between management and the squad. Given Millen's out of contract in the summer, that would line up.

It wouldn't exactly be unlike us to self destruct mid season so this would not be a huge shock.

I’m pretty sure if it is true that it wasn’t a management choice to let players discover it rather than being told.  It’s not like somebody went out of their way to leave something out so players can find out who is and isn’t in the clubs plans for next season.

What a way to shoot ourselves in the foot if it is true though. 

If the rumours are true that players have found out getting released and getting offered no new deals, let’s take a look who’s Under contract and OOC 

Under: Dabrowski, Murray, Brown, Stanton, Connolly, Vaughan, Smith, Mullin, Hamilton, Hannah. 

OOC, Thomson, McNeil, Millen, Watson, Dick, Matthews, Corr, Ross, Easton, McGill, Arnott, Masson Then Byrne, Turner Rudden and Browns loans are done.

even if we keep 2/3 OOC players that’s still a big rebuild in the summer we need imo Minimum 3 Full backs, at least 2/3 CHs, 2/3 Central Midfielders, Maybe another winger/out and out No9 and obviously 2 GKs 

Just now, RRFC_Liam said:

OOC, Thomson, McNeil, Millen, Watson, Dick, Matthews, Corr, Ross, Easton, McGill, Arnott, Masson Then Byrne, Turner Rudden and Browns loans are done.

I think from this list we will keep the 2 goalies. 

We will likely release Masson, Arnott, Ross, Watson and Millen. 

Easton will reject us and move on. 

The loans will return to parent clubs apart from Byrne who is OOC himself and we'll make him an offer.

Dick, Matthews, Corr and McGill are really up in the air for me. Dick probably isn't good enough but he's a sort of utility defender and we don't have many defenders. Matthews I'd keep all day long but doubt Ian Murray feels the same. McGill deserves a fair crack of the whip and some game time. 

Corr needs to playland if its not with us he'll move on. 

This summer is going to see some drastic surgery on the defence and we will need a replacement for Easton. 

Although most won’t want to consider it and indeed, it’s not hugely likely, we are currently in a title battle and if that goes tits up, there are the play offs to fall back on. Do sides like Livi or Ross County strike fear in to many?

My point is, with all due respect, are these out of contract guys premier league players? No. Maybe Matthews at a push but it been a long time since he has stayed fit and had a run of games.

We need to reevaluate at close of season. In the meantime I would like to think these players continue to give their all to either change peoples minds and/or to win themselves a gig somewhere else for next season.

Im hoping all this talk of infighting is being blown out of proportion 

1 hour ago, SanStarko said:

I’m pretty sure if it is true that it wasn’t a management choice to let players discover it rather than being told.  It’s not like somebody went out of their way to leave something out so players can find out who is and isn’t in the clubs plans for next season.

What a way to shoot ourselves in the foot if it is true though. 

Wasn’t suggesting it was their choice, more a mistake was allowed to happen which is the poor management. Yeah, Raith Rovers seem to always find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot. 

54 minutes ago, pub car king said:

The loans will return to parent clubs apart from Byrne who is OOC himself and we'll make him an offer.

Same with James Brown he might be playing to put himself in the market if he’s better than Millen with 14 games to go then maybe he’s the ready made replacement 

23 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Has there been a fallout between Millen and the Gaffer?? , someone on facebook says they've heard a rumour,  probably a load of tosh 

Wishing I hadn't asked the question now. 

I cant see such a professional behind the scene setup as we have now "accidentally" letting out this early whos not being offered new contracts, unless there is method in the madness 

Edited by SirJimmyofNic

So, to clear we've escalated from: signed a right back>Millen had massive falling out with Murray> half the squad "found out" that they aren't being kept on and morale is shot?

Is that right?

6 minutes ago, renton said:

So, to clear we've escalated from: signed a right back>Millen had massive falling out with Murray> half the squad "found out" that they aren't being kept on and morale is shot?

Is that right?

Of course it is.

All these rumours just remind me of good old Andy Stewart, from back in the day, and his poem called The Rumour. You'll find it on YouTube if anybody's sufficiently interested.

Edited by embow
Added item

If people get annoyed ( as some seem to have) by  and don’t like rumours, innuendo and ill judged humour ( at times ), can I ask why they come on a fitba forum that is crammed full of it for every team 🤷🏻‍♂️ curious to know . I doubt this forum will bring down morale of the squad ( seriously doubt any read it) no matter how important we all are 😂😂

Edited by Been going too long

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Yes, yes it is.

Nope. These are mostly people playing for their next contract regardless, and they know that packing it in will be seen by potential future clubs. A player who turned it off because they found they weren’t getting an offer next year would be condemning themselves to a smaller contract the next year, because everything is based upon put up or shut up.

In professional sports, the phrase “contract year” is quite commonly used to explain higher performances from players reaching the end of a multiyear deal. Scottish football runs like this for over 80% of its players, if not more.

Just now, TxRover said:

Nope. These are mostly people playing for their next contract regardless, and they know that packing it in will be seen by potential future clubs. A player who turned it off because they found they weren’t getting an offer next year would be condemning themselves to a smaller contract the next year, because everything is based upon put up or shut up.

In professional sports, the phrase “contract year” is quite commonly used to explain higher performances from players reaching the end of a multiyear deal. Scottish football runs like this for over 80% of its players, if not more.

Agreed Tx 

2 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

Although most won’t want to consider it and indeed, it’s not hugely likely, we are currently in a title battle and if that goes tits up, there are the play offs to fall back on. Do sides like Livi or Ross County strike fear in to many?

My point is, with all due respect, are these out of contract guys premier league players? No. Maybe Matthews at a push but it been a long time since he has stayed fit and had a run of games.

We need to reevaluate at close of season. In the meantime I would like to think these players continue to give their all to either change peoples minds and/or to win themselves a gig somewhere else for next season.

Im hoping all this talk of infighting is being blown out of proportion 

None of the team are premier league players at the minute. We are getting bet off 💩 teams just now, we would get horsed on SPL