The New Raith Rovers Thread

I often wondered what Anderson would be like up front. Obviously not effective at putting the ball in the net, but he does have strength and height which is definitely something we lack up there. He is obviously quite fast as well. Id still like the manager to bring in a more natural striker though, whoever that may be.

Decent enough run out tonight. Can't really judge from that first off. But I'd agree with the others that Benedictus and Toshney do look pretty decent and feel like a slight upgrade on Hill and Barr/Watson. Obviously we still have Barr as well, which is fine.

Won't make the Aberdeen game but hopefully make the Dundee game next week.

Looks like there is genuine competition for every single position this year as well. Something we lacked a little last year, obviously full back being the obvious area.

Happy enough with that tonight. Some good performances. Maybe lacking abit up top in terms of a natural goal scorer but hopefully when Stewart comes back in he can recapture his form towards the end of last season. Thought Benedictus and Toshney looked very solid at the back. McCord seems to lack in pace but I'm sure that will improve the fitter he gets and he's very composed on the ball and at picking passes. Craigen put in a decent shift too as did wighton. Vaughan again was our best player tonight in my opinion, great work rate. Megginson looked not too bad when he came on, put himself about. Petrie looked abit shakey at left back but plenty time to improve. Overall we looked strong enough until all the subs. I'll hold my hands up and say I wasn't too impressed with a few of our signings when they were announced but they've done well in that first 90. I take it birch is away back down south with smith being the only trialist?

Euan Smith, was he a trialist last night, where did he come from? Is he a possible signing target? By all accounts the team are doing well. And I trust McKinnons judgement. He so right to assess different formations and we do have and or working to see where everyone fits. Is there any footage of the game at all?

I hope that supporters remember that pre season games are for fitness, formation experimentation, trials etc and shouldn't be deemed as competitive matches. Sure it's nice to win but that doesn't mean a thing really. We passed the ball better than iv seen for years working from defence forward. McCord looked relaxed and composed. Going by the first 45 mins I gotta say I'm a big fan of toshney on that showing. Vaughan showing great speed and skill. Wightons looks strong, bright and skillful. To me it felt like I was watching a different team play (this is what we were hoping for) you can see Ray want the boys to play footie and I'm very encourage ld by the young lads too. I think this could be an interesting season for us and I'd like to see us push for a play off spot. We might need to invest in a tall target man though imo.

Oh I watched on raith TV and gotta say what an excellent job they have done on the quality and the lads commentating aren't too bad too

What the fucks this I'm reading on the Hearts forum about 25 or so 'Rovers fans' setting about Hearts fans last night. Somebody saying a Hearts fan was needing stiches outside the away stand last night after getting a doing :blink:

Edited by Raithie

What the fucks this I'm reading on the Hearts forum about 25 or so 'Rovers fans' setting about Hearts fans last night. Somebody saying a Hearts fan was needing stiches outside the away stand last night after getting a doing :blink:

Not a clue, though I did see a few of the Hearts young team (and I mean young) hanging around. There was talk of organising 'the boys' I'm guessing the prawpa nawty firms organised a meet, or some such pish.

There were a loads of 13 - 16 year old Hearts 'Bois' in Stone Island gear hanging around the tunnel towards Balwearie when I passed after the game. Accompanied by three or four police officers so I'd be surprised if anything happened there.

Would be funny if it was them that took the doing, though.

Just out of curiosity how would you know if they were Hearts or Rovers fans? it sounds like the Hearts fans on their forum are saying they were our fans and that they turned up at the last game at Starks when we played Hearts.

All I know is some were Rovers & were refused entry to the game but the stewards mistook some folk that appeared just before them as being with them so innocent people were refused entry as well, I don't know what actually happened as regards the incidents mentioned on Twitter

Just out of curiosity how would you know if they were Hearts or Rovers fans? it sounds like the Hearts fans on their forum are saying they were our fans and that they turned up at the last game at Starks when we played Hearts.

There was definitely a squad / posse / troop / battalion / ninja collective of Hearts supporters milling in William St around 730pm. They went towards the ground half singing Hearts songs with not entirely convincing bravado. Oldest looked about 14, were all nice and smart and they all had that "cheap at the barbers" haircut. Also had a senior boy / master / glasshoppa type looking after / training / grooming them. Has he not got better things to do? Fannies.

Heard a Hearts guy on phone to his wife / burd / partner / minder / counsellor after the match saying that wee boys had been getting into a rumpus and no-one knew which side they were as none were wearing colours.

If they're locals, do they just wait for Hearts games? Highly selective if so.

There was a group of juveniles hanging around Milton Terrace (just after the railway bridge) when I came past. They were singing Rovers' songs as if they deliberately wanted to be identified as Rovers' fans.

There was definitely a squad / posse / troop / battalion / ninja collective of Hearts supporters milling in William St around 730pm.

If they had just taken a wander into the next street they would have certainly gotten their wee rumble they were after no doubt.

In other news, I was pretty pleased with last night's performance. For an hour or so anyway. As mentioned previously, Toshney/Benedictus looked good and I thought McCord was superb, if unfit. He can play with both feet too and deliver great passes. Always liked him - glad he's here. Craigen too, impressed, esp in 2nd half when he waltzed through 3 Hearts players and was unlucky not to get a shot away at the last moment. Not sure about Hearts 10 man substitution though. Apart from the ever impressive Walker (lovely goal) they looked like a circus troop.

Oh, and Cuthbert OOT!

Looks like the mcgurn rumours are true then, there'll be a few tears shed on this thread in the coming weeks

McKinnon has already said every player will get game time during friendlies and it's up to those players to show they merit a starting place. McGurn will firmly put McKinnon in his place by showing off his immense super powers and justice will have prevailed :)

Anderson up front is an interesting one. He has the attributes to be a handful up front- good in the air, quick, direct.

Reminds me a bit of when Tade first came here. He wasn't a natural striker but had the qualities to trouble teams in this league and it worked great.

I'd like to see him stay up top for a few games, see what he can offer.