The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is there a serious suggestion here that Raith could punish anyone - whether that punishment is leaving players out when competitive games start or some kind of formal disciplinary action - who goes on holiday this week or next? Do you not have any players with children in school? Surely the club would be understanding about that?

I don't know if any of this is true obviously but more generally on the point, it's a difficult one. Managers and coaches will all tell you that pre-season is the most important few weeks of the year and there are plenty of examples of people who miss part of pre-season through injury or something never quite looking up to speed for the rest of the season. Whilst accepting it's probably slightly different for goalkeepers who do a different sort of training less based on endurance, I would think clubs generally would not be understanding of any player who wanted to miss a fortnight's pre-season to go on holiday. It's difficult when that player is a teacher in his day career and can't go any other time. I would think it's far more likely an application would be made for them to take kids out of school early if the player is the parent though. Most schools are understanding about that sort of thing if they get a letter from the club confirming dates of holidays. It's actually reasonably unusual for players to have school age children, especially secondary school children where the schools are far more reluctant to grant holidays in term time. It's more of a factor for managers and coaches who inevitably tend to be older.

On the Anderson front, McKinnon said on the website he'll be back from his honeymoon soon and is really looking forward to seeing him as Laurie spoke highly of him.

As for McGurn, we don't know if any of this is true. If anything the Anderson story is a perfect example of why we shouldn't be grabbing the pitchforks immediately.

Wonder if Midfield Shield (aka Waspie1.....? )

who kicked this (Anderson v McKinnon) off is on holiday just now?...... :whistle

Huvnae heard fae him fur a while..... seems tae huv disappearred!!

Mibbe checkin' oot some mair "scoops" aboot McKinnon and the team's angst!!

Edited by Wee Sandy

Sounds like mcgurn just does what he wants. He doesn't train with the team then just goes on hols when he wants. Bet the other players are delighted with that - I can see why Murray and now McKinnon aren't too keen on this. This is supposed to be professional football.

Sounds like mcgurn just does what he wants. He doesn't train with the team then just goes on hols when he wants. Bet the other players are delighted with that - I can see why Murray and now McKinnon aren't too keen on this. This is supposed to be professional football.

Some goalkeeping performances from a "bad professional" eh?

he's a part-time professional and the club thought enough of him to give him a 2 yr contract with an extension on it if he chooses. Don't forget football is his other profession not his main one. The club and we the supporters have known this all along so you can't criticise him because he's not professional enough. McGurn is fit and he keeps himself that way through his job and training elsewhere. Going on holiday and missing a couple of training sessions or one or two pre-season friendlies isn't going to make him unfit overnight and I doubt it that he's going to lose all his goalkeeping attributes because of it. McKinnon will be having a look at the other keepers as well during preseason so as for match fitness you don't get a lot and you also don't get much time to gel with your defence. Basically he'll not be missing much and I hope he enjoys his holiday!

Well it sounds like McKinnon disagrees - be very surprised if he's still your no 1 come end of July.

how many players have we signed on loan that doesn't train with us or played any preseason games with us yet they still get a game in the starting 11. Most of them

Well it sounds like McKinnon disagrees - be very surprised if he's still your no 1 come end of July.

He may well not be but if that's the case, I can guarantee he will be by the start of August, after Cuthbert concedes 4 to Cowdenbeath in the petrofac and Laidlaw concedes 4 to a league 2 team in the league cup..

he's a part-time professional and the club thought enough of him to give him a 2 yr contract with an extension on it if he chooses. Don't forget football is his other profession not his main one. The club and we the supporters have known this all along so you can't criticise him because he's not professional enough. McGurn is fit and he keeps himself that way through his job and training elsewhere. Going on holiday and missing a couple of training sessions or one or two pre-season friendlies isn't going to make him unfit overnight and I doubt it that he's going to lose all his goalkeeping attributes because of it. McKinnon will be having a look at the other keepers as well during preseason so as for match fitness you don't get a lot and you also don't get much time to gel with your defence. Basically he'll not be missing much and I hope he enjoys his holiday!

This

Exactly this!! Nothing more to see here...

Wonder if Midfield Shield (aka Waspie1.....? )

who kicked this (Anderson v McKinnon) off is on holiday just now?...... :whistle

Huvnae heard fae him fur a while..... seems tae huv disappearred!!

Mibbe checkin' oot some mair "scoops" aboot McKinnon and the team's angst!!

Still nae word fae Midfield Shield......I am surprised!!........ :o

Edited by Wee Sandy