The New Raith Rovers Thread

Tough start with so called big four getting played away in first four away games, Crap festive games with no decent crowds (Alloa at home), first rangers game probably changed due to international weekend, apart from all that no bad tho! Lol

Yeah we'd be able to do nothing... Apart from threaten or take legal action.

It's not exactly going to sway a player who isn't going to be there next season, is it? All ot does is punt him sooner.

If there is no contractual right to medical insurance, that is the end of it. Whether you agree or not, the players know this when they sign and can always get their own insurance.

Not good for an injured player, but hardly an outrage. The whole thing about a duty of care is interesting - why would that have to amount to private medical treatment? He will get his operation, he will just have to wait.

The first 5 home games gives us a really good chance of building some sort of defent home form, all winable games.! Or games id like to think we can take care of.

Yeh best fixture for me is hibs away at new year, i have mates who are hibees and mates who are jambos who will probably join us for a day sesh.

Perhaps this sounds a tad harsh (unintentionally) but I really don't think anybody should feel sorry for Elliot. Don't get me wrong, I wish him a speedy recovery and all the best in his future playing career wherever that may be, but lets face facts: If he himself stated (in the STV Interview) that he didn't have medical cover with his contract, therefor (like 99% of people would do) he could have easily used his own head and took private cover, its that simple really !

Besides, it's not like he couldn't afford it, he sat injured for almost 2 seasons picking up a pay every week ... Lets also not forget the fact the PFA aren't interested in this, to me that says it all really ...

Fixture wise It's been pretty kind ... 9 points definitely a possibility in the opening 3 games to help build a bit of consistency going into the Hibs/Rangers matches ... Excellent start if we can even grab 10 points in the opening 5 ... Very excited for this season :)

Edited by ADMO

Perhaps this sounds a tad harsh (unintentionally) but I really don't think anybody should feel sorry for Elliot. Don't get me wrong, I wish him a speedy recovery and all the best in his future playing career wherever that may be, but lets face facts: If he himself stated (in the STV Interview) that he didn't have medical cover with his contract, therefor (like 99% of people would do) he could have easily used his own head and took private cover, its that simple really !

It's really not. He would have been just about cheaper paying for the operation. If you are labouring under the delusion that a standard BUPA £50 per month thing would cover footballers against football injury think again.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

They'll still beat us, it doesn't matter how shit they get season after season. They always seem to beat us. Hopefully McKinnon ends this trend.

It's really not. He would have been just about cheaper paying for the operation. If you are labouring under the delusion that a standard BUPA £50 per month thing would cover footballers against football injury think again.

What's your take on this situation, SD?

Elliot didn't kick a ball in 2012 after a bad injury at Dundee in December 2011. His next game was not until February 2013 when he played for Alloa. That being the case it may have been that Rovers offered him a chance to get back into full time football but the deal might have been that they would not be responsible if he broke down again. I'm not saying it excuses Rovers but those might have been the terms under which he signed.

Wrong after injury with Dundee he went to Lithuania to play !!!

Not once have I said that was my outlook on it ... However if your a footballer and you know you aren't covered for certain health/injury circumstances then it would make sense to ensure you are covered surely ?

Obviously this may be expensive and to be honest I would probably assume a lot of players won't pay privately, however if you have a bad history with injuries (this is the 2nd time hes injured this same knee I believe) then I think you owe it to yourself to be a tad more cautious and get yourself in a situation you know you will be fine if it happens again ... Simply my opinion that's all !

Not once have I said that was my outlook on it ... However if your a footballer and you know you aren't covered for certain health/injury circumstances then it would make sense to ensure you are covered surely ?

Obviously this may be expensive and to be honest I would probably assume a lot of players won't pay privately, however if you have a bad history with injuries (this is the 2nd time hes injured this same knee I believe) then I think you owe it to yourself to be a tad more cautious and get yourself in a situation you know you will be fine if it happens again ... Simply my opinion that's all !

I've no idea what your outlook on it is, nor have I suggested what it is. What I said was you appear to be deluding yourself that this is insurable on any sort of economically viable basis. In fact if you are a footballer with a previous knee injury you almost certainly won't get cover at all and if you can get it it would probably be cheaper just to pay for the operation directly than pay for the insurance. Costs would run into thousands per player per annum.

Putting aside the complexities and legalities of this situation, I find it pretty disheartening that Rovers fans can say they have little or no sympathy for a player receiving a career damaging injury whilst playing for us. Even if he wasn't a fan favourite, that's a fairly c*nty stance to take. Each to their own though.

Additionally, a large amount of Rovers fans were foaming at the mouth about players workrate levels dropping off after we had nothing to play for at the end of last season.

If the consequences of picking up an injury, like in Elliot's case, is that you're then waiting months and months on the NHS to fix you up, potentially ruling you out of earning a living for the best part of a year, then I'd suggest it's only natural that players don't give it 100% in meaningless fixtures.

Putting aside the complexities and legalities of this situation, I find it pretty disheartening that Rovers fans can say they have little or no sympathy for a player receiving a career damaging injury whilst playing for us. Even if he wasn't a fan favourite, that's a fairly c*nty stance to take. Each to their own though.

Additionally, a large amount of Rovers fans were foaming at the mouth about players workrate levels dropping off after we had nothing to play for at the end of last season.

If the consequences of picking up an injury, like in Elliot's case, is that you're then waiting months and months on the NHS to fix you up, potentially ruling you out of earning a living for the best part of a year, then I'd suggest it's only natural that players don't give it 100% in meaningless fixtures.

Very good post, spoke to him today and the "nhs" op he is getting is happening on Monday. He's happy with that as quicker he gets op quicker he can try get back playing and earning a wage !!

Very good post, spoke to him today and the "nhs" op he is getting is happening on Monday. He's happy with that as quicker he gets op quicker he can try get back playing and earning a wage !!

Ch-Ching! Next stop East Fife. Toot toot.