The New Raith Rovers Thread

Graham is out of contract, and won't get a new deal with United. He might be offered something with us, but Chris Kane has already jumped ahead of him in our pecking order, meaning he's third choice, and our manager talked about going after attacking players this Summer. So its highly likely we won't offer him anything.

Callachan looks decent as an attacking midfield threat to be honest, it's actually finding someone decent to pair him with who can sit but is still mobile that's the issue. Callachan is keeping Moon out of the team, but i'd keep the latter - Scott can't play the sitting role consistently without being posted missing and Fox who does know how to play that role in the team has no pace or mobility left.

Could there be someone in the youth team who fits the bill? If not, any suggestions? I see some guy from Alloa being mentioned. Frankly I haven't noticed anyone. Hopefully we have been scouting the divisions below us for prospects.

Callachan is the only one of the four centre-mids guaranteed to be kept, though I'd also keep Moon despite his indifferent season. It's the main area that needs addressing, I think. Reasonably happy with defensive and wide options, and obviously delighted with the goalkeeper.

From the Alloa thread:

For the most part, I'd say we've beaten the teams you'd expect us to beat, and lost the games you'd expect us to struggle with.

We've now played everyone three times, and you can split the rest of the league up into groups: the big teams, the other full-timers who should be our direct competitors, and the part-timers.

Big three: P9 W0 D2 L7 - to be expected I suppose, but I'll be a bit disappointed if we end up having played twelve games and won none of them, even if we did win the cup game.

Other full-time (Queens, Falkirk, Livi): P9 W3 D2 L4 - more or less average. Dunno how our budgets compare, I think Falkirk's at least is bigger. Queens are having a good season, balanced out by Livingston going to shit.

Part-timers: P9 W6 D2 L1 - can't have any complaints here I don't think.

It so happens that the worst two results, home to Livi and away at Dumbarton, came back-to-back. Livi was just an all-round disaster but at Dumbarton I thought we were just plain unlucky.

So yeah, in summary we've performed across the season roughly to par but no better. The positives are that at least we've had the edge on the teams we should, and need to, and that we've improved in the third quarter of the season. We'll see in the fourth quarter whether that's a blip or represents a genuine improvement - for all that we've nothing much to play for in material terms, I think that's nonetheless quite important as far as planning for next season is concerned.

What I ask is, am I enjoying the football, no I definitely am not and haven't for a long time, with the odd exception, under this manager.

I don't mnd the style of football - we are less direct, less back to front under Murray than we ever were under McGlynn, I feel. Our attacking play is generally decent, what's been horrendous to watch has been our defence for a season and a half.....

What I ask is, am I enjoying the football, no I definitely am not and haven't for a long time, with the odd exception, under this manager.

First half of last season was pretty good in terms of style of play, before it all went pear-shaped. Apart from that, I agree.

Could there be someone in the youth team who fits the bill? If not, any suggestions? I see some guy from Alloa being mentioned. Frankly I haven't noticed anyone. Hopefully we have been scouting the divisions below us for prospects.

Much as it pains me to say it I think the youth team is a waste of time and money. Who has come through in the last 10 years? Callaghan and Vaughan aren't really established and I can't think of anyone else.

If it was solely about enjoying the football i'd have stopped going to the Rovers years ago!

Clearly just going for a pie and bovril :P

Really shows the difference in sport as an entertainment that people go regardless of the standard on offer, if your favorite actor/director made a terrible movie you wouldn't go and watch it yet we football fans plod along every week out of loyalty then moan at the players for 90 minutes. We truly are a bunch of habitual mugs :lol:

Clearly just going for a pie and bovril :P

Really shows the difference in sport as an entertainment that people go regardless of the standard on offer, if your favorite actor/director made a terrible movie you wouldn't go and watch it yet we football fans plod along every week out of loyalty then moan at the players for 90 minutes. We truly are a bunch of habitual mugs :lol:

Football is unique compared to other things that are branded as entertainment. This comes as a bonus half the time. When was the last time we actually gave a team a good doing, 5,6 nil?