The New Raith Rovers Thread

He's right that we didn't track runs last night, making it very easy for United to pick us apart. We know these players are normally fine with that, just looked like they weren't concentrating/putting in the effort to do so last night. We'll be fine once the league starts I'm sure.

He's right that we didn't track runs last night, making it very easy for United to pick us apart. We know these players are normally fine with that, just looked like they weren't concentrating/putting in the effort to do so last night. We'll be fine once the league starts I'm sure.

It may just have been that this was the only 5 times during the whole game there this happened and you got unlucky that Dundee Utd punished you for it, but for a few of the goals they were preventable...

Did you miss how poor our results were from November onwards? I'm not so confident that the players are suddenly going to start playing just becuase it's a league game compared to either a friendly or a challenge cup game.

I think we need to reach some kind of happy medium between these views. There's no point sticking our heads in the sand, pretending everything is OK because "it's only pre-season" and that we'll suddenly start trying harder and playing better just because the league is starting. Equally, there's no point making things out to be worse than they are, we have had a less than impressive pre-season, we were rank rotten in our only competitive match, the new signings haven't particularly impressed thus far, but no real damage has been done yet, and we (should) know what needs to be done to turn things around. All it takes is one good performance - look at the Pars, they were awful, turned in well against Aberdeen and now they've turned the corner and look in good shape to kick off the league.

We could've had a much tougher couple of fixtures than East Fife and Partick at home, both ideal to try and get some confidence back. Hopefully we can do it. If we don't, maybe it'll be time to start searching for that panic butto, but until then it's too early to totally write us off.

It appears Kevin Smith is available again, having turned down Notts County's offer of 1 year instead of 2. Explains the Dundee Utd tracksuit etc last night. We MUST try to sign him. Sell Williamson, increase the cost of the pies, don't cut the grass so much, whatever it takes. Sell Williamson anyway.

It appears Kevin Smith is available again, having turned down Notts County's offer of 1 year instead of 2. Explains the Dundee Utd tracksuit etc last night. We MUST try to sign him. Sell Williamson, increase the cost of the pies, don't cut the grass so much, whatever it takes. Sell Williamson anyway.

I wonder if Montrose are interested? :unsure:

I wonder if Montrose are interested? unsure.gif

Aye - he'd fit in well at Montrose Nil. He'd probably be amazing in the second but just doesn't move quick enough for me, or tackle enough, or shoot often enough. If he'd got his backside into gear last night he could have had a tap-in, but no.

Why sign Kevin Smith, when we already have Jamie Goaly Moly. Plus we can't afford him, i think McGlynn has the team he wants

Why sign Kevin Smith, when we already have Jamie Goaly Moly. Plus we can't afford him, i think McGlynn has the team he wants

suspect that if we do sign Smith it wont be until Mole's loan deal ends unless money becomes avialable tho no point in signing more forwards if we dont play players in the positions were they are most effective for the team, not a position just so they can play

Buy available, you mean he is still under contract at another club, which means we have to spend money, which means he is in fact unavailable

Anyway, what's the point in having someone like Smith when our midfield is so rank?

Buy available, you mean he is still under contract at another club, which means we have to spend money, which means he is in fact unavailable

I believe Peter Houston waa happy to let Smith leave for Notts County on a free transfer? So money wouldn't be an issue.

Anyway, what's the point in having someone like Smith when our midfield is so rank?

For me the signing of Smith would allow Tade to operate exclusively as a winger (Smith, Mole, Weir and Baird would be enough up front), putting Williamson out of the team and meaning if Walker ever played, it would have to be in the centre.

Bringing in Mole may well have used up the last of the budget though. If that's the case, it'd have to go down as a mistake from McGlynn, signing an alternative striker before Smith (the number one target) had signed his contract with Notts County. Not that we know that is what's happened though.

Edited by Paco

Pretty much! Last season our problem was putting chances away but we seem to be struggling to even create chances so far...

THE MIDFIELD IS FINE! DAVO & SIMMONS = FANTASTIC, YOU HEAR?! :angry:

I genuinely don't know what Allan Walker has to do to get a game through the middle. He's the only one of our CMs that provides any kind of link between the midfield and the attack, yet McGlynn will either bench him or bung him out on the right. It's patently obvious to all that we're strangling the entire team with our current CM partnership, but McGlynn constantly refuses to address it.

Play one of the above with Walker and we should at least see a difference. I'd personally be tempted to drop both of them after their performances against Cowden.

If Mc Glynn has the team he wants were fuked

No need for melodrama, the guys we have didn't turn into bad players over night. We have half decent personnel and our target should still be attainable, i.e. staying in the division and maybe not getting sucked into a dog fight, and that really can only be the height of our ambition this time round. We've come on leaps and bounds under McGlynn, but it was always going to get harder to provide year on year improvement.

I'd be the first to suggest that Davidson and Simmons shouldn't play together, and as the game got more stretched last night I thought walker made a good claim for one of the CM berths on saturday, time will tell. In other areas, depsite being up against guys with a lot of pace and power, I thought Dyer had a better game, he's getting there. Wilson looks to be getting forward more and that will only help.

I still wasn't impressed by ellis and Murray as a partnership but as Hill and Ccampbell become fit that will sort itself out. while up fornt our strike force did as well as it could with the opportunities they ahd and were unlucky rather than incompetent I thought.

Yes, the team ahs issues just now, and I'd be the last to gloss over them but there is no doubt that we picked up a bit after saturday and facing a superb team like DU was never going to be easy. We have to pick the positives where we can and accept that at least the team's tempo should have improved for saturday.

We are not fucked, not yet (albeit if EF put us to the sword then I might just retract that statement)

I believe Peter Houston waa happy to let Smith leave for Notts County on a free transfer? So money wouldn't be an issue.

For me the signing of Smith would allow Tade to operate exclusively as a winger (Smith, Mole, Weir and Baird would be enough up front), putting Williamson out of the team and meaning if Walker ever played, it would have to be in the centre.

Bringing in Mole may well have used up the last of the budget though. If that's the case, it'd have to go down as a mistake from McGlynn, signing an alternative striker before Smith (the number one target) had signed his contract with Notts County. Not that we know that is what's happened though.

Here's the issue, the money we might ahve spent on Smith went into getting Mole, and even if it didn't we were not offering Smith the kind of wages that would have made him upsticks anyway - it's not that likely that he would ahve come for the wages we had (pre-Mole).

Edited by renton

Did you miss how poor our results were from November onwards? I'm not so confident that the players are suddenly going to start playing just becuase it's a league game compared to either a friendly or a challenge cup game.

I should've made it clearer, but in my last post I meant I'm sure the defence will be alright when the season comes about. Dunno about going forward, we didn't look too bad up front yesterday, midfield was shit. Last night was the first game I've been to this season, so it's all I've got to go on.

Here's the issue, the money we might ahve spent on Smith went into getting Mole, and even if it didn't we were not offering Smith the kind of wages that would have made him upsticks anyway - it's not that likely that he would ahve come for the wages we had (pre-Mole).

I read an interview with Smith while he was on trial with Notts saying he'd spoken to John McGlynn before he went to their training camp, and that signing for the Rovers was very much a possibility if things didn't work out on trial.

I realise we don't have barreloads of money, but from the sounds of it Smith seemed happy to take that hit in order to play first team football, put himself in the shop window etc. Obviously if another side came in and offered more money (there was interest from Partick) we'd probably not get him, but that's the case with any player we go for.

So from the outside looking in - merely how it appears, I'm not passing it off as fact - it seems we've chased Smith, it's seemed he's set to sign for Notts County, we've signed someone else, Smith's deal fell through and now our budget is gone and he's going to look for another club. If that's the way of things it can only go down as a bit of a cock-up. There wasn't an urgent need to rush the Jamie Mole deal through in time for the Cowden match, we still had three strikers.