The New Raith Rovers Thread

We lost the play-off because Hibs are better than us, not because of anything that may or may not have been happening with Dundee United.

Probably, but it wouldn't be too far fetched to think these situations unsettle players. We managed to beat that better Hibs team on Wednesday.

Personally I've no problems with Ray going to United. It might work out for us in terms of future loan signings. I just hope the next manager isn't a complete dud.

He's not away yet but if things were to break down between McKinnon and Utd and he never took the job then the damage is already done I'm afraid. Yes he's given us a great season but it'd struggle to back someone that's clearly not wanting to be here any longer. Any vacancy that comes up from a bigger team in the future would have fans on tenterhooks thinking he'll be away.

That would be the case with any young manager who does well for us. Are we looking at Frank Connor/John McGlynn types again to be safe?

Probably, but it wouldn't be too far fetched to think these situations unsettle players. We managed to beat that better Hibs team on Wednesday.

Personally I've no problems with Ray going to United. It might work out for us in terms of future loan signings. I just hope the next manager isn't a complete dud.

Doubt we will get any loan signings from them - they will be direct competition to us next season.

Darren Young and Gary Naysmith have probably performed best if we're talking lower league candidates. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Ian Murray, Danny Lennon, Gary Teale, Colin Cameron, Jimmy Calderwood, Gary Locke.. Probably sums up the list of the 'usual suspects'.

Mark Burchill, John McGlynn and James Fowler have managed similar clubs in the league with varying results.

Barry Robson and Lee McCulloch seem to be linked with every managerial job going. And of course there's Laurie Ellis too.

Inspiring.

Someone with enthusiasm, energy and pro-active approach would be great. Who that someone is? No idea.

Edited by Paco

Darren Young and Gary Naysmith have probably performed best if we're talking lower league candidates. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

Ian Murray, Danny Lennon, Gary Teale, Colin Cameron, Jimmy Calderwood, Gary Locke.. Probably sums up the list of the 'usual suspects'.

Mark Burchill, John McGlynn and James Fowler have managed similar clubs in the league with varying results.

Barry Robson and Lee McCulloch seem to be linked with every managerial job going. And of course there's Laurie Ellis too.

Inspiring.

Someone with enthusiasm, energy and pro-active approach would be great. Who that someone is? No idea.

Aye, brutal.

Hibs are undoubtedly better than us, but considering we went into the game with a 1-0 lead, it was far from an impossible task. I can't help but think the players and the management would've been better prepared for the game, mentally as much as anything else, if there wasn't this level of distraction.

We all know how the world works. McKinnon has been speaking to United (or a representative) before official permission was granted. I don't blame him for that, ultimately it's a job he wants and he's got to play the game to get it, but that doesn't make it any easier to digest.

I know United have got to look after number one, but given their season isn't even finished yet, and they already know they're being relegated, would a few extra days wait have killed them? Or, you know, hold a series of interviews that in some way resemble a modern recruitment strategy.

Not impossible, no. Nonetheless, Hibs were better than us, over the season and over the two legs.

He's not away yet but if things were to break down between McKinnon and Utd and he never took the job then the damage is already done I'm afraid. Yes he's given us a great season but it'd struggle to back someone that's clearly not wanting to be here any longer. Any vacancy that comes up from a bigger team in the future would have fans on tenterhooks thinking he'll be away. 

Steady on. He's (probably) going to be offered the job at his hometown club, which he supports and is most affiliated. Might be a one-off opportunity, and the fact that he's interested doesn't for a moment imply that he's "not wanting" to be at Raith, or that he wouldn't be entirely professional and committed if, for any reason, this doesn't come off. Jimmy Nicholl went for a couple of other job interviews during his first spell at Raith, as I recall (Norwich and Northern Ireland) - there's really not an issue there.

What about John Collins? Leaving Celtic, unlikely to play hoofball, but a bit of a dour, 'marmite' character and possibly not the greatest at man management. Even so, it sounds good in my head. No? Aw, you're probably right, but still...

The more I think on it, the more I think we should part with some cash and go with Jack Ross. Collins would be a shout too. Better than some names seen cropping up.

Also, spare a thought for Bobby Barr. Potentially being reunited with McKinnon and our team performing well, now he's no idea where it'll end up.

If he has good food contacts get him to sign Conrad Logan

Maybe he can bring chips to the San Starko. If he an get fudge donuts and apple turnovers in, then he gets my vote.

Barry Smith bombed after the Dundee admin bounce was over (John Brown FFS) and did little at Alloa, if I remember correctly. Aldershot are 15th in the National League too.

I'd rather we stay away fom John Collins, tbh. High profile and has contacts, but ended up out at Hibs following a dressing room revolt (and not forgetting the Scott Brown "dunno" interview). A bit of a walloper by all accounts.

I think I'd rather go with a candidate who's done well with a team in the lower leagues from the names bounded about so far. It may not work, but they'll see it as a chance to get a decent break. Appointing a perennial failure won't automatically mean the candidate will fail here too, but I feel it's better to take the chance on someone fresh.

I don't envy the board one bit. Murray had ran his course but in McKinnon we have a popular, intuituve manager who who had plenty more to give offer. Replacing him will be exceptionally difficult.