The New Raith Rovers Thread

Given the choice, I absolutely would start next season with Grant Murray in charge.

I would also, his first full season in charge, he's got us pretty much finishing the league in exactly the same postition that Mcglynn could only manage apart from one freak season...with the only difference being murray has managed to win us a cup against half the old firm, that day will live with everyone that was at the game for years to come.

If Murray managed to keep us up next year in a league that will be extremely tough, give us a couple of cup runs again, and then the following season after having a couple of years under his belt in management, could potentially have us up challenging for the play-offs at least, if not the league..? It's not impossible after seeing the run he had us on at the start of the season..

We'll be doing very, very well to challenge for anything in this league next season next season. Right now I'd take another 7th place because at least we won't go down.

Rangers and Hearts will be playing in this league, and may even be joined by Dunfermline and Ross County/Hibs/Killie/St.Mirren/Partick Thistle. It's going to be a very tight league next season and our 'safety net' of part-time teams won't be here to the same extent to save us if we have another collapse.

I'd also be very happy if Murray wasn't in charge next season. We haven't moved forward at all and our form has been unforgivable in the second half of the season. For me it's the same as punting Greig Spence - yes, all was well at one stage, but you can't just not perform for half a season and expect to be rewarded for it. Unfortunately, Spence leaving costs us nothing, which is more or less why Murray will be in charge next season. The money used to buy up his contract can be spent getting in a couple of players or paying down some debt, which is really fair enough. This doesn't, however, mean that I see Murray as the man to take us forward.

Edited by Michael W

I think given that we'll have two home games against both The Rangers and Hearts, and the near certainty of at least one live TV game next year, we'll be looking at having a squad with three or four extra bodies in it. That could make all the difference in terms of being able to drop those not performing and pushing the ones in the team to maintain a high standard, knowing that their place isn't guaranteed.

Get the likes of Watson, Moon, Elliot and Baird tied up on longer deals now and that can encourage others to sign for us. Grant Murray is still the man to do this. He got a few gems in last summer. More of the same and we'll be looking good.

I don't buy the comparisons with Mcglynn.

This is a much weaker league. With 3 part time teams and a Morton who had to slash their budget. Add to that a financially struggling Livi (who we tempted a player from) who made a horrendous start to the season. To finish where we will is absolutely unbelievable when you look back to the halfway msrk.

I certainly don't see any progress on the park. I see all the negatives of Mcglynns tenure with none of the positives. Where is this famous dressing room spirit? (when the cameras aren't there). Saturday summed up all that was wrong with our season. Laboured, lacklustre, boring.

Murray has a hell of a lot to prove to the fans. Given the choice, i wouldnt have him next season, but he will be.

The club are very, very lucky at who will be in this league next season, as sub 1000 home gates aren't far away from being a regular feature.

One thing is for sure, we will absolutely not be able to afford a repeat of our form in the second half the season next year. That will see us relegated. The board will need to be on top of things.

I don't buy the comparisons with Mcglynn.

This is a much weaker league. With 3 part time teams and a Morton who had to slash their budget. Add to that a financially struggling Livi (who we tempted a player from) who made a horrendous start to the season. To finish where we will is absolutely unbelievable when you look back to the halfway msrk.

Absolutely. This is the weakest league since we were promoted again, and look how we're getting on: looking over our shoulders at the play-off spot with two matches to go!

Awful, simply awful. Three league wins in 2014 FFS.

In all honesty, the more I think on it the more I'm inclined to agree. We need to look to have a clearout in the summer of the players who simply haven't offered us anything during the last few months. We've given plenty of chances to some players and they just can't cut it on a weekly basis. In terms of Murray, you've got the question him from time to time both motivationally and tactically.

I'd see us keep McGurn (alternatively Robinson if McGurn can't continue), Watson, Hill, Cardle, Anderson, Moon, Baird and Elliot for certain. I'd probably add Callachan to that list too as he has come on leaps and bounds in the last year. I'd love to see Booth back but I'd be amazed if he moved on from Hibs on loan again.

I'm not too bothered about Thomson or Donaldson. Thomson has his good days and has chipped in with a few goals this season too. However, he can be inconsistent at times. Donaldson adds good cover but outwith that I'd be reluctant to see him appear regularly.

The other three prominent names are Spence, Smith and Fox. All three haven't been consistent enough this season. Fox comes across as very one dimensional, which doesn't help us in the way we play as it usually ends up in us bypassing midfield and hoofing it long. Spence has relied largely on penalties to get himself to the number of goals he's on at the moment. Smith has flashes of skill at time, but again he's not added enough in terms of goals.

Yes and yes - I have a season ticket, and have every intention of getting another one.

I'd be marginally less inclined to do so if we sacked Murray. But I almost certainly still would anyway.

What Paul Smith adds is a mystery. I am not sure you could count him as a capable coach. What has he achieved? Not a great deal at Berwick. I would have thought he would have been experienced enough to keep Murray right on some of the really crazy decisions that he has made. In particular the team selection against Dumbarton was a low point. Surely an experienced manager should have said somthing like

"Wait a minute, Spence and Smith are not good enough to start in their own favoured position as strikers, So you want to play them out of position in midfield? Are you sure? Why not play midfielders in position Grant"

If we genuinly can't punt Murray then we need someone better around about him because as a Management Team they have been awful in the bread and butter matches.

While I completely agree the team selection against Dumbarton was idiotic, Spence played up front (badly) and Smith played on the wing as he did against Rangers, ad as he has done in both games since - because he's played well.

The embarrassing decision to shoe-horn all available players from the cup final was terrible though. I thought the team sheet was a joke.

I would also, his first full season in charge

His second. The 2nd of July isn't a perfect start time, and we all made allowances last season as a result, but the players were barely back for pre-season and Murray has given every single player in the squad minus Reece Donaldson a contract.

he's got us pretty much finishing the league in exactly the same postition that Mcglynn could only manage apart from one freak season.

In a much weaker league with, as noted, three part-time sides, a financially crippled Livingston and a laughably bad Morton. We managed seventh in our first season up, in a stronger league, having got to the Scottish Cup semis and playing our final seven league games in seventeen days. Here we are struggling for seventh FOUR years later. No wonder crowds are dwindling, we've went nowhere.

If Murray managed to keep us up next year in a league that will be extremely tough, give us a couple of cup runs again, and then the following season after having a couple of years under his belt in management, could potentially have us up challenging for the play-offs at least, if not the league..? It's not impossible after seeing the run he had us on at the start of the season..

Equally relegation with a worse points total than Morton's this season is not impossible given our form since November.

The club are very, very lucky at who will be in this league next season, as sub 1000 home gates aren't far away from being a regular feature.

This is the main point for me. We've managed it twice for league matches, albeit midweek, this season - when was the last time this was the case? The worst part of it was the players deserve to be playing to home crowds like that. If they only show up for the big games it's only fair the fans do too.

I don't want this to read as if Murray is the worst manager ever and I'll be raging if he's still in charge. Far from it. But he's made several terrible mistakes in the last few months and I've seen very little evidence he's even noticed them, let alone tried to rectify them. He needs to be brutal with a few players in the summer - be interesting to see if he has the stones to.

Edited by Paco

Just seen Jamie Hamill's ''Challenge'' on Derek Adams at the weekend there.

The guy really is a top grade Knobber - Cannot wait to give him the abuse he deserves next season at Starks!

Fair do's to the guy. Adams is also a p***k.

Hamill is now in the Paul Lovering 'pantomime bad' league. The game needs more players like him. At least you remember them.

Would be nice seeing him sent off at Starks as well, for old times sakes.

Edited by Scary Bear

This is the main point for me. We've managed it twice for league matches, albeit midweek, this season - when was the last time this was the case? The worst part of it was the players deserve to be playing to home crowds like that. If they only show up for the big games it's only fair the fans do too.

Not sure when. We managed more than 1,000 on the night of the September 11 terrorist attacks for a league cup game against Montrose!

Even in the Heatherston and Anelka seasons, the crowds didnt go much below 1,200.

Edited by CALDERON

Not sure when. We managed more than 1,000 on the night of the September 11 terrorist attacks for a league cup game against Montrose!

Even in the Heatherston and Anelka seasons, the crowds didnt go much below 1,200.

We had a three figure crowd last season for a midweek game with Airdrie.

Personally, I think midweek is more the problem than Murray. The day we get a three figure crowd for a Saturday league game is the day the Board will start worrying.

Edited by Scary Bear

Maybe the fact that there will be so many big games next season will work in our favour. If we are a 'cup' team then matches against Hearts, Rangers and possibly the Pars will feel like such occasions and we'll react accordingly. Roll on the title.

Lay aff the smack hahahaha.

We had a three figure crowd last season for a midweek game with Airdrie.

Personally, I think midweek is more the problem than Murray. The day we get a three figure crowd for a Saturday league game is the day the Board will start worrying.

Was that not a cup game? Weve had a few of those, where the Season TIcket isnt valid.