The New Raith Rovers Thread

The McGurn issue was symptomatic of Murrays tenure. I am sure the DoF could see players under performing and not being dropped or coached better. Picking the wrong players and generally not seeing the obvious.

However if you have read the articles, interviews, statements in recent days I think you can gauge a lot. The attributes saught in the new manager could well be the ones that the Board realised were missing from Murray.

I agree with Graeme. The Witch Trial was a key element in Murray's demise, but not the sole reason. Dodgy team selections, inept tactics (with a few rare exceptions), woeful use of substitutes, little rapport with the fans etc, repeat to fade.

Ding Dong, the Witch is back!

McGurn is unquestioningly the best in a generation.

Lets not get too carried away though, the mans is great but he's no god and he does have a failing or two.

I worry that the hyperbole emanating from us will bite us in the arse.

Don't get me wrong though I'm elated that he's signed on for another 2 years.

Ok I'm recognising Raith had more part time players who obviously had to train at night and now Raith only have two. Hill and McGurn. For me Raith reducing the p/timers to be fully a full time team was absolutely the right direction to go and unfortunately that may mean making an unpopular decision.

I'm sure McGurn is a top keeper but players come and go. It is more important Raith go in the right direction even if it means looking for another good goalie. How do you know Murray didn't have a better one coming in? Take no offence but this is not a part time club or junior club. The goalie must must train daily with the full time squad. Sorry but I can't believe a professional manager will not insist on this whoever takes over.

I've got to agree with Muzza81 if the main reason or excuse to get of Murray was because he wouldn't sign McGurn I find incredible and also as said a very dangerous precedent. Murray will have gone up even higher in my estimation if he stood his ground and took the sack instead of bowing to interference from whoever!

Grant Murray is that you?

McGurn is unquestioningly the best in a generation.

Lets not get too carried away though, the mans is great but he's no god and he does have a failing or two.

I worry that the hyperbole emanating from us will bite us in the arse.

Don't get me wrong though I'm elated that he's signed on for another 2 years.

McGurn was at fault for the Hearts goal at Tynecastle in November but other than that I can't recall any other big mistakes.

He clearly commands his box better than Laidlaw and Cuthbert, he is a better shot stopper and has the confidence of the fans. When Laidlaw was playing I felt there was always an expectation that he'd make a mistake and the same has been felt in the past month for Cuthbert. With McGurn there isn't that feeling.

All keepers make mistakes and no doubt Davie will not have the absolute perfect season next year but I feel far more happier having him between the sticks.

Ultimately I hope that if Cuthbert does leave he does well at his next club. He took a gamble coming to us from Hamilton and was very unfortunate to get injured. Laidlaw seems to have found his level and I would expect him to either leave this summer or go back on loan again next season.

I'd love him back but he's had a decent season at St Johnstone and wouldn't be surprised if he went there permanently now.

That said, everything the fans have asked for this week we've got and they do say it comes in 3's so...

I believe St Johnstone have actually offered him a deal. Tommy Wright seems to like him too. Plus they have the chance of European football next season. I think we can knock that one on the head, unfortunately.

Davie's save against East Fife for me. The best save I have ever seen, I know it was offside but he didn't know that and to get the ball away from the striker was still one of the most (How the f**k did he do that?!?!?) moments I've ever had at the football.

Probably the best save I've ever seen too. Though his triple save against Ayr is by far my favourite McGurn moment.

How do you know Murray didn't have a better one coming in?

The Rovers can't afford Iker Casillas.

Even entertaining the ludicrous thought of Casillas coming to the Rovers, I'm not sure I'd put him in before Dave 'Wondersave' McGurn.

The McGurn issue was symptomatic of Murrays tenure. I am sure the DoF could see players under performing and not being dropped or coached better. Picking the wrong players and generally not seeing the obvious.

However if you have read the articles, interviews, statements in recent days I think you can gauge a lot. The attributes saught in the new manager could well be the ones that the Board realised were missing from Murray.

Yes the board may be lookingi for the attributes that Murray appeared to have missing. However Malpas! This is the coach who played an active part making numerous mistakes at Hibs. Not only took Hibs from a top 6 possibility to relegation. Also his man management skills were non existent. Just ask the Hibs players! Please tell me his judgement wasn't involved in getting Murray the sack!