The New Raith Rovers Thread

Posted (edited)

Jesus we rode our luck for 120 minutes there. Second to almost every ball all game, Graham causing havoc and our team watching his flick ons most of the time. Corr and Murray did the right thing, step off him and look to pick up the flick on or second ball but we're last to it almost every time. I can't think of many times we made Mitchell work in the Thistle goal again, outside of penalties.

The spirit of the team is fantastic though, truly outstanding from everyone involved. 

Will never understand the mentality of throwing flares onto an artificial surface or stopping the restart from a goal and losing any momentum with the wait.

Edited by CountryBumpkin

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Will never understand the mentality of throwing flares onto an artificial surface or stopping the restart from a goal and losing any momentum with the wait.

Yeah I get that, agree too But kids will be kids and that wee section tonight was magic. Thistle have put so much work into getting young ones into the game. Rovers need to do the same. Need to embrace this "fan culture " No reason why south stand can't be full every week. 

What a night  

Well done to Raith and all the best for the finals.

A cracking game and there wasn't too much between the teams over the two legs.

A tough couple of games lie ahead but you were a clear second and for that alone you deserve a crack at whoever finishes bottom in the Premiership.

You certainly have the talent and belief to beat whoever you face next week.

Trying to interpret the SPFL tiebreakers if Ross County draw the Dons and St Johnstone beat Motherwell. One reading suggests the +2 GD after 33 games gives Ross Co the advantage…the more logical, but not clear, version says Ross Co is up by +3, so in the above case it would take a 4 goal win by St. Johnstone to pass Ross Co IF they draw the Dons. Can anyone confirm that’s the case…and if so, and they only tied up the GD, does it then require a playoff match to break the tie, delaying the finals, because the goals scored tie breaker isn’t mentioned in Rules C36 and C37.

What was the wee skirmish in the stairway about at one point in the second half? 

Thought the atmosphere last night was superb, really enjoyed it from start to finish. Nerve shredding ending but that’s why we go. 

16 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Trying to interpret the SPFL tiebreakers if Ross County draw the Dons and St Johnstone beat Motherwell. One reading suggests the +2 GD after 33 games gives Ross Co the advantage…the more logical, but not clear, version says Ross Co is up by +3, so in the above case it would take a 4 goal win by St. Johnstone to pass Ross Co IF they draw the Dons. Can anyone confirm that’s the case…and if so, and they only tied up the GD, does it then require a playoff match to break the tie, delaying the finals, because the goals scored tie breaker isn’t mentioned in Rules C36 and C37.

You're overthinking it.

St Johnstone 2pts behind Ross County with a better goal difference, so if we win and they draw, it's impossible for our goal difference not to be better and we finish above them.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're overthinking it.

St Johnstone 2pts behind Ross County with a better goal difference, so if we win and they draw, it's impossible for our goal difference not to be better and we finish above them.

Right, I see I flipped the GD now…but what about the whole after 33 games bit? It never specifies after 38 for the Premiership teams. I understand it’ll be for placing top 6 and bottom 6, but it’s a poorly written mess.

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Right, I see I flipped the GD now…but what about the whole after 33 games bit? It never specifies after 38 for the Premiership teams. I understand it’ll be for placing top 6 and bottom 6, but it’s a poorly written mess.

The 33 game marker just splits the league into two mini-divisions, for final positions you just look at whatever "half" you're looking at and see their final tally after 38 games.

8 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Why would they have to specify it's after 38 games - doesn't that go without saying?

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The 33 game marker just splits the league into two mini-divisions, for final positions you just look at whatever "half" you're looking at and see their final tally after 38 games.

OK, that’s what I thought until I read the utter drivel that passes for C36 and C37 in the SPFL Rulebook. So we’re actually down to Ross Co win, they’re safe, Ross Co draw or lose, they simply need St Johnstone not to win because a St Johnstone win trumps a Ross Co draw or loss.

3 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Why would they have to specify it's after 38 games - doesn't that go without saying?

You would think so, but after wading through those rules and all the amendments they made to account for the partial seasons and crap like that, it’s a pretty messed up set of rules. It specifically only mentions Premiership results after 33 games, but for the rest it uses “season”…and the Premiership rules are a separate paragraph from the rest.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

So we’re actually down to Ross Co win, they’re safe, Ross Co draw or lose, they simply need St Johnstone not to win because a St Johnstone win trumps a Ross Co draw or loss.

Yes.

Watched the game last night, felt Raith rode there luck at times. Brian Graham missing a sitter near the end of 90 minutes. 

But during these play offs, you need luck. Was great to see the stadium bouncing, atmosphere looked superb 

Think I will head a long to the home tie next week, will the railway be open? I suspect you might have a bigger home crowd than tonight.

I hope you can do it! 

19 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Watched the game last night, felt Raith rode there luck at times. Brian Graham missing a sitter near the end of 90 minutes. 

But during these play offs, you need luck. Was great to see the stadium bouncing, atmosphere looked superb 

Think I will head a long to the home tie next week, will the railway be open? I suspect you might have a bigger home crowd than tonight.

I hope you can do it! 

I'd have expected Graham to bury that chance, but I don't buy the notion that Thistle were unlucky. They beat Airdrie courtesy of an offside goal, got back into the tie courtesy of a fluke on Tuesday and took the lead last night as a result of an appalling refereeing decision compounded by a deflection.

Good to see all the United Twitter fannies still utterly frothing at our media team. How folk can get that worked up overs posts on the internet is beyond me…🤣🤣🤣

I love this football club. Today will be the most attention I've paid to the top tiers results in a long time. Not sure how realistic it will be but will do everything in my power to be at the game next Sunday. Only the 7 or 9 hour each way drive dependant on where we end up and I'm unable to travel on the Saturday.

This is the closest we've been to the top division in my entire time supporting the Rovers (first season was the 02/03 season under Calderon).

Also, despite the penalty, Scott Brown, pler.

10 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

No, but I also can't understand the mentality of employing stewards to stand around in PPE and watch them burn out. They even moan at players for removing them from the field.

4 minutes ago, Ex Machina said:

I love this football club. Today will be the most attention I've paid to the top tiers results in a long time. Not sure how realistic it will be but will do everything in my power to be at the game next Sunday. Only the 7 or 9 hour each way drive dependant on where we end up and I'm unable to travel on the Saturday.

This is the closest we've been to the top division in my entire time supporting the Rovers (first season was the 02/03 season under Calderon).

Also, despite the penalty, Scott Brown, pler.

I hate to be “that guy”, but this is pie and bovril and pedantry is what we do best here. It may be worth keeping an eye on tomorrow’s results instead.