The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Same boy was genuinely shouting about us being just the same as last year, and about how no one was trying. At the first friendly.

Jim is actually a sound auld boy but you'd think he'd know by now that friendly reults are entirely meaningless.

I feel Jim's pain.

I'm usually unhappy when I'm not at the Rovers.

I'm also generally unhappy when I'm AT the Rovers. 

Usual friendly affair tonight. Euan Murray looked decent. As did the trialist left back. 

Typical first friendly, full of heavy legs and heavy touches. Really hard to take anything from that. Only really went because I figured it'd be my only shot at seeing the trialists before the competitive games start. The number 3 - McMullen? - looked decent at left back, within the obvious constraints of a glorified training session, got himself in some decent positions. Number 2 didn't make much of an impression either way. Robertson looked well rusty, but at the same time was trying to drive forward with the ball, something we're often crying out for. Cal, Robbo, Barr all looked well off of it - but then it's to be expected. All the forwards looked a handful, and I suspect we'll be seeing a fair bit more of Court, he's the one who offers the physical presence up front. Vaughan had some nice touches and some heavy ones, but looked good dropping into the deeper pockets of space, to turn with it and play others in. Buchanan doesn't have tracking back in his game, but looked good playing furthest forward, Spence was his good old, hard working self. Bene still isn't a full back, Davo will be as Davo does and Euan Murray looked good.

First half setup was your standard 4-4-2, it remains to be seen if Smith can further recruit to make that viable long term.

Edited by renton

52 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Towards the end. A City player stepped inside Barr on the touch line and the absolute mort that sells 50/50 tickets told him to get a fucking hold of himself, or words to that effect. Barr then said, "shut your puss you old c**t".

you are obviously busy on a Saturday match day doing something  to benefit the club when he is selling 50/50 tickets ?, are you ?

1 minute ago, Ancient Mariner said:

you are obviously busy on a Saturday match day doing something  to benefit the club when he is selling 50/50 tickets ?, are you ?

What benefit does the club get from someone laying into the players an hour into pre season?

Fail to see the relevance.

Are you saying because the guy sells 50/50s he should be exempt from criticism for getting his knickers in a twist over a friendly?

1 minute ago, Sweaty Morph said:

Fail to see the relevance.

Are you saying because the guy sells 50/50s he should be exempt from criticism for getting his knickers in a twist over a friendly?

that's obviously not what I am saying or inferring  but if it is who I think it is he doesn't deserve to be called stupid unkind names, no need for that

a point can be made without being nasty

and if Barr did say that to him, totally out of order

but I guess not out of character

5 minutes ago, Ancient Mariner said:

that's obviously not what I am saying or inferring  but if it is who I think it is he doesn't deserve to be called stupid unkind names, no need for that

If you can dish it out you must be prepared to take it in return.

So you're saying that a fan can abuse the players in whatever way they please but as soon as the player retaliates, it's out of order? :lol:

Especially when the fan's abuse is completely unwarranted? :lol:

The person concerned shouts every week at the players no matter how well they are playing, can't understand why he would in a friendly though I suppose he's intitled to shout as he's paid his money however this doesn't help the Rovers pre-season game or not

If you can dish it out you must be prepared to take it in return.

So you're saying that a fan can abuse the players in whatever way they please but as soon as the player retaliates, it's out of order? :lol:

Especially when the fan's abuse is completely unwarranted? :lol:

Exactly

Last season a lot of our fans weren't happy with Conrad Balatoni when he effectively told some guy standing in the terracing to shut up. The guy had been standing in the same spot all season, spouting the same shite and generally being pretty horrible to any under performing players.

Some fans knew the guy and defended Balatoni but most of them took the attitude that the guy was paying money to watch garbage and he was perfectly justified in what he was saying. Added also that Balatoni was being paid by the club so he had no right to confront the supporter.

Imo it doesn't matter how you're being paid or how badly you're playing it doesn't give someone the right to come to what is basically your workplace and shout abuse at you.

^^ Sells 50/50 tickets IMO.

Why do people get so upset over a friendly, a few boys having a breakdown on Facebook.

Happens every single year, without fail. Remember some fans boooing the team off after a defeat to East Fife a couple of years ago. Went on to have our best league finish in almost 20 years.