The New Raith Rovers Thread

First match of the season for me, and I was actually very impressed on the whole. Didn't really deserve to lose in my opinion, didn't think there was anything between the teams at all.

Tade was very impressive apart from his finishing, his touch, movement and pace caused the defence a lot of problems, but unfortunately he seems to possess the same erratic finishing as his cousin. Campbell was as solid as ever, and I thought Grant Murray was decent enough on the whole, Hill did some good things and some bad things.

Most impressive though was Stephen Simmons, he was excellent tonight. Some of his passes were magnificent, like the one he dinked through to Williamson to play him in on goal. Hope he keeps that up, and McGlynn lets him play with a midfield partner who has at least a quarter of his footballing brain.

As pantene proV correctly says, we need a striker and a left back. I'm not sure Ellis will cope there week in, week out. The left hand side of him and Ferry was certainly where Norwich got most of their chances from.

Overall, I was impressed, and didn't think we deserved to lose the match.

Everyone knows the answer here is to play Robert Sloan there....except from John McGlynn who will continue to Iain Davidson.

:(

You said you'd say hello.

True, I'll do that next time I see you. I'll feel like a proper fud, but I suppose I'm used to that feeling by now!

McGlynn really has to get his first loan striker spot on. Tade and Weir may get 15 goals between them. We really need a Kevin Smith to compliment those 15 goals.

Again Simmons was awsome and would love to see him and Sloan get stuck into this league.

Spot on with both counts, but we'll be doing well to get a player who'll score 15 plus considering we'll be floating about the bottom half. Someone who plays as more of a poacher would be ideal.

And Simmons and Sloan tore Brechin a new arsehole on the one occasion they played 90 minutes together, but you just know they won't get a chance.

Edited by Paco

This sentance makes me sad :( Why can't McGlynn see it?

Hey, have faith, the Boabster is currently off fighting swine flu and ending global suffering, so maybe when he returns McGlynn will see sense.

Probably not, mind, but sometimes hope is all you have.

Davidson and Simmons would be my first choice. We're not playing Brechin any more, we're going to be up against it more and Davidson will get stuck in. Not sure where Sloan is going to fit in, actually, I suppose he'll be first choice back-up anwhere across midfield, so he'll still get plenty games.

Davidson and Simmons would be my first choice. We're not playing Brechin any more, we're going to be up against it more and Davidson will get stuck in. Not sure where Sloan is going to fit in, actually, I suppose he'll be first choice back-up anwhere across midfield, so he'll still get plenty games.

Personally, I think that Sloan improved his tracking and tackling drastically last year when played in the center of midfield while supplying our forwards with some excellent passes. His assists were invaluable to us winning the league: he made as significant a contribution to picking up the title as Kevin Smith did.

Davidson and Simmons would be my first choice. We're not playing Brechin any more, we're going to be up against it more and Davidson will get stuck in.

Depends what you mean by 'stuck in'. If you mean chasing lost causes and fouling people, then yes, Davidson is the best option, but if you mean winning the ball, retaining possession and actually sticking to the task and not chasing the ball fifty yards out of position, I'd give Simmons the 'sitting' role every day of the week.

Only a personal viewpoint, like, but even after all this time I'm not really sure what he brings to a midfield. Energy, but that's about it. I was dismayed to see he's still captain this evening.

I was impressed tonight. The Norwich side were player for player bigger and our boys coped well. For me I agree with what most people have said on here, get Murray and possibly Hill, then a forward and if possible a left back. Tade was frustrating to watch, he got into some great positions and caused problems for the Norwich defence. I just hope he improves his ability to strike a ball. It is like he is a really shite player on that mousebreaker volley challange game. Simmons was class and Bryce did well when he came on. Wier he usual great self, Ferry looked below par and I hope he is not in out strongest starting XI next season, but Gary O looked desperatly out his depth! Rumor has it Andrew McNeil (ex-hibs) is training with us, might be worth a look in, but I would not want him to replace McGurn who did well tonight.

re the midfield debate, it's imperative that Sloan gets a game 'cos if we're playing strikers that struggle to score then we need pinpoint delivery from set pieces as another option.

Anyone see Davo take a corner tonight?! Case closed in my eyes.

Over to you, Mr McGlynn.

Rumor has it Andrew McNeil (ex-hibs) is training with us, might be worth a look in, but I would not want him to replace McGurn who did well tonight.

An absolute bombscare by all accounts from what my mates say, wouldn't be worth signing. McGurn was on the bench tonight though, what was it that impressed you about him? :P

As for the game itself, I thought we managed to hold our own against superior opposition. It's only a friendly match in which the result is meaningless, but it's reassuring that we didn't get thumped!

Simmons has been excellent these past two games. Some really good passes and he puts himself about. I really hope he can continue like this. Tade does the job until he's in front of goal. He really, really needs to get composure from somewhere. Hopefully it'll come soon.

Ellis was poor, as were Ferry and Davidson. O'Connor had a few decent saves, but looked shaky at times.

It's a shame we never got to see Darren Smith play. I can only assume he was injured?

An absolute bombscare by all accounts from what my mates say, wouldn't be worth signing. McGurn was on the bench tonight though, what was it that impressed you about him? :P

It's a shame we never got to see Darren Smith play. I can only assume he was injured?

:ph34r: I thought he came on at half-time. We;; in that case Gary O played better 2nd half.

I think somebody on here said he picked up a knock in the Airdrie game.