The New Raith Rovers Thread

The presence of a director of football acts as an intermediary between the manager and the board and may relieve pressure on a manager by handling aspects away from day-to-day coaching, allowing a manager to focus on on-pitch performance. The director may also help to stabilise the club many examples exist of director stepping in as a caretaker manager on the departure of the manager. The director often an experienced football figure may also positively advise a less experienced manager or the board of a less well developed club.

The board have maybe looked at Wikipedia for answers?

In contrast, there are many examples of tensions arising between director and manager, often due to questions over the remit and powers of the two positions; particularly with regard to control over transfer policy. This had led to many well publicised and often, highly damaging disputes within clubs.

This will probably happen. Again taken from Wikipedia.

I don't think he will have anything to do with the team, I reckon that his appointment falls at the right time when he can assess performances(sic) and offer an opinion on weaknesses (can of worms well and truly opened).

The January window is obviously his first task, which could be bringing in loan players to be cover for the departing McKay and hopefully Perry, although I think we have enough cover in respect of the latter.

If you have followed my line of thought/abuse in the past, McKeown hasn't been the player we expected and has to be replaced.

Lastly, Elliot is just a moaning attention seeker who 'strictly' should apply his talents on playing football as opposed to dropping like a stone when someone breathes on him.

The comment in bold aside and the obvious lack of a goalscorer aside I dont think the squad is really all that bad, it's just the abhorrent lack of tactics and planning thats killing us week in week out.

I don't believe Murrays signings have been the real issue. Some of the guys we have might be no better than average journeymen but in the last 5 seasons we have had some guys that weren't even up to that standard but still performed reasonably on the park.

I'd still say that with decent coaching there's hope for this squad yet (even more so if we can add a goal threat), but if Malpas's remit doesn't cover coaching duties then I think ultimately it will be a fruitless appointment.

Not sure what to make of that appointment. His time as Motherwell manager wasn't good

Very diplomatically put - you're a true gent or lady. I'm not sure Dossers would put quite so discreetly. If you want an accurate assessment of our views ask on our messageboards.

To be honest with Smith going, McKays loan ending (assuming we pay his wage) and Perry hopefully off to, that should free up a few of wages despite having Malpas come in ... With the money we generated last season and will continue to rake it in this season, I personally have no doubt there should still be some sort of budget to grab a few loan deals in Jan ....

I'd be happy grabbing a "goalscorer" so to speak and another LB/FB cover ... Everywhere else I reckon we have enough quality/cover for who we are, when you break it down I actually think we have a reasonably decent mid table team !

Onto tonight, heard it here first, Malpas will step in and name a 4-3-3 all out attack, 5-0 win ... (Xmas "spirits" still strong here) ....

Paul Smith leaves - "This is horrible! We need a replacement ASAP!"

A replacement arrives - "Too many cooks! This money could be better spent elsewhere!"

True enough. We've swapped an Assistant Manager for a Director of Football.

I would have to be honest and say Maurice Malpas isn't the most inspiring of characters. Whenever I notice him being interviewed he appears to be mumbling and he has a surly manner. Maybe that was because the team he was managing -Motherwell - weren't doing well or maybe he's just always like that. I heard him on the radio yesterday and he still seemed a bit torn-faced. Maybe we need a grumpy b*****d DoF to kick some arses, given that our Board are bit too Smashy and Nicey. Anything that even has the possibility of freshening things up is welcome. It seems like we have been treading water for years. I'm almost wishing for a relegation just to mix things up. That's how bad it is.

Edited by Scary Bear

It's a no brainer for the Board....

Scenario 1- sack Murray, bring in new Manager. Pay 2 wages ( Murray's till end of contract and new manager) and only get one working for the club.

Scenario 2- bring in Malpas as DoF. Pay 2 wages and get two guys working for the club.

It's a bit of a master stroke by the Board and should be congratulated!

Well done

It's a no brainer for the Board....

Scenario 1- sack Murray, bring in new Manager. Pay 2 wages ( Murray's till end of contract and new manager) and only get one working for the club.

Scenario 2- bring in Malpas as DoF. Pay 2 wages and get two guys working for the club.

It's a bit of a master stroke by the Board and should be congratulated!

Well done

You've got a lot to learn if you think that constitutes a master stroke.

First and foremost, an Assistant Manager and DoF don't perform the same role. An Assistant Manager is beside the manager while the game is taking place and can offer a second pair of eyes etc which a DoF won't do. In that respect, it's a shame we've chose to go down the route we have. I do continue to believe that Murray should've been removed of his duties.

Whether or not this will help turn things around remains to be seen. However, if we fail to win today it'll be 1 win in our last 12 (a third of a season).

Mid-point of the season, then, played everyone twice.

I don't think anyone would argue that the report card will say must do better.

But our record against our direct competitors, that is all the teams outside of the big three, reads P12 W6 D2 L4. Not spectacular but not too bad. Enough to keep our heads above water anyway.

We have won 2 in our last 12 (a third of the season). That simply isn't acceptable. The usual story - strong start, followed by big slump. Predictable and irritating. Today is, in my opinion, the best result we've had all season.

It isn't good enough, and it hasn't been good enough the past three seasons. What matters is that some sort of progress is made in the second half of the season rather than a continuing slump of form. If we can do that and mount something of a challenge for the promotion play-offs, I'll be content. I don't actually care if we don't make them, as long as we make a good fist of it and run someone close rather than spend our last few weeks looking at 9th place with some trepidation.

I've done a wee bit of arithmetic to compare our goalkeepers. The stats I'm using are pretty much entirely from the PA, so I can't vouch 100% for their accuracy, but it's still interesting to see what they show.

Kevin Cuthbert's played 6 matches, Laidlaw played 7 and McGurn's played 10. Tonight was Davie's first clean sheet in the league, he's also managed shut-outs in both Scottish Cup games. Laidlaw very impressively kept back to back clean sheets in the first round of games against Livi and Falkirk. Kevin Cuthbert has conceded at least one goal in every game he's played for us so far.

In terms of pure win percentages, Cuthbert comes out on top with 50% (if you count AET as a win), Laidlaw is at 42% and McGurn comes in last at 40%. However, when you start looking at individual statistics, it's a different story. Davie McGurn concedes a goal every 66.5 minutes, well ahead of Cuthbert who's at every 49.33, slightly in front of Laidlaw's 41 minutes per goal.

Despite not managing a clean sheet, Kevin Cuthbert has saved 68% of the shots he's faced, a better figure than Laidlaw's 66%. Both of them, however, can't get a glove to Davie McGurn's 74.6%.

Looking at those figures, I think it's fair to say that Dave McGurn is our best keeper, something I feel we all knew, but it's nice to see how it pans out in black and white. I'm interested to see how he stacks up against some of the other keepers in the league. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try running something together.

I've done a wee bit of arithmetic to compare our goalkeepers. The stats I'm using are pretty much entirely from the PA, so I can't vouch 100% for their accuracy, but it's still interesting to see what they show.

Kevin Cuthbert's played 6 matches, Laidlaw played 7 and McGurn's played 10. Tonight was Davie's first clean sheet in the league, he's also managed shut-outs in both Scottish Cup games. Laidlaw very impressively kept back to back clean sheets in the first round of games against Livi and Falkirk. Kevin Cuthbert has conceded at least one goal in every game he's played for us so far.

In terms of pure win percentages, Cuthbert comes out on top with 50% (if you count AET as a win), Laidlaw is at 42% and McGurn comes in last at 40%. However, when you start looking at individual statistics, it's a different story. Davie McGurn concedes a goal every 66.5 minutes, well ahead of Cuthbert who's at every 49.33, slightly in front of Laidlaw's 41 minutes per goal.

Despite not managing a clean sheet, Kevin Cuthbert has saved 68% of the shots he's faced, a better figure than Laidlaw's 66%. Both of them, however, can't get a glove to Davie McGurn's 74.6%.

Looking at those figures, I think it's fair to say that Dave McGurn is our best keeper, something I feel we all knew, but it's nice to see how it pans out in black and white. I'm interested to see how he stacks up against some of the other keepers in the league. If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try running something together.

1316713879_castle_reaction.gif

Cuthbert was a strange signing. It's not easy offloading players in January but I'd be looking to move on either Cuthbert or Laidlaw next month if possible.