The New Raith Rovers Thread

Would love to see Moon back in for Fox (who is brutal imo), Conroy back in simply because it's a no brainer and Vaughan in for Stewart on Saturday.

I can't see us getting 4th, a bit much to ask for now but that's no excuse to lay down, get the W and get the confidence back up again on Saturday, and then home the next 3/4 games after that, none of them easy games but if we nick something from the Hearts & Hibs games, a win against Alloa and QoS (rescheduled game), then we may have a really strong say in where teams finish in the league, and in the process maybe finishing 5th - fingers crossed anyway!

COYR!!

I'll do the honours:

WHOOOOOSH.

Edit: To answer your original question, I'm sure it's Michael W that lives down that way.

I PM'd him, it was not him.

As I checked out of the hotel on Saturday morning the fine looking lass at reception said that a Rovers supporter from Reading had just checked out, turns out there are two of them.

From Reading that is.

Rovers supporters just for clarity.

Not that I was staring at her cleavage, no sir, not at all.

At present Id say we are exactly where we should be. Two wins against Queens though and this could change!

For me the interesting thing is how steady our decline is after 96, if your drawing a trendline through it. Basically, while Claude Anelka and his men may have been a spectacularly newsworthy fiasco, it was not the precipitation of a decline, but rather a watershed moment where we ended changing how the club was run. Before that is a fairly steady decline in fortune, regardless of who was managing or playing for us relative to the clubs around us.

Edited by renton

The mid-nineties to when McGlynn came in was rough.

Shows that Murray has us steady, nothing more, nothing less.

Next season is the real test of Murray for me. With Hearts and possibly one of HIbs/Rangers out of the league and two seasons learning under his belt it's probably time to put in some sort of sustained challenge for a play off. Take us backwards or tread water and it is probably time to try somebody different.

To be fair the Nicholl years skews this picture a lot as that period was fairly unusual. Would like to see this graph from the 60s/70s onwards. Suspect it would be less bumpy and show us as a fairly consistent First Division/Championship team with the odd period in the top league and more frequent spells in the third tier.

To be fair the Nicholl years skews this picture a lot as that period was fairly unusual. Would like to see this graph from the 60s/70s onwards. Suspect it would be less bumpy and show us as a fairly consistent First Division/Championship team with the odd period in the top league and more frequent spells in the third tier.

I don't get that long for lunch :(

I do agree though, it's amazing how far backwards the club went in that decade from 96 to 06 though, isn't it. Regardless of management or players (and we had a some good squads at times) we just seemed to slide back relative to other clubs in that time. Just goes ot show what a competent business model can do for a club.

Edited by renton

I do agree though, it's amazing how far backwards the club went in that decade from 96 to 06 though, isn't it. Regardless of management or players (and we had a some good squads at times) we just seemed to slide back relative to other clubs in that time. Just goes ot show what a competent business model can do for a club.

That's your task for tomorrow lunchtime! Hadn't realised that you'd put it together yourself. Good work. It was a grim, grim period. I always thought that post Nicholl we would go backwards but never suspected that the decline would be so brutal. Suspect we lost a lot of fans for life during that period.

It would be interesting to see the managerial periods on there. I've this theory that we do better when we have stable management and are not chopping and changing. That might be skewed by having a few good managers in Connor, Nicholl and McGlynn though. And I suppose the counter argument is that if you change you might end up with a cracking manager

That's your task for tomorrow lunchtime! Hadn't realised that you'd put it together yourself. Good work. It was a grim, grim period. I always thought that post Nicholl we would go backwards but never suspected that the decline would be so brutal. Suspect we lost a lot of fans for life during that period.

It would be interesting to see the managerial periods on there. I've this theory that we do better when we have stable management and are not chopping and changing. That might be skewed by having a few good managers in Connor, Nicholl and McGlynn though. And I suppose the counter argument is that if you change you might end up with a cracking manager

What I might do is add other first division clubs, It'd be interesting to see how the effects of the SPL formation, lack of play off spots and TV money has on other clubs who were 'chasing the dream'......

Chasing the dream is what worried me about the recent open meeting. Sim said he'd expect Rovers to be in the top tier 5 years out of twenty. In my lifetime we've been in the top flight 3 years out of 40 so not sure how we are going to achieve 5/20 without significant investment. If it's based on growing year on year and living within our means grat, but if that's from speculating to accumulate like we did in the post Nicholl era then I'm out. No desire to be back filling emergency buckets to save our club

Chasing the dream is what worried me about the recent open meeting. Sim said he'd expect Rovers to be in the top tier 5 years out of twenty. In my lifetime we've been in the top flight 3 years out of 40 so not sure how we are going to achieve 5/20 without significant investment. If it's based on growing year on year and living within our means grat, but if that's from speculating to accumulate like we did in the post Nicholl era then I'm out. No desire to be back filling emergency buckets to save our club

I always ponder if we have these ambitions why don't we try do it the proper way, the Hamilton way, lets really focus on youth and not bother signing these has been's ....

Surely someone back there has to decide there has to come a time we push to really invest in our youth and move on from these Liam Fox's / Callum Elliots / Ross Perrys (thankfully we have) of this world ... Its taken almost half a season to give Callachan a lengthy run and its come up trumps, now it should surely be time for Vaughan to be giving a chance ? Especially like said above, the season is basically over if the next few games go against us ...

Obviously this isn't a magic formula and we won't be Hamilton over night and is also 100% definitely a lot harder than it sounds, however if it works for one it can work for everyone to an extent ... Ronny Deiia said it best about Celtic and it sticks to every club in Scotland ... "We can't attract big players, so we have to make them" ...

Wasn't the point of this whole "Fife" merger to be to bring the best Youth through ? Hows this gone, any updates !? I know it hasn't been long so it needs more time to be giving a chance, but i hope there's more to it than re-branding it into "Fife's Youth".

Lets face it, could given a couple of lads a season a shot in the first team when they are deemed "ready" be any worse than watching Fox look lost in the middle of the pitch, Elliot not score in over 15 Month or Perry having a pick-nick as his man walks by him weekly ...

Edited by ADMO

For extra anorak points I went and added the fortunes of Morton, Airdrie and Ayr - all teams who in the 90s would be classed as reasonably sized clubs alongside us and who all had pretentions of chasing the premier league around the same time.

There is a very similar trend of decline in all of them from that mid 90s through the 00s, with Morton recovering first (but with a more spectacular fall)

note I've just carried Airdrie forward from Airdrieonians through Airdrie United to the current incarnation.

post-5787-0-63079100-1426184838_thumb.jp

Chasing the dream is what worried me about the recent open meeting. Sim said he'd expect Rovers to be in the top tier 5 years out of twenty. In my lifetime we've been in the top flight 3 years out of 40 so not sure how we are going to achieve 5/20 without significant investment. If it's based on growing year on year and living within our means grat, but if that's from speculating to accumulate like we did in the post Nicholl era then I'm out.

hes very much a speculator,risk taker,if he had his way the railway stand for instance would have been revamped,re opened in 2010

'96 was where it all started to go wrong, we got relegated with an overpaid but very very average team in PL terms. We then made the mistake of thinking we were a big club and chasing the dream of going straight back up the next season by throwing money at over the hill has beens such as Keith Wright and Guido van de Kamp, chancers like Kevin Twaddle and Scott Thomson (midfielder/striker, not goalie) as well as spending big on young guys like Craig McEwan and Paul Browne who was signed the year before.

Put out all that money for very little return on the pitch and you have a club in a bad way with a negative vibe about it and a lot of guys playing for us who really didn't give a shit other than about their big pay packets. After that the malaise is very difficult to shift and culminated as was said with the Anelka debacle.Thankfully we now have people in charge who run the club properly and don't confuse ambition with throwing money at things we can't afford. Mid to top of Div 1 is our natural level, anything above is a bonus IMO.

Edited by bobbykdy