The New Raith Rovers Thread

Maybe the fact that there will be so many big games next season will work in our favour. If we are a 'cup' team then matches against Hearts, Rangers and possibly the Pars will feel like such occasions and we'll react accordingly. Roll on the title.

I've been feeling a bit gloomy about next season, but it think you might be onto something with this theory... Hopefully anyway!

I'd imagine Murray has a bigger budget this season than McGlynn was ever given. Players like Cardle, Elliot and Moon wont exactly be cheap.

Having a quick comparison, which I'm sure wont exactly be accurate but it's an educated guess:

McGurn will be one of the better paid part-time players in Scotland surely.

I'm sure we'll be paying a good portion of Booth's Hibs wage (possibly a fee as well?) which will have been more than Dyer/Malone.

Ellis, Murray and Hill will be similiar to what we're paying now. Thomson to Wilson probably similiar?

A central midfield of a player of Moons quality and a first division mainstay in Fox will be on more than Walker and Davidson.

Cardle will be on more than Williamson, Anderson on more than McBride.

I doubt Graham (1st Division regular but not a big name goalscorer at this level), Tade (poor player when signed so unlikely on great wages) or Baird (coming from Airdrie with a nothing special record) are on anything near to Elliot (a 'name' player who was prized from Livingston likely with a larger wage), Spence (young but had a great season last year and promised more game time) and Smith.

On top of that he's got a decent batch of youngsters who've had another year to gain experience and brought in Robinson and Mullen (less wages due to time of season but still decent additions) and Baird (coming back via the SPL).

He really should be doing much better with this squad in this league. You can expect tactical naivity and mistakes with a new manager as much as you do with a young player but you would at least expect them to be learning from them and seeing the team improve. This just doesn't appear to be happening.

I'd imagine Murray has a bigger budget this season than McGlynn was ever given. Players like Cardle, Elliot and Moon wont exactly be cheap.

Having a quick comparison, which I'm sure wont exactly be accurate but it's an educated guess:

McGurn will be one of the better paid part-time players in Scotland surely.

I'm sure we'll be paying a good portion of Booth's Hibs wage (possibly a fee as well?) which will have been more than Dyer/Malone.

Ellis, Murray and Hill will be similiar to what we're paying now. Thomson to Wilson probably similiar?

A central midfield of a player of Moons quality and a first division mainstay in Fox will be on more than Walker and Davidson.

Cardle will be on more than Williamson, Anderson on more than McBride.

I doubt Graham (1st Division regular but not a big name goalscorer at this level), Tade (poor player when signed so unlikely on great wages) or Baird (coming from Airdrie with a nothing special record) are on anything near to Elliot (a 'name' player who was prized from Livingston likely with a larger wage), Spence (young but had a great season last year and promised more game time) and Smith.

On top of that he's got a decent batch of youngsters who've had another year to gain experience and brought in Robinson and Mullen (less wages due to time of season but still decent additions) and Baird (coming back via the SPL).

He really should be doing much better with this squad in this league. You can expect tactical naivity and mistakes with a new manager as much as you do with a young player but you would at least expect them to be learning from them and seeing the team improve. This just doesn't appear to be happening.

The player budget has come down from 73% to 58% of income in the last two years, this was quoted at the AGM.

With McGlynn there was always/or usually (perhaps his last season excepted) that he was getting 100% out of every player. In seasons we came 7th we would have been happy with anything aside from relegation and the 2nd place season was not anticipated by anybody. With Murray we've generally not finished where we expected or were anticipated to finish. Aside from that 2nd place season we've finished in virtually the same position every season since we won promotion.

In my opinion we really need to make progress. I think Murray will be here next season, the board won't sack him so I'm not even going to consider that possibility. We need, literally need, to finish in the play off spots next season. We are an established Championship club these days and the constant 7th place finishes and just scraping the area above a relegation battle spot is driving fans away, that much is clear. Anything less than 4th next season and Murray should be out the door, no question, most believed the quality of players we had at the start of the season was more than capable of this and I do firmly believe with a better manager we could have done this.

I'm not looking forward to next season at all. I worry we're going to do a Morton, and I'm not usually a pessimist when it comes to the Rovers. We are in relegation form, there is no two ways about it, if we start the first 10 games of next season and get the results of the last 10 league results of this season we'll be in serious trouble. Therefore something has to give, something is wrong.

I won't remain confident about next season unless there are either more than a couple of positive changes to the playing staff or something changes behind the scenes. Now, I believe Murray is going nowhere so my solution would perhaps be to bring in an 'auld heid' an Archie Knox type figure (obviously not him), perhaps on a part-time basis, but somebody who knows what it takes to win, has been successful and has been round the block more than once somebody to be a bad cop to Murray's good cop, somebody who is tactically aware and can manage players and can advice the manager and the rest of the backroom staff were appropriates. I think inexperience is one of the main things our coaching team lack, Paul Smith has managed but only in the 2nd and 3rd Divisions with Berwick. I don't know how he's viewed by their fans. We all saw the difference when John Hollins came in in this sort of role. I don't think we're as desperate now as we were then but I think it could be a successful venture.

We can't do nothing. There is the issue that this side quite hasn't lived up to it's expectation and the form were ending this season on will see us relegated with certainty next season.

In my opinion we really need to make progress. I think Murray will be here next season, the board won't sack him so I'm not even going to consider that possibility. We need, literally need, to finish in the play off spots next season. We are an established Championship club these days and the constant 7th place finishes and just scraping the area above a relegation battle spot is driving fans away, that much is clear. Anything less than 4th next season and Murray should be out the door, no question, most believed the quality of players we had at the start of the season was more than capable of this and I do firmly believe with a better manager we could have done better.

I would love to have that target for next season for the play-off spots, but if Hamilton win the league this year, no championship side were to win the play-offs, then the four teams to take the top four next year are guaranteed to be Rangers, Hearts, Dundee and Falkirk, I'll guarantee you that.

I would love to have that target for next season for the play-off spots, but if Hamilton win the league this year, no championship side were to win the play-offs, then the four teams to take the top four next year are guaranteed to be Rangers, Hearts, Dundee and Falkirk, I'll guarantee you that.

Nice to see some have settled for another 7th place finish next season too already. I sincerely hope the management and the board don't have your attitude.

Nice to see some have settled for another 7th place finish next season too already. I sincerely hope the management and the board don't have your attitude.

I'm not settling for it, my hopes are that we can get ourselves into that top four next season, as that will be a bigger achievement than finishing second a couple of years ago, with the teams involved.

For us to be in the mix with Rangers and Hearts next season, there is only 2 players I would keep that could probably be part of a team capable of that, and that's Baird and Mcgurn.

And your saying you hope that the board don't have the same attitude..?

During the time that we hadn't won a game in over 100 days, what was Turnbull Huttons exact words? "Don't panic!". It seems that they already have as well..like I said, I hope I'm proved wrong but a team that struggles to stay in the league one season, aren't really gonna challenge for promotion the next under the same manager surely?

Finishing 7th this season is a disappointment but I'll be delighted with that next season.

Me too.

Add my name to the list of people that would also be happy with finishing 7th next season.

This seasons Championship has been devoid of any real quality and we're struggling - we're basically limping over the finishing line. We're really going to have to up our game if we're wanting to compete and survive next season imo.

Means little. I imagine income has went up also.

I can't imagine our income has increased. Our average home gate in 2010-11 was 2718. Since then it's been 1973, 1829, and this season it's currently 1653, so our gate money alone has almost halved since 2011. Obviously the cup runs have boosted us over the last 2 seasons, but you wouldn't budget for that.

I can't imagine our income has increased. Our average home gate in 2010-11 was 2718. Since then it's been 1973, 1829, and this season it's currently 1653, so our gate money alone has almost halved since 2011. Obviously the cup runs have boosted us over the last 2 seasons, but you wouldn't budget for that.

You might not budget for it, but it would increase your income and therefore lower the percentage of wages to income.

This season we must be looking at 200k + from cup runs

Saints game and the final, you sure there was another??

Our total crowds for cup games this season is around 50,000, half of that even at an average of a tenner a head is 250k, believe we received around 90k for Scottish Cup game on sky before any prize money for reaching QF. Again there was prize money for winning Ramsdens cup but not sure how much this year and no idea how much if any we got for being live on telly?

All in all an unexpected windfall of a cup season.

Saints game and the final, you sure there was another??

Our total crowds for cup games this season is around 50,000, half of that even at an average of a tenner a head is 250k, believe we received around 90k for Scottish Cup game on sky before any prize money for reaching QF. Again there was prize money for winning Ramsdens cup but not sure how much this year and no idea how much if any we got for being live on telly?

All in all an unexpected windfall of a cup season.

I thought we were on bbc alba for the semi-final as well..? I could be wrong..I probably am wrong.