The New Raith Rovers Thread

i wasn't on the wind-up, i take it you disagree with my observations? Having been massively impressed by McGurn last season, it stood out to see him flapping and I didn't expect to see so many men on your own goal line when defending. Is it the case that you'll only accept the opinions of Rovers fans? I tend to find observations by supporters of other teams quite useful.

Edited by gingapar

i wasn't on the wind-up, i take it you disagree with my observations? Having been massively impressed by McGurn last season, it stood out to see him flapping and I didn't expect to see so many men on your own goal line when defending. Is it the case that you'll only accept the opinions of Rovers fans? I tend to find observations by supporters of other teams quite useful.

My post wasn't aimed at you.

McGurn had two hairy moments in the first half but there's never been a problem with any part of his game while he's been with us so I don't see it becoming anything approacing an issue. If it does it'll be totally out of character.

You have a bit of a point about us sitting too deep, however. Comes from the midfield, Davidson in particular as Renton touched on in his excellent post. We're screaming for a change in there (and up top, but there's little doubt Baird will regularly play ahead of Weir) and unless McGlynn foolishly decides to dig his heels in he must make changes there, it's obvious to the most blind of supporters. I'd like to see us move away from the counter attacking tactic that was succesful at times last season (although only against the top half) and try and take the game to the opposition more, particularly at home. McGlynn has stated the same ambition but he'll need to change things in order to do so.

McGurn had two hairy moments in the first half but there's never been a problem with any part of his game while he's been with us so I don't see it becoming anything approacing an issue. If it does it'll be totally out of character.

You have a bit of a point about us sitting too deep, however. Comes from the midfield, Davidson in particular as Renton touched on in his excellent post. We're screaming for a change in there (and up top, but there's little doubt Baird will regularly play ahead of Weir) and unless McGlynn foolishly decides to dig his heels in he must make changes there, it's obvious to the most blind of supporters. I'd like to see us move away from the counter attacking tactic that was succesful at times last season (although only against the top half) and try and take the game to the opposition more, particularly at home. McGlynn has stated the same ambition but he'll need to change things in order to do so.

yeah, that's where my point was heading, it's time to show a bit more ambition in trying to grow and climb the league, does McGlynn look like he's prepared to do that? of course, there's no reason why he can't still go with the sit in and counter against the top half, but they should look to assert themselves a bit more firmly in terms of controlling games against the lower sides.

yeah, that's where my point was heading, it's time to show a bit more ambition in trying to grow and climb the league, does McGlynn look like he's prepared to do that? of course, there's no reason why he can't still go with the sit in and counter against the top half, but they should look to assert themselves a bit more firmly in terms of controlling games against the lower sides.

DING! We have a winner!! Green Dot....and for a Par? Ah I'm feeling kind. :P

of course, there's no reason why he can't still go with the sit in and counter against the top half, but they should look to assert themselves a bit more firmly in terms of controlling games against the lower sides.

Perhaps McGlynn hasn't signed sufficient quality to do so - presumably Stirling and Cowden aside? (or not!)

One game and we're doomed. :( It is only a matter of time before Simmons gets a double yellow card for some silly tackles and Walker is thrown into the fray. Problem solved....I hope....I pray....

back to his hack and a dive best!

One game and we're doomed. :( It is only a matter of time before Simmons gets a double yellow card for some silly tackles and Walker is thrown into the fray. Problem solved....I hope....I pray....

And if a dirty townie hooks Graham Weir in the pus again, were in business.

*edited to say excellent earlier post Renton*

Edited by Whistle Blower

Gentlemen we have a problem. Our full backs are both shite, or at least they have been in the two games I've seen. Dyer and Wilson drift out of position and are not quick regaining it once the opposition is rampaging through the open space. Oh, and neither of them could find space to play the ball into with a map and a torch. Add a dodgy keeper into the mix and tonight was scary biscuits. If we play like that against Least Fife we will lose. I know they're not the quality of Utd, but they're probably the quality of Cowdenbeath......

Midfield is none too clever either, and we're toothless up front. I'd like to see a midfield of McBride, Simmons, Walker and Tade, with McBride and Tade under instruction to take the ball to the line and get crosses in for Mole and Baird up front. Baird will score - he scored 13 in a team at the bottom of the league last season, but unless he gets service we'll not be scoring any at all. Weir looked a bit better tonight and was unlucky to hit the post, so I for one am not giving up on him. Keep him as sub.

Ferry to left back, Murray and Campbell centre half and someone else at right back, unless Wilson improves with games and fitness. His distribution was fucking woeful tonight. Ellis was arguably worse.

And another thing - we're not good enough to play this ball to feet style all the time. Our players don't have the control, we don't cover enough ground and we try to walk the ball into the box, pinging it between each other like a hot tattie until someone gives it away (Williamson usually). How about being a bit more direct now and again? Try a fucking shot here and there.

I've never really criticised McGlynn before, and I know it's early days, but I'm worried. I've watched the Rovers long enough to get a good sense of what's going on and I'm concerned about our signings, our formation and our tactics so far. Pretty much everything then. I think we could easily lose on Saturday and that'll be any shred of confidence arsed the week before the really important games start. We need to get a grip.

McGlynn! Get a grip!

Maybe people need to remember that it is only pre-season. Last year, we got knocked out of the challenge cup in the first round then things improved and had an average pre-season. Bearing in mind, the Pars have lost 5-1 this preseason, Falkirk got knocked out the cup too and Dundee were a metaphorical bawhair off the same fate. People might also have inflated expectations: we get decent crowds and started well last year and had our cup run but we've still got a smaller budget than the majority of teams in the league.

Obviously we'd all like to see things changed tactically but that is a problem which is more difficult to solve (e.g. Simmons + Davidson= lack of midfield) The only thing we can do is get right behind the squad, give them support and do what we should be doing. I know its hard but itswhat needs to be done.

Edited by rw89

Maybe people need to remember that it is only pre-season. Last year, we got knocked out of the challenge cup in the first round then things improved and had an average pre-season. Bearing in mind, the Pars have lost 5-1 this preseason, Falkirk got knocked out the cup too and Dundee were a metaphorical bawhair off the same fate. People might also have inflated expectations: we get decent crowds and started well last year and had our cup run but we've still got a smaller budget than the majority of teams in the league.

Obviously we'd all like to see things changed tactically but that is a problem which is more difficult to solve (e.g. Simmons + Davidson= lack of midfield) The only thing we can do is get right behind the squad, give them support and do what we should be doing. I know its hard but itswhat needs to be done.

So as a reward for getting to the Scottish cup semi final, and finishing comfortably above the Giants of Inverclyde our budget was lowered. I mean what is it with McGlynn and his penchant for signing lower league players. Hill has been the only success so far.

I actually thought we played well in spells, looked good in possesion, knocked the ball around and created some decent chances. Davidson worries me(too negative and volatile) and Dyer looks like a liability but hey, Dundee United are clearly one of the top three or four sides in Scotland and were clinical on the night. Our back four last night was makeshift and will change, McGlynn's teams have been traditionaly stingy and this wont change. The PanicSquad needs to ease up and put their panties back on, this team will be fine.

PS anyone else notice how much better we got when Walker switched to the middle?

So as a reward for getting to the Scottish cup semi final, and finishing comfortably above the Giants of Inverclyde our budget was lowered.

It helped pay off some of our debt eg our operating costs

I mean what is it with McGlynn and his penchant for signing lower league players. Hill has been the only success so far.

Agree.

I wonder how many times he actually saw the likes of Dyer(aptly named IMO)and McBride play in competitive games before deciding to sign them

PS anyone else notice how much better we got when Walker switched to the middle?

99.9% of supporters..The thing is though does McGlynn?

If McGlynn goes with Simmons and Davidson on saturday his managerial/tactical skills have to come into question if they are not already

This.

It's fucking pre-season.

Just seen your highlights on SSN

Your defence is fucking honking, seem to have sort oh phobia of tracking runners, marking in general or putting in a decent challenge, even worse than ours ffs.

McGlynn, quick, before anyone else jumps in - snap this guy up for the backroom staff.