The New Raith Rovers Thread

Kirkwood has done f**k all. Managed a team to HL success with a huge budget, woopy doo.

This appointment would be solely based on nostalgia and not on what we need. I liked Davie when he played for us but he's only managed 2 teams in the Highland League and 1 has had a massive budget compared to the rest.

He's probably got a very settled life up there and from what he' saying won't be applying so hopefully that's an end to it.

Btw, I have it on fairly good authority that McGurngate was indeed a key element in Murray's dismissal.

Wouldn't surprise me. The more I think about it the more angry I get thinking if Murray had remained as the gaffer that McGurn wouldn't have been offered another deal.

Here I go again on my own. Murray wasn't wrong to not want McGurn, that was his opinion and you can see the logic behind it. There's numerous arguments to support Murray. You can't get angry at him for wanting a keeper that trains with the squad.

McGurn is a very good keeper but he didn't fit into Murray's plans. What Raith have done is said that their keeper is bigger than their manager - fair enough but it's a dangerous precedent.

Jings - looking at the photo of Kirkwood in that article, has he eaten all the opposition up there?

Btw, I have it on fairly good authority that McGurngate was indeed a key element in Murray's dismissal.

There's surely no coincidence that from Saturday to Wednesday he goes from no discussions to signing a longer term deal. We rarely give out 2 year deals so to make it a potential 3 year one says it all.

Here I go again on my own. Murray wasn't wrong to not want McGurn, that was his opinion and you can see the logic behind it. There's numerous arguments to support Murray. You can't get angry at him for wanting a keeper that trains with the squad.

McGurn is a very good keeper but he didn't fit into Murray's plans. What Raith have done is said that their keeper is bigger than their manager - fair enough but it's a dangerous precedent.

Yep, you certainly are on your own. The keeper that didn't train with the squad who is arguably our best current player and one of our best ever? Seems to have been working just a treat.

Yep, you certainly are on your own. The keeper that didn't train with the squad who is arguably our best current player and one of our best ever? Seems to have been working just a treat.

It's all he can do not to drown in a bowl of soup, the fact that he has access to the internet is frightening.

Exactly.

While the logic makes perfect sense on paper, if Dave is consistently performing better, and organising / inspiring his colleagues better, than his f/t counterparts then logical / paper arguments go out the window!

Do you know lots of players too then?

It's not that difficult a concept to understand, we used to have a lot more than two part timers in our squad.

Jings - looking at the photo of Kirkwood in that article, has he eaten all the opposition up there?

Exactly.

While the logic makes perfect sense on paper, if Dave is consistently performing better, and organising / inspiring his colleagues better, than his f/t counterparts then logical / paper arguments go out the window!

Ok I'm recognising Raith had more part time players who obviously had to train at night and now Raith only have two. Hill and McGurn. For me Raith reducing the p/timers to be fully a full time team was absolutely the right direction to go and unfortunately that may mean making an unpopular decision.

I'm sure McGurn is a top keeper but players come and go. It is more important Raith go in the right direction even if it means looking for another good goalie. How do you know Murray didn't have a better one coming in? Take no offence but this is not a part time club or junior club. The goalie must must train daily with the full time squad. Sorry but I can't believe a professional manager will not insist on this whoever takes over.

I've got to agree with Muzza81 if the main reason or excuse to get of Murray was because he wouldn't sign McGurn I find incredible and also as said a very dangerous precedent. Murray will have gone up even higher in my estimation if he stood his ground and took the sack instead of bowing to interference from whoever!

Lets break it down this way so fans from other clubs can actually understand as opposed to spouting rubbish ...

Yes its good the team wanted to continue to move towards a FT Club, however when your GK is your best player, possibly the best you have had in decades, and could arguably be up there with the better keepers in Scotland at the minute, you have to take that into consideration ...

This season when we have played 2 other GK's outside McGurn, they have been Cuthbert & Laidlaw ... Cuthbert, who btw was obviously Hamiltons league winning keeper, i think some expected a lot from, however he has started 8 and conceded 25 meaning on average 3.2 Goals a game (13 in his last 4), which is appalling. As for Laidlaw hes started 7 and conceded 16, which equals out to 2.2 Goals per game, which again is pretty horrid. Mcgurn has started 23 and conceded 27, so about 1.1 goal per game ... Now 5 of these where Vs Livi due to Perry being an utter moron and being sent off in 40 seconds, so you could even say McGurn is literally 1 goal conceded per game ...

Its no coincidence our run of 7 unbeaten, which included the wins at Ibrox, or our 2 better results of the season such as beating QOS & Hibs all came with McGurn in goal ...

Also the only thrashing we had with him in goal was Vs Livi, where like i stated above, we had 10 men for 90 minutes so take that with a pinch of salt ... Whilst Cuthbert/Laidlaw have been on hand for 2x4-0's from Rangers, 4-0's from Hearts, 6-1's from Rangers, 4-0's from Dundee, 4-0's from Livi, 4-3's Vs 10 men QOS and if you want to look further back a 4-0 from York pre-season to ...

Not only do goal conceding stats back it up that McGurn is by far superior to the other 2, matches won back it up, unbeaten runs back it up, our best wins of the season back it up and much more ... For Murray to not see what the fans seen, what the board obviously seen and due to their confidence levels excelling when hes in goal, what the players seen, it show's me he was not the man who should be in the job and I'm glad hes gone !

Now back to work I go ...

Ok I'm recognising Raith had more part time players who obviously had to train at night and now Raith only have two. Hill and McGurn. For me Raith reducing the p/timers to be fully a full time team was absolutely the right direction to go and unfortunately that may mean making an unpopular decision.

I'm sure McGurn is a top keeper but players come and go. It is more important Raith go in the right direction even if it means looking for another good goalie. How do you know Murray didn't have a better one coming in? Take no offence but this is not a part time club or junior club. The goalie must must train daily with the full time squad. Sorry but I can't believe a professional manager will not insist on this whoever takes over.

I've got to agree with Muzza81 if the main reason or excuse to get of Murray was because he wouldn't sign McGurn I find incredible and also as said a very dangerous precedent. Murray will have gone up even higher in my estimation if he stood his ground and took the sack instead of bowing to interference from whoever!

It was almost certainly Kevin Cuthbert, so no. Even McGurn in his FFP interview suggests he realises it's better that he train with the squad and that some compromise could be met. I don't think McGurn by himself is the reason, or even the main reason Murray went, all joking aside. I do think his treatment of the matter is emblematic of the larger issue the board had with Murray, which involved a longer term malaise. Speaking as someone who was happy enough for Murray to see next season, the issue is that when we were bad this season, we were horrific although when we were good, we were more than good enough. The fanbase however, is long since past giving him the benefit of any doubt on that part (and I still think folk were more than quick to hound him for defeat while not giving him any credit for winning games). The fanbase then, had absolutely no confidence in Murray, which is one half of the issue - his refusal to talk to McGurn would only inflame the support in this respect (while also revealing a deficiency in basic man management on Murray's part). The other half being that Murray himself did not inspire confidence in the board that he had a plan going forward to win back the confidence of the fans.

Edited by renton

Myview - all your points make perfect sense.... It's just a situation that, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to add up. McGurn doesn't train with the team - yet he works with them better, and inspires more confidence in them, than the keepers that do train full time. He holds down a full time job - yet he plays consistently better than the keepers that train full time. He's frequently our most valuable player - yet he takes home a fraction of the wage that our full timers do (I assume!).

Murray may well have brought in a "better" keeper, but we've had keepers come in to replace / deputise for McGurn before (e.g. Robinson and Cuthbert) who've had good reputations, but they've never quite matched up him once they've got to Starks Park.

I'm not convinced that not re-signing McGurn was the main reason for Murray's departure but it may have been the straw that broke the camel's back.