The New Raith Rovers Thread

Thought the introduction of Ross Mathews changed the pattern of the game in our favour.

As others have said previously, something not quite right with the way we set up in midfield at times (leading to zero opportunities at goal)

Callum Smith did fine up front when he came on, Jack Hamilton looks devoid of confidence and Lewis Gibson will be definitely be challenging for a starting place.

Smith played really well when he came on. Really unlucky not to score. Yeah it was only a friendly, but Stevenson and hanlon are different class, and will have such a calming influence this season. 

38 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

So everyone I spike to or heard after the game stated we badly need a striker, hardly what you'd expect to hear if we had the best strikers in the league.

Aye but those same people probably wanted us to throw balls into the box and when we did questioned why Hamilton didn't win every header against 3 massive defenders. 

45 minutes ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Aye but those same people probably wanted us to throw balls into the box and when we did questioned why Hamilton didn't win every header against 3 massive defenders. 

Brexit means brexit!

1 hour ago, Jilted John said:

That wasn’t what I said though. You might take Graham over Hamilton but you wouldn’t swap our front three of Hamilton, Vaughan and Smith for any other teams centre forward options.

Smith, Vaughan and Hamilton will do fine. I have faith in the latter. Hamilton is an out and out poacher. He needs a hold up player to lay that perfect ball at his feet.

12 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Adam Masson any good lads? Seems to be on trial with us (Stirling)

Should be fine I think. Was on loan at Linlithgow 2nd half of last season,but never heard much about how he played.

Bottom line is he needs games at a level he is comfortable at.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

Adam Masson any good lads? Seems to be on trial with us (Stirling)

A lad who will give everything and a great lad to have around the club. Needs games, needs to learn of course but he's young. 

Edited by CountryBumpkin

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, keyser_soze said:

Agree with all of the above, also thought Hannah did well in the limited minutes he had. It's also very clear to see that Stevenson and Hanlon will absolutely stroll it at this level.

The new top looks a lot better in the flesh than it did in the release pictures, nice enough to make me part with £45, just a pity they are made small, need to exchange it for 1 size up, anyone know if the club shop will be open tomorrow, don't want to drive down from Glenrothes if it's closed.

On 05/07/2024 at 20:31, grumswall said:

I'm maybe just getting slimmer(I'm not) but got my normal size for this year's compared to a size up on last seasons and it's a better fit for me. 

A bit of a difference of opinion here? JOMA ? Looking to buy one for the Father in law ? 

Edited by tazz1903
ADD

Missed the game today due to holidays, but just watched the highlights.

First thought was that big Kev's top would clash with their strip, but the never really got close enough to our box for it to be an issue. Anyway, having a FIFA level referee like Kevin Clancy in charge, it was never likely to be a problem (that boy has come on a bundle since he denied us a stonewall penalty for handball in the 2014 Ramsden's Cup Final), although I'm still mystified as to why he disallowed Connolly's goal.

All in all, a third consecutive clean sheet is not to be sniffed at, irrespective of the opposition, and hopefully we work out how to best feed Hamilton in order to get him firing again.

10 hours ago, tazz1903 said:

A bit of a difference of opinion here? JOMA ? Looking to buy one for the Father in law ? 

I’d say size up with Joma, grumswall has obviously been hitting the gym all summer. Joma tops seem designed to be tight fitting which is great if you’ve got the physique for it but if you like your shirt a little less tight fitting I’d definitely say to size up. 

Posted (edited)

For being our third pre season game I was kinda hoping to see a bit more fluidity. Was a touch disjointed against a very poor team I felt. JM and DE frustrated me a touch but it was perhaps the way we had set up. This is the time to get the rustiness out and work on things though. 

Just my personal view but do think we need someone else to ease the burden on LV with a share of the goals. I don’t think Hamilton is a bad player, but I’m not sure the way we are gets the best from him. 

and a very small sample size but I really do like the look of young Montague. He looks really promising, forward thinking and brave on the ball. 

Edited by Railwaystand

I reckon Hannah and Montagu will head out on loan and Murray/Potter will look to bring in a couple of more experienced players on loan.

I would rather we kept them both and gave them a chance whether that’s off the bench or starting when we have injury/suspension.No better place to learn than alongside some of the experienced players we have.

Likewise with a striker.Why not take a punt on a young player from somewhere rather than try and find a loan - like Rudden!!

1 hour ago, Railwaystand said:

For being our third pre season game I was kinda hoping to see a bit more fluidity. Was a touch disjointed against a very poor team I felt. JM and DE frustrated me a touch but it was perhaps the way we had set up. This is the time to get the rustiness out and work on things though. 

Just my personal view but do think we need someone else to ease the burden on LV with a share of the goals. I don’t think Hamilton is a bad player, but I’m not sure the way we are gets the best from him. 

and a very small sample size but I really do like the look of young Montague. He looks really promising, forward thinking and brave on the ball. 

I get where you’re coming from but we’ve had a different starting 11 for each of the 3 games.  These games are for tinkering with the team to see what works and what doesn’t. 

I’ll be more concerned if we still look that way by the time when the league starts.

20 hours ago, mealsonwheels said:

I am currently packing as we are moving home and I came across this cracker of a top packed in with some older scarfs. I think it was the 1995 season but could be wrong.

I'm going to pop it onto eBay for sale 🙂 far too small for me

PXL_20240706_161550370.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

PTSD of Blobby Geddes flailing about in that thing.