The New Raith Rovers Thread

33 minutes ago, Raith69 said:

Very happy with the transfer business we have done and with the expected Hanlon signing, the only concern I have is that we seem to be all left footed in defence as Stevenson is left footed as is Fordyce, Hanlon, Murray and Dick. That leaves Corr as the only right footed defender.

Murray is naturally right footed but can use his left just as well he did play both sides of fullback for us 

10 minutes ago, RRFC_Liam said:

Murray is naturally right footed but can use his left just as well he did play both sides of fullback for us 

After posting I re-looked up Euan's  stats and yes it does say right footed, will be interesting to see where our centre backs all play this season, but really happy with the strength of our defence this season just need a couple of right backs and defence will be sorted.

Great to have Matthews back again. It would cushion any loss of Byrne if he doesn't come back. I have a feeling he will though. 

I'm surprised that we've not had season ticket renewals come through yet, I really want to ensure mine is done before I blow my cash on German beer from next weekend onwards.🤣

This may have slipped under the radar what with all the weather updates lately. 

The volunteers at the club do a power of work none more so than Raith TV. 

4 minutes ago, pub car king said:

This may have slipped under the radar what with all the weather updates lately. 

The volunteers at the club do a power of work none more so than Raith TV. 

Agreed. I know he has an account on here so would like to wish him the best in his next venture and thank him especially for the covid period where it was him and Davie, aswell as the others involved who really kept us all involved with the club through raithtv. 

I think one of our key improvements last season in comparison to previous seasons was getting our business done quickly so fair play to Murray and the board for continuing that, they're certainly not farting about and clearly know what's needed within the squad. Still a lot of work to be done but we're going about things well at the moment. If the Hanlon rumour is true then that's a pretty big marker on the type of quality we can entice to the club. 

I'd reckon we'll be still needing:

Potential back up keeper if McNeil doesn't stay now that Robbie has retired

RB x 2 (a starter and someone for cover)

LB cover (if Dick doesn't extend...lol. I can't see Hannah not being put out on loan next season)

Byrne should just sign the contract

A striker

Some pacey fucker to run off said striker/Hamilton's knock on's

23 minutes ago, Raithie said:

I think one of our key improvements last season in comparison to previous seasons was getting our business done quickly so fair play to Murray and the board for continuing that, they're certainly not farting about and clearly know what's needed within the squad.

Agreed. 

The other bonus of announcing players early is that it makes it obvious you’ve signed your first choice targets. 

With the exception of loan players, if you’re making signings at the end of the window then there’s a good chance they are the ones you could get after your first choices went to your rivals. 

Some good quality and very experienced guys putting pen to paper, all of which should see us make a good fist of things next season. But potentially at what eventual cost?

A few years ago we had a very young side with some exciting prospects (Tait, Bowie, Arnott, Ross, Masson, Henry,  Mitchell, etc) some of which were sold and others just moved on, my only concern is the signing of a too many players at the arse end of their careers. Other than Hamilton and Dubrowski a lot of our guys are in the autumn of their careers.

It'd have been good to see the young guy from East Kilbride come to reverse that trend some, perhaps we will see some young prospects brought in if not to challenge immediately at least to fill out the field in training, maybe a 3rd choice keeper type of signing to go with Hannah our 3rd choice LB?

37 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Agreed. 

The other bonus of announcing players early is that it makes it obvious you’ve signed your first choice targets. 

With the exception of loan players, if you’re making signings at the end of the window then there’s a good chance they are the ones you could get after your first choices went to your rivals. 

Need to get signings sorted and out…they’ll be back training shortly

The young lad from E.Kilbride, we don't know what his circumstances are. He might be serving an apprenticeship somewhere and after speaking with his family he might want to finish that first before going full-time or he might be looking a bit closer to home with someone like Hamilton or Airdrie.