The New Raith Rovers Thread

30 minutes ago, Paco said:

Good shout, under McKinnon. I knew I'd seen it before, but was getting confused with a strip under McGlynn in the Second Division. We lost the play-off to Hibs in it, combined with black and green shorts. Fetching.

05-HIB_7173-800x533.jpg

The white Nordan sponsored one? First ever puma shirts we had - ten years ago! Mind we had a fairly smart white away top in 10/11, with the blue/red stripes underarm.

Just now, Raithie said:

Spoke to Smith tonight. Squad is complete with McHattie due to sign. No money for any new players including loans. What we've got is it.

We're fucked.

10 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Your not that grown up if you think that's a reason not to support your team by buying the strip.

I support the team in many ways but I've never thought an out of shape grown man wearing a replica top was ever a good look. 

1 minute ago, Raithie said:

Spoke to Smith tonight. Squad is complete with McHattie due to sign. No money for any new players including loans. What we've got is it.

What was the point in all the trialists last night then? 

Cant believe we're signing no one else not even loanees, we have 1 winger ffs. 

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

What was the point in all the trialists last night then? 

Cant believe we're signing no one else not even loanees, we have 1 winger ffs. 

We can't be thinking about playing 4-4-2 with that squad, at least not a traditional two winger type of formation. Certainly can't be our plan B as we don't have anyone to do a like for like change if and when Bobby Barr is out of form or torn to pieces by an angry mob of 50/50 ticket sellers.

http://www.raithrovers.net/players

The goalie (Lennox) aside, are any other players missing from that photo?

If not, it's a squad of 17 players and two are goalkeepers. So 15 outfield players if McHattie signs.

How many players were in the squad when we last won the Seaside league?

1 minute ago, renton said:

We can't be thinking about playing 4-4-2 with that squad, at least not a traditional two winger type of formation. Certainly can't be our plan B as we don't have anyone to do a like for like change if and when Bobby Barr is out of form or torn to pieces by an angry mob of 50/50 ticket sellers.

I said it a while back I've got a horrible feeling we're going to see Callachan or Matthew punted out wide right and now I think I'm unfortunately correct. 

Just now, Scary Bear said:

http://www.raithrovers.net/players

The goalie (Lennox) aside, are any other players missing from that photo?

If not, it's a squad of 17 players and two are goalkeepers. So 15 outfield players if McHattie signs.

How many players were in the squad when we last won the Seaside league?

When we started, or when we finished? We brought in Wales in September, I think, and we got rid of Gurrero some point in January I think. Then we also ended up adding Simmons and Williamson. We also lost Wales around March/April.

Just now, Dazzle said:

I said it a while back I've got a horrible feeling we're going to see Callachan or Matthew punted out wide right and now I think I'm unfortunately correct. 

Which isn't a total disaster... until you recall the backup central mid will be Davidson.

I'm sort of swinging like a pendulum here, on the one hand we've got a couple of decent forwards and Vaughan will add much needed creativity. Further back I'd back Matthews to have a very good season for us alongside Cal and or Robertson. On a good day you've got a couple of attacking subs you can make. f**k me though, that's a paper thin squad once we start piling up the injuries and suspensions.

When we started, or when we finished? We brought in Wales in September, I think, and we got rid of Gurrero some point in January I think. Then we also ended up adding Simmons and Williamson. We also lost Wales around March/April.

Were we around the 15-16 mark for outfield players?

Just now, Scary Bear said:

Were we around the 15-16 mark for outfield players?

Yeah, and we probably had much the same style of team, we never really had proper wingers then, either. It was Ferry on one side, Walker on the other, usually in a 4-4-2. Then of course we went 3 up top with Weir acting as both wingers at once. At one point, in one game at Gayfield we even tried Craig Wilson at right wing. Somehow I'm not nearly as confident now. Once we had Kev Smith in, I was confident we'd be in contention, there was a solidity right up and down that team. We ground teams down in a damned ugly and direct fashion. Now we look like our left hand side is as well being a pair of saloon doors, and I really struggle with our principle defensive and midfield backup being Davo.

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

We are rumoured to be after Rory McKeown, formerly of your lot. Thoughts?

Was very poor in his first season but was then excellent in his second, if we managed to stay in the championship I would happily have taken him back

2 minutes ago, Trump said:

We are rumoured to be after Rory McKeown, formerly of your lot. Thoughts?

Dodgy first season with us, albeit playing alongside human speed bump Ross Perry. Still struggled a bit with individual mistakes and heavy touches. 2nd season he was a different class, solid defensively, and that long throw in proved quite lethal. Really good player in my opinion, but I spent last season and probably this season watching McHattie so in those reduced circumstances I'd probably give pass marks to a one footed ostrich at left back.

Did I see you were after Connolly as well? Loved watching him and Craigen in that 4th place finish team. Memories....