The New Raith Rovers Thread

The appointment of Anelka was met with considerable criticism from the Rovers support btw.

Dunfermline fans lapped up years of overspending whilst belittling those who warned about it.

The two comparisons are indeed chalk and cheese. We got a guy who over the course of 6months turned an average team into a useless team of amateurs then left with us skint.

Masterton cheated left right and centre for a decade or more with money that didn't exist to take Dunfermline to SPL, cup finals and even Europe. Pars' fans knew what was going on but enjoyed the ride while they could before the "poor us" crap started once they had run out of avenues to cheat and deceive. One thing that still gets my goat is that many of the fans they have today were probably created during this 'glory' era which shouldn't of really happened if the £15million or so hadn't been stolen during it.

Don't suppose this 1000x£20 a month is going to the companies that took a 0p in £ on depts owed to them by DAFC? Thought not. 1000 x Masterton worshippers and wannabes!

So about 5 years since Cardle last had a good season then?

Guys like Moffat and Talbot wouldn't get a game for any top seven side in the Championship this season, so maybe you will be setting your sights a bit lower next season after all. Good to see.

He's just had a pretty good season tbh, was also our top scorer in the following SPL season with about 8 goals? And again was good for us in the following season until he was made redundant. The fact he didn't set the heather alight at Raith doesn't bother me at all. We know him inside out and we know his capabilities and limitations, he's more than good enough for the top end of the championship. Throughout his career he's played at a higher level than Bobby Barr (apart from this one obv) and Raith fans seem pretty happy with him.

It's ironic you're passing judgement on these players despite having barely seen them play over the past season, would be like me coming on here and laughing my tits of that your left back is getting so lauded, he genuinely put in one of the most shambolic full back displays I've ever seen at EEP the last time we played, either he's improved with a change in management and scenery (as players can) or the standard has dropped off the face of the earth.

It's probably the former though.

With the stranglehold Masterton had on the club there really wasn't an alternative tbh. Unless someone had a few million to buy out his 94% stake he wasn't shifting, he fought enough to keep a hold of the club at the end even when it was obvious to everyone he was finished.

Secondly we've just had a Rovers fans pish his frillies because a Pars fans dared to use the word ambition, is it OK to belittle that nonsense?

Is it aye? The fans done that and then some, the way the fans rallied together and continue to do so is outstanding, nothing but immense pride in our club now.

Did you all speak out against the board when you were winning titles etc with money everyone knew wasnt there?

History is full of clubs whose fans rally round when the chips are down, nothing special.  We did it 10 years before and didnt come asking for gushing praise.

Had to go for McKeown. He's probably shown the most improvement from last year. And that beaut of a goal. Toshney has been an absolute beast though. Stewart was in contention too but he had a bit of a slump.

Did you all speak out against the board when you were winning titles etc with money everyone knew wasnt there?

History is full of clubs whose fans rally round when the chips are down, nothing special. We did it 10 years before and didnt come asking for gushing praise.

Most definitely not, to get the amount of money needed to buy out Masterton just wasn't feasible unless we had an extremely rich sugar daddy, I'm genuinely interested but what would you have done?

I'm not asking for gushing praise, it doesn't really concern me what feelings the Rovers fans have towards the Pars, it can pretty much be summarised down To "Yooz are pure cheatz" already over it.

I don't really know much about the Save the Rovers campaign, however if it was on the same scale as the Save the Pars campaign then it certainly must have been special and it's something to be proud off. If you don't then that's upto you, every Pars fans has every right to feel proud of the efforts they put in, and continue to put in.

I just don't get the "I'm not going to the game coz it's Rangers" mentality.

In all the years of seeing Rangers play at Starks Park, I can only recall one unsavory incident with their support and that was during a friendly match a few years back (guy who threw a punch at a steward when being removed from the home end). I didn't even hear the sectarian singing during last seasons game, nor do I suspect many did in the home end did either - I rather expect that there was more an 'offended by proxy' scenario going on by those of a disposition who consider the OF to be spawn of Satan and to blame for all evils in the Scottish game.

I am not at all condoning the singing, which obviously happened, not for 1 second, but I just can't get excited about it.  There is no place for it in society in general but it is clearly a minority these days and as Rovers fans we can't too excited about non-PC chants given the song we used to sing about what we'd rather be than a Par. 

As for hostile and unpleasant atmospheres... really?  We must have some right sensitive souls in our support.  I have never felt threatened walking to and from games involving Rangers (or Celtic) at Starks Park.  I don't recall running street battles, burning cars, women being pushed over....  If we're being honest, there's been more trouble in recent years with Dunfermline visiting (trouble in the high street, assaults, vandalism).  That said, most of those incidents can be attributed to their so-called Young Team that only turn up at derby games to cause bother and are not reflective of their support in general.

I think it's fair to say that of Rangers too, that it's a minority that can cause trouble or offence, it's just that they have such a large support that it's more apparent.  The moron element exists in every support.

Bottom line is that it's just an excuse not to go to Starks Park.  To those citing this as a reason not to go - get a grip of reality and get over yourselves.  As has been said previously, this Rovers team has done incredibly well this season - to be so far ahead in 4th place at this stage is a big achievement for a club with our resources,  Get out there and support the team, regardless of who they are playing.  

Is it aye? The fans done that and then some, the way the fans rallied together and continue to do so is outstanding, nothing but immense pride in our club now.

And I doff my cap for that. But, clearly, I meant then, and not just now. The "no choice, Masterton had control" thing just doesn't wash when you were celebrating (and still are) the 'achievements' of what was long since known to be unsustainable spending.

He's just had a pretty good season tbh, was also our top scorer in the following SPL season with about 8 goals? And again was good for us in the following season until he was made redundant. The fact he didn't set the heather alight at Raith doesn't bother me at all. We know him inside out and we know his capabilities and limitations, he's more than good enough for the top end of the championship. Throughout his career he's played at a higher level than Bobby Barr (apart from this one obv) and Raith fans seem pretty happy with him.

It's ironic you're passing judgement on these players despite having barely seen them play over the past season, would be like me coming on here and laughing my tits of that your left back is getting so lauded, he genuinely put in one of the most shambolic full back displays I've ever seen at EEP the last time we played, either he's improved with a change in management and scenery (as players can) or the standard has dropped off the face of the earth.

It's probably the former though.

Bobby Barr is an interesting case, been watching him for a few years since his Albion Rovers days. He's always looked to have the ability (and the reason Raith fans are so pleased with the signing is because we saw him tear us a new one more than once while at Livi) but he's had ... off-field issues which have held him back. I think he'd have played at a higher level for longer but for that.

Time will tell though - I remember when I first saw Cardle playing for Airdrie and I thought he looked a terrific prospect too, and I was very happy when we eventually signed him. Opinions still vary on how well he did for us, but for me he was a disappointment, and I wasn't in favour of re-signing when the idea was mooted last summer. (In the event, we couldn't have come close to matching the offer that the new fiscally-responsible Dunfermline Athletic made him anyway.)

Maybe Barr will end up being similarly underwhelming, ask me again this time next year. Too early to get too carried away about Connolly as well, promising though he is.

I'm not asking for gushing praise, it doesn't really concern me what feelings the Rovers fans have towards the Pars, it can pretty much be summarised down To "Yooz are pure cheatz" already over it.

Nah, it's really not like that. Not for me anyway. But I'll leave it there.

Quite cute how the Pars fans who have been silent for a few years are all puffed up at the moment. Wee man syndrome

Suggestion for a new song "DAFC"

Dunfermline Athletic, Dunfermline Athletic

nah nah nah nah

nah nah nah nah

they're Daft And Frigging Cluekess

they're Daft And Frigging Clueless

nah nah nah nah

nah nah nah nah............to the tune of, gonnae dae the bouncy.

Hope they spend a fortune and go bust, without affecting any one outside of Dunfermline

I just don't get the "I'm not going to the game coz it's Rangers" mentality.

In all the years of seeing Rangers play at Starks Park, I can only recall one unsavory incident with their support and that was during a friendly match a few years back (guy who threw a punch at a steward when being removed from the home end). I didn't even hear the sectarian singing during last seasons game, nor do I suspect many did in the home end did either - I rather expect that there was more an 'offended by proxy' scenario going on by those of a disposition who consider the OF to be spawn of Satan and to blame for all evils in the Scottish game.

I am not at all condoning the singing, which obviously happened, not for 1 second, but I just can't get excited about it.  There is no place for it in society in general but it is clearly a minority these days and as Rovers fans we can't too excited about non-PC chants given the song we used to sing about what we'd rather be than a Par. 

As for hostile and unpleasant atmospheres... really?  We must have some right sensitive souls in our support.  I have never felt threatened walking to and from games involving Rangers (or Celtic) at Starks Park.  I don't recall running street battles, burning cars, women being pushed over....  If we're being honest, there's been more trouble in recent years with Dunfermline visiting (trouble in the high street, assaults, vandalism).  That said, most of those incidents can be attributed to their so-called Young Team that only turn up at derby games to cause bother and are not reflective of their support in general.

I think it's fair to say that of Rangers too, that it's a minority that can cause trouble or offence, it's just that they have such a large support that it's more apparent.  The moron element exists in every support.

Bottom line is that it's just an excuse not to go to Starks Park.  To those citing this as a reason not to go - get a grip of reality and get over yourselves.  As has been said previously, this Rovers team has done incredibly well this season - to be so far ahead in 4th place at this stage is a big achievement for a club with our resources,  Get out there and support the team, regardless of who they are playing.  

Okay, last post on this subject too. I'm not going, because I don't want to, and no amount of goading me or questioning my loyalty is going to make me want to.

But just for clarity, when I talk about the Rangers support or the atmosphere, I'm not thinking of or expecting specific incidents (I'm not the kind of person who's ever attracted or got involved in violence of any kind, anyway). Nor am I thinking of specific sectarian songs. But there's a general atmosphere of poison which I find deeply unpleasant. (And the picking out of certain songs as being 'sectarian' totally misses the point anyway, for me. They have loads of songs - and flags and banners - that carry all the same overtones and connotations, and are intended to support all the same political agendas. The singling out of particular songs just because they're the ones that happen to be more explicit is a waste of time.)

So, sorry. I respect everyone else's position, and I'm not for a moment criticising anyone for going - nor even for struggling to understand why I might not want to. But I won't go.

Went for Toshney myself. He has missed a few through injury but when he plays he makes such a difference to the side, covering three different positions as well. Would probably have gone for Jason Thomson if he hadn't missed such a chunk through injury.

McKeown and Cuthbert are really the only two players to have played virtually all the time. While both have had good, solid seasons and I really hope they stay, I think a PoTY would be a bit much for both. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ray giving his award to either though, partly because they always play and are always solid, but partly because by the look of it they're not signing a new deal and he might try to persuade them...

Big word when you're not even the biggest sports team in your town bbz.

Kirkcaldy, sustaining two successful sports teams for 78 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fife_Flyers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunfermline_Vikings

Kirkcaldy, sustaining two successful sports teams for 78 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fife_Flyers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunfermline_Vikings

Congratulations I suppose? I'm sure that's a great comfort when they're pulling in more punters.

Couldn't care less about Ice Hockey in any way shape or form.

And I doff my cap for that. But, clearly, I meant then, and not just now. The "no choice, Masterton had control" thing just doesn't wash when you were celebrating (and still are) the 'achievements' of what was long since known to be unsustainable spending.

Bobby Barr is an interesting case, been watching him for a few years since his Albion Rovers days. He's always looked to have the ability (and the reason Raith fans are so pleased with the signing is because we saw him tear us a new one more than once while at Livi) but he's had ... off-field issues which have held him back. I think he'd have played at a higher level for longer but for that.

Time will tell though - I remember when I first saw Cardle playing for Airdrie and I thought he looked a terrific prospect too, and I was very happy when we eventually signed him. Opinions still vary on how well he did for us, but for me he was a disappointment, and I wasn't in favour of re-signing when the idea was mooted last summer. (In the event, we couldn't have come close to matching the offer that the new fiscally-responsible Dunfermline Athletic made him anyway.)

Maybe Barr will end up being similarly underwhelming, ask me again this time next year. Too early to get too carried away about Connolly as well, promising though he is.

Again, what would you do? How you have gone about overthrowing Masterton? Any questions that were asked at any meetings were swept under the carpet Comical Ali style. Just like the Raith Rovers fans had no control over Anelka swanning in I'm genuinely struggling to see what course of action anyone could've taken to remove Masterton.  And I'd imagine that what positives did happen during that time will be celebrated, they're just as much of the history of the club as the Cowdenbeath thumping and the nightmare last season, I'm pretty sure Cowdenbeath won't be forgetting either of those any time soon. They were also as a consequence of Mastertons time running the club, we certainly won't be allowed to forget them!

When Cardle signed a Raith fan mentioned that Cardle would thrive in an environment where he felt loved and where he felt like he was the main man, I think that's pretty accurate. Fwiw I'm sure Barr will be more than adequate.

Hopefully see you next season cuntos xox

Edited by Grant228

Had to go for McKeown. He's probably shown the most improvement from last year. And that beaut of a goal. Toshney has been an absolute beast though. Stewart was in contention too but he had a bit of a slump.

Stewart hasn't been consistent over the whole season, tbf. Usual story - put a decent player up front with him and he will do well and score goals. No surprises he came well into form again at the end of January.

Toshney for me, although McKeown runs him close. Think Cuthbert and Thomson are also notably high performers, though the latter's injury would probably rule him out. The difference since he came back in is however very noticeable, particularly in an attacking sense.

Got to take back all I've said about you.  Well maybe not all. I went for McKeown as well.  The change in consistency from the season before has been immense.