The New Raith Rovers Thread

Truth be told Raith were shocking in the 2nd half last night, expecially the defense. 

Now that the wheels have broke on our wagon I really want you to beat the Arabs to the title, so time for shoulders back and chests out for the remaining games as like many Championship fans I am fuckin sick and tired of seeing premier teams relegated then back up in one season.

Time for a fuckin change.

1 hour ago, FitbaSupporter said:

This is pretty much spot on. Keep our attacking options and strengthen the defence for next season. With a better mentality and less tinkering week to week. 

Defence to be fair starts at the forward line. I do agree that we can score goals bit concede far to many. Even last season with a poor squad we looked better in games at the back.

We currently lack bite and steel in the middle of the park. One of our first signings has to be a strong, physical ball winning midfielder hopefully with some presence as we are not a big squad. Byrne is a nice tidy midfielder but lacks in the real physical battle. We also need a new back line. Both fullbacks need improved along with the CBs who again need to be more aggressive. Up top we have too many similar players. I hate saying it as he's been a good servant but Connolly has to go, I also struggle to see what Callum Smith brings. Hamilton needs service and Easton for me on form is a match winner. Vaughan is Vaughan. A fast winger would be a good addition and I would consider trying to get George Oakley. He must be a nightmare to play against.

In short we need to sign a big strong spine for the team as we are a soft touch with flair roundabout it.

Sorry ignore the 1st part of that. But that’s what it feels like with some of the crap getting spouted on here-tactical geniuses.

9 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Eh ????

People are seemingly forgetting this is the first season Big Kev has started consistently, and played as a number one. Over one third of his TOTAL professional playing time has occurred THIS season WITH US. Let that sink in, 35 games for the Rovers, and just 66 games played professionally outwith that. He’s been a professional keeper for 101 matches…not even three seasons…and never, until this season, consistently. The most he got before that was at Queen of the South where he played six in a row twice.

He IS a young player in that context. Keepers certainly mature into the game more slowly, mainly because of the amount of time that often passes before they get consistent starts. Does his game have flaws, absolutely…and you can bet your bottom dollar that Thomson is working on a drill to strengthen Kev’s reaction to similar events to yesterday as we speak. You can also bet that Big Kev knows exactly who was or wasn’t at fault for the goals, and is probably blaming himself more than any of us are.

To say that we can’t challenge for promotion with Big Kev is mental, in my opinion. He’s shown he will likely develop into a special keeper, and he’s won us far more points than he’s given up! That’s the nature of keepers, they are the one on the podium, exposed to the slings and arrow whenever something goes wrong, and complemented when it goes well until the next whoopsie. A field player almost always has a chance to fix a mistake, a keeper is usually picking the mistake out of the netting. No one is perfect, but Big Kev’s plenty good for me.

5 minutes ago, SerieA said:

Sorry ignore the 1st part of that. But that’s what it feels like with some of the crap getting spouted on here-tactical geniuses.

If Utd fall by the wayside again today, I can see that scenario somehow materialise, as Goodwin will be hinging on by his fingernails

@TxRoverthe only thing I would say is it's genuinely taught from a young age that you meet the ball at its highest point from crosses as a 'keeper. The guys 6'4? Or thereabouts. That second goal last night was criminal from him. I accept he hasn't played consistently but to me that is part of the very basics of being a goalkeeper.

I'm a big fan of his though and he has won us plenty of games that we can afford him the odd mistake however in a title run in, which we are now in, we can't afford such basic errors. 

It's been nearly 24 hours and I still can't wrap my head around that game last night.

Frustrating as that equaliser was, I felt the abuse Kev got was unnecessary. Aye he fucked up but I've never understood the thinking behind abusing your own player, like that's going to help in any way.

8 minutes ago, grumswall said:

@TxRoverthe only thing I would say is it's genuinely taught from a young age that you meet the ball at its highest point from crosses as a 'keeper. The guys 6'4? Or thereabouts. That second goal last night was criminal from him. I accept he hasn't played consistently but to me that is part of the very basics of being a goalkeeper.

I'm a big fan of his though and he has won us plenty of games that we can afford him the odd mistake however in a title run in, which we are now in, we can't afford such basic errors. 

Absolutely, no disagreement he was at fault, but the over the top blaming and doom and gloom…naw.

2 minutes ago, Sweaty Morph said:

It's been nearly 24 hours and I still can't wrap my head around that game last night.

Frustrating as that equaliser was, I felt the abuse Kev got was unnecessary. Aye he fucked up but I've never understood the thinking behind abusing your own player, like that's going to help in any way.

I’ve not watched the highlights yet, I don’t want PTSD for the 30 Dec game I flew in to watch. But if people are doing that they’re morons, not fans. Let he who is without f**k-ups yell the first abuse (Book of Nicholl, 1:2).

31 minutes ago, TxRover said:

People are seemingly forgetting this is the first season Big Kev has started consistently, and played as a number one. Over one third of his TOTAL professional playing time has occurred THIS season WITH US. Let that sink in, 35 games for the Rovers, and just 66 games played professionally outwith that. He’s been a professional keeper for 101 matches…not even three seasons…and never, until this season, consistently. The most he got before that was at Queen of the South where he played six in a row twice.

He was 25 when we signed him and had played for for at least 5 clubs in Scotland. Looking at him sometimes you'd think he was an outfirlder playing in goals for the first time. His judgement on cross balls is genuinely thee worst I've ever seen. Even worse than that is his kicking. Getting paid to be a professional footballer and he can't even boot a fucking ball to the half way line. Spent the last 30 minutes pinned into our own haf last night because everytime he kicked into the wind it went 30 fucking yards or was sliced out of play.

Really tried not to criticse anything about the club this season but it has been obvious to me since very early on that our lack of a half decent keeper would cost us dearly.

11 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

He was 25 when we signed him and had played for for at least 5 clubs in Scotland. Looking at him sometimes you'd think he was an outfirlder playing in goals for the first time. His judgement on cross balls is genuinely thee worst I've ever seen. Even worse than that is his kicking. Getting paid to be a professional footballer and he can't even boot a fucking ball to the half way line. Spent the last 30 minutes pinned into our own haf last night because everytime he kicked into the wind it went 30 fucking yards or was sliced out of play.

Really tried not to criticse anything about the club this season but it has been obvious to me since very early on that our lack of a half decent keeper would cost us dearly.

That's way over the top, there were 10 other outfield players that couldn't keep the ball out of their own half for playing head tennis and couldn't find a teammate with a pass, ok Kev made a bloomer but th rest were like headless chickens after Arbroaths 1st

Now the dust has settled we just have to try and move forward. Massive missed opportunity.

Murray needs to land on a settled 11 for the run-in IMO.

Looked a different team without Watson. Euan Murray needs to give us so much more in terms of leadership. Wasn’t his biggest fan first time round and retain same view we could do a lot better. If Ashcroft wasn’t hurt I’ve no doubts he’d have been dropped.

Just now, SirJimmyofNic said:

That's way over the top, there were 10 other outfield players that couldn't keep the ball out of their own half for playing head tennis and couldn't find a teammate with a pass, ok Kev made a bloomer but th rest were like headless chickens after Arbroaths 1st

It's not over the top at all. I accept keepers make mistakes. I can't accept paying to watch someone play football and he can't even kick the ball straight, to a team mate or further that 30 yards. For the last 30 minutes every kick he took went out for a throw in 20 yards inside our half our went miles in the air and travelled about 30 yards. WTF are our players meant to do other than head it on?

4 minutes ago, RR #1 said:

It's not over the top at all. I accept keepers make mistakes. I can't accept paying to watch someone play football and he can't even kick the ball straight, to a team mate or further that 30 yards. For the last 30 minutes every kick he took went out for a throw in 20 yards inside our half our went miles in the air and travelled about 30 yards. WTF are our players meant to do other than head it on?

Maybe there was an environment condition that precluded kicking it further or more accurately…hum, thinking, what could it be at Gayfield?

1 minute ago, RR #1 said:

For the last 30 minutes every kick he took went out for a throw in 20 yards inside our half our went miles in the air and travelled about 30 yards. WTF are our players meant to do other than head it on?

Kicking into a 30mph wind, what more do you expect from him ?

Yeah we all know he has his faults, would rather have Dracula for crosses and his kicking isn't the best, but as a shot stopper he's up there with the best in the league.

He had a howler for the 2nd agreed but he's arguably the best keeper we've had since McGurn. 

In the first half you could see his kicks were flying down the park. Less so in the 2nd, but don't tell Arbroath fans the wind is an issue there. 

He's made a c**t of it no 2 ways about it, that said we were reeling from the minute Arbroath scored their first. 

Only 1 point dropped to Dundee Utd, I'll take that 

Edit - still miles clear of 3rd place too, double whammy

Edited by keyser_soze