The New Raith Rovers Thread

Including the League and Challenge Cup games is a nice little extra. Of course that almost guarantees that we will get away ties in those competitions next season!

This interests me as well & also the possibility of discounted entry to selected away matches (you would hope one of them would be Easter Road if Hibs don't get promoted given their £22 entry).

I think we have a wider problem, and one which does to some extent implicate Cuthbert: our defence struggle to play without McGurn. I'll admit I haven't looked at the past results to make this judgement, but I'd be surprised if the evidence proves otherwise. There are far too many 3s and 4s conceded when Laidlaw or Cuthbert play, so why is this the case? As much as we can't blame the keepers directly, blaming Ross Perry in isolation - as rotten as he was - is not going to cover it either. There must be some combination of factors at play.

I'm also not convinced Craig Barr is the messiah some think he is, and I'm concerned our ability at defending set pieces has declined since Hill was dropped for him.

I'm also not convinced Craig Barr is the messiah some think he is, and I'm concerned our ability at defending set pieces has declined since Hill was dropped for him.

Exactly this. I'm not convinced that Barr and Watson as a centre back pairing next season will be the golden ticket some think.

I'd have to add, I'd say Thomson probably gets quite an easy ride at times from the support compared to McKeown. With that said, both are more than qualified to play against most of the teams in this division.

Totally agree, fans have a blind spot with Thomson.

They fail to win headers at corners or mark up, or is that the keepers fault too ?

Which is not just the job of the back four, typically there are at least 9 Rovers outfield players in at corners - even in outfield situations it's not always the back four who are losing markers around the back post and six yard line.

I think we have a wider problem, and one which does to some extent implicate Cuthbert: our defence struggle to play without McGurn. I'll admit I haven't looked at the past results to make this judgement, but I'd be surprised if the evidence proves otherwise. There are far too many 3s and 4s conceded when Laidlaw or Cuthbert play, so why is this the case? As much as we can't blame the keepers directly, blaming Ross Perry in isolation - as rotten as he was - is not going to cover it either. There must be some combination of factors at play.

Discussed this with others before, I really do think McGurn brings so much confidence into that back line its insane ... Now I'm not for 1 minute saying that its acceptable for the back line to have lackluster games at times as their paid pros and should do their job no matter who's in the sticks, but it almost seems when McGurn is in goal, the back line seem more relaxed, confident and better all round ... Strange one though !

Which is not just the job of the back four, typically there are at least 9 Rovers outfield players in at corners - even in outfield situations it's not always the back four who are losing markers around the back post and six yard line.

So even less responsibility of the keeper then ?

Why haven't hill and Barr played together

Rovers: Cuthbert Thomson Watson Hill Barr McKeown Scott Callachan Conroy Vaughan Stewart

Subs: Anderson Moon Elliot McKay Nade Matthews McGurn

Cowdenbeath: Thomson O'Brien Armstrong Wedderburn Robertson Nish Higgins Brownlie Oyenuga Marshall To sheet

Subs: Adamson Kane Buchanan Miller Johnston Hughes Sneddon

So even less responsibility of the keeper then ?

If you like, I wasn't blaming the keeper solely for everything going on anyway. On Saturday however, both goals were soft, primarily from Cuthbert who seemed to let them dribble over his outstretched leg when it seemed easier to get his body down in front of the ball. Shite goal keeping, pure and simple.

I'd have to add, I'd say Thomson probably gets quite an easy ride at times from the support compared to McKeown. With that said, both are more than qualified to play against most of the teams in this division.

Totally agree. I think if you look at the games closely Thomson has probably made as many, if not more mistakes as McKeown but seems immune to criticism. I actually wouldn't be too upset if Thomson was let go but I doubt that'll happen.

As for the season tickets I'm sure the early bird offer last season was £10 more and with this including league and challenge cup matches I'd hope it'd cover maybe 20 matches making it potentially at most £11 a match. All in all an excellent deal from the club.

If you like, I wasn't blaming the keeper solely for everything going on anyway. On Saturday however, both goals were soft, primarily from Cuthbert who seemed to let them dribble over his outstretched leg when it seemed easier to get his body down in front of the ball. Shite goal keeping, pure and simple.

The 2nd goal in particular isn't even a clean hit and it just looks like lazy goalkeeping from Cuthbert.

He's certainly not a bad keeper as he's shown with other clubs in the past but it's going to have to be someone fairly special to replacing McGurn, not only from an ability point of view but he's probably the only player in the squad who has the full support of each and every fan. I think it's clear that without McGurn we'd have come far far closer to relegation in the past 5 years than we did.

Why haven't hill and Barr played together

Assuming you mean as CB partners in a back 4, it's probably because both play in the same position (LCB). One of them would have to shift over and may not be as comfortable. This is especially true of left footers who have to shift across.

Discussed this with others before, I really do think McGurn brings so much confidence into that back line its insane ... Now I'm not for 1 minute saying that its acceptable for the back line to have lackluster games at times as their paid pros and should do their job no matter who's in the sticks, but it almost seems when McGurn is in goal, the back line seem more relaxed, confident and better all round ... Strange one though !

I do wonder about that. Being in the stand you will miss some things on the field, so maybe it's something so simple as communication?

Thomson is a consistent player without ever really excelling. If we can get someone in who is better I would have no problem with him leaving. If we can't get someone better in I also have no problem with him staying. I have it from a good source Davo was on the phone to starks in January about a move back and Murray didn't even phone him back so can't see him being back anytime soon.

Including the League and Challenge Cup games is a nice little extra. Of course that almost guarantees that we will get away ties in those competitions next season!

Even if we do get away ties it's still a good deal. The walk-up price is going up to £18. If you attend all 18 league games that's £324. So, £220 is good in comparison. If you'll attend 12-13 home games then it's the way to go.