The New Raith Rovers Thread

Lloyd Young?

Are the current crop actually any better or is it just that we don't have any choice but to give them a try?

Depends on who you are referencing against: If you look at the current crop vs the likes of Byrce, Tam graham, Wedderburn, Dingwall etc - then the current mob are at the very least better coached, if not more talented. The fact is that they, for the most part, look comfortable at our current level where the likes of Bryce and Wedderburn struggled a division lower.

This is a daft question, but am I right in saying that I can't buy tickets for the Dunfermline game before either the game against Falkirk or against Airdrie on Tuesday?

It doesn't look like it, not at the ground anyway.

http://www.raithrovers.net/6277/raith-rovers-v-dunfermline-athletic-ticket-sales-update.htm

weve not really produced anyone who could make the stepup and play in the spl since the likes of dargo as rw corrected me on. but we do have players in laidlaw and donaldson who are capable players at this level. they probably need to be getting more first team action, donaldson especially. laidlaws learning of a good goalkeeper and id imagine the plan is for him to take over when davie does decide to leave/retire which based on the little iv seen of him i wouldnt mind happening.

This might not be very popular, but...

Is now the time to really cut our cloth? Embrace part-time football completely until such times as the net debt has been reduced to a more manageable level.

Let's face it. We're not going to get relegated this season. We don't need to add anyone in January. Hell, it's not going to be very much fun, but we'll pick up enough points to finish comfortably ahead of any two from Hamilton, Airdrie and Dumbarton.

Depending on the way the Dunfermline situation pans out, we could find that a pretty big source of income is lost too.

We're not going to win the league this season. Next season, with (probably) Dundee back in the league and (presumably) Morton making another full-time charge we're not very likely to win it either, or come particularly close.

Hearts and Dunfermline are the closest at the moment, they won't be the only ones. If another club fails, like Rangers did, that's one less relegation place in every league.

I'd suggest that we slash costs now, where possible. Only bring in a player to replace someone who's left, and let the full-timers go at the end of their current contracts. Bring costs down as far as possible, knowing that this is probably the best opportunity we're ever likely to get to do so without plummeting through the leagues (or at least, it won't happen as quickly as it might otherwise have done).

I've got no idea how much would have to be cut, or how long it'd have to stay at the lowest possible levels, for us to see a real reduction in the debt (and, crucially, the interest leaving the club each month) before we could start to increase spending, but that day will come eventually.

I'm proposing short term pain for long term gain. Take the hit now, while there's some form of safety net, and be in a much stronger position in five years time.

Pretty much every club in Scotland is going to have to run through this process at some point. The Rovers certainly are. Stirling Albion and Clyde are already doing so. I suggest we do it as soon as possible.

problem with that is the fans would desert the club if we ended up in a situation like stirling etc. we would then have a lost generation of fans potentially meaning the clubs income isnt sufficient to even service the debt. without the safety net of owning starks we would end up going the way of the dodo.

This might not be very popular, but...

Is now the time to really cut our cloth? Embrace part-time football completely until such times as the net debt has been reduced to a more manageable level.

Let's face it. We're not going to get relegated this season. We don't need to add anyone in January. Hell, it's not going to be very much fun, but we'll pick up enough points to finish comfortably ahead of any two from Hamilton, Airdrie and Dumbarton.

Depending on the way the Dunfermline situation pans out, we could find that a pretty big source of income is lost too.

We're not going to win the league this season. Next season, with (probably) Dundee back in the league and (presumably) Morton making another full-time charge we're not very likely to win it either, or come particularly close.

Hearts and Dunfermline are the closest at the moment, they won't be the only ones. If another club fails, like Rangers did, that's one less relegation place in every league.

I'd suggest that we slash costs now, where possible. Only bring in a player to replace someone who's left, and let the full-timers go at the end of their current contracts. Bring costs down as far as possible, knowing that this is probably the best opportunity we're ever likely to get to do so without plummeting through the leagues (or at least, it won't happen as quickly as it might otherwise have done).

I've got no idea how much would have to be cut, or how long it'd have to stay at the lowest possible levels, for us to see a real reduction in the debt (and, crucially, the interest leaving the club each month) before we could start to increase spending, but that day will come eventually.

I'm proposing short term pain for long term gain. Take the hit now, while there's some form of safety net, and be in a much stronger position in five years time.

Pretty much every club in Scotland is going to have to run through this process at some point. The Rovers certainly are. Stirling Albion and Clyde are already doing so. I suggest we do it as soon as possible.

Think if we do it has to be a gradual process, we do have some good youth players we can make the step up but they need time to learn off the experienced players and preferably brought on or start games against lesser opposition or while we are winning. If we try and drop all full time players and get overyone on part time in one go it will cause issues. Also i would worry about being so confident about certain teams staying in the bottom of the league. The 1st div is one of the most competitive and unpredicable leagues around

Id love to see the likes of Callaghan, Donaldson and Vaughan more game time. Infact the game against Deveronvale if we beat Airdrie is an ideal opportunity for some of these boys to get a run out. Tho we only need to look at Donaldson who was thrown in at the deep end and lets be fair really didnt look out of place for the first few months but then his inexperience did show in games tho im sure he did benefit from those games tho probably better playing reserves this year

Id love to see the likes of Callaghan, Donaldson and Vaughan more game time. Infact the game against Deveronvale if we beat Airdrie is an ideal opportunity for some of these boys to get a run out. Tho we only need to look at Donaldson who was thrown in at the deep end and lets be fair really didnt look out of place for the first few months but then his inexperience did show in games tho im sure he did benefit from those games tho probably better playing reserves this year

If we manage to beat Airdrie, we'd have an excellent chance of getting to the last 16. Deveronvale have already done superb so far in the cup, so we can't take them lightly. If we got through, then everything should point to going into the game against Deveronvale as strong as possible. We'd have a good chance of managing to progress, hopefully playing at Starks would cause the problems, I'm unsure on pitch sizes but surely either ourselves or Airdrie would look to exploit what I'd imagine to be larger pitches. Throw in the fact that the last thing the club needs is a midweek trip away to a Highland League team in the middle of winter.

Regardless, we've got Falkirk to concern ourselves before we even play Airdrie. So that'll be top priority.

As for cutting our cloth. I was thinking along similar lines this morning. At times I do wonder why we've looked to bring in Simon Mensing when we're still due a loanee from Tynecastle. Maybe the January window will see a change or too. Regardless, I'd be happy to see us cut our cloth and move part time. I've always maintained for the last few seasons it would be far better if a group of teams decided to all go part time at once, therefore making it more competitive rather than continuing to pick up debts while being scare shitless of being isolated.

Just to advertise guys - ParsTV will be broadcasting LIVE the Fife derby next week from Starks Park. This is only available to overseas fans of both Dunfermline and Raith. The initial PPV price is £10 due to not having any set prices as yet (as we don't know what kind of numbers to expect to budget for - it's a kind of "trial run"). If anyone wants more infromation, go on to DAFC.net and go to the thread titled "ParsTV Live v Raith".

Just to advertise guys - ParsTV will be broadcasting LIVE the Fife derby next week from Starks Park. This is only available to overseas fans of both Dunfermline and Raith. The initial PPV price is £10 due to not having any set prices as yet (as we don't know what kind of numbers to expect to budget for - it's a kind of "trial run"). If anyone wants more infromation, go on to DAFC.net and go to the thread titled "ParsTV Live v Raith".

And give our credit card details to some other online company now too??

Do Raith fans pay a £1 surgharge?

;)

:D

Pars board hopeful of 8100 subscribers then? tongue.gif

Edited by Rovers lad

problem with that is the fans would desert the club if we ended up in a situation like stirling etc. we would then have a lost generation of fans potentially meaning the clubs income isnt sufficient to even service the debt. without the safety net of owning starks we would end up going the way of the dodo.

I don't think we'd have to drop as far as Stirling. Even dropping into the second we should (presumably) still be able to knock up a budget that allows us a comfortable mid-table squad (bearing in mind we'd only need to finish 4th to get into the play-offs), with our crowds, while still chipping away at our debts.

Undoubtedly some people wouldn't turn up every week, and crowds would be significantly lower, but I'm not sure we'd see people deserting the club, or losing a generation.

I can't help feeling that there are three routes that the club can take.

1. We do what we've been discussing here, sooner or later, to take the club back to a stable footing.

2. There's fresh investment out of the blue (Hiya Euromillions, hiya pal!) that lets us off the hook.

3. We hit the Dunfermline/Hearts scenario when a payment for tax or wages is missed. The club enters administration at a very minimum, and may well cease to exist.

If 1 or 2 don't happen, 3 certainly will.

I don't think we'd have to drop as far as Stirling. Even dropping into the second we should (presumably) still be able to knock up a budget that allows us a comfortable mid-table squad (bearing in mind we'd only need to finish 4th to get into the play-offs), with our crowds, while still chipping away at our debts.

Undoubtedly some people wouldn't turn up every week, and crowds would be significantly lower, but I'm not sure we'd see people deserting the club, or losing a generation.

I can't help feeling that there are three routes that the club can take.

1. We do what we've been discussing here, sooner or later, to take the club back to a stable footing.

2. There's fresh investment out of the blue (Hiya Euromillions, hiya pal!) that lets us off the hook.

3. We hit the Dunfermline/Hearts scenario when a payment for tax or wages is missed. The club enters administration at a very minimum, and may well cease to exist.

If 1 or 2 don't happen, 3 certainly will.

3 did almost happen last year, we had a payment plan agreed with HMRC, then they just decided they wanted all their cash within 28 days.

HMRC are pissed off with football clubs, and are no longer willing to wait for their dough.

I dont for one second want to belittle the work the guys have done for the whole Hall of Fame thing, but... Iain Davidson?

Really?

Decent enough servant, but Hall of Fame?

It was a vote in the FFP from players that had played in the 2000s - think Campbell, Walker, McGurn and one other were the options.