The New Raith Rovers Thread

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers/pre-season-games-to-focus-on-match-fitness-1-4496394
"Smith added Raith were pretty much at their limit as far as recruiting new players was concerned, although he was still looking to bring someone in to the left-back area."
If that's definitely the case then we simply don't have the players to go out and play 4-4-2 every week, and barely enough central midfielders to play 3 in there.

Providing we sign Michael McMullin for LB..

Then with the players we have, the best/only formation we could play is 4-2-3-1

If everyone's fit

Cuthbert

Thomson Bene Murray McMullin

Robertson Matthews

Spence Vaughan B.Barr

Buchanan

Subs

Lennox
Callachan
Davidson
Court
Osei
Mackay
Berry/Thorsen

I would expect us to bring a couple of loans in, in August once we know what we'll need to supplement the team.

Starting line-up looks decent, we'll have absolutely nothing off the bench though.

6 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Providing we sign Michael McMullin for LB..

Then with the players we have, the best/only formation we could play is 4-2-3-1

If everyone's fit

Cuthbert

Thomson Bene Murray McMullin

Robertson Matthews

Spence Vaughan B.Barr

Buchanan

Subs

Lennox
Callachan
Davidson
Court
Osei
Mackay
Berry/Thorsen

I would expect us to bring a couple of loans in, in August once we know what we'll need to supplement the team.

Starting line-up looks decent, we'll have absolutely nothing off the bench though.

That's the main issue for me. I think Court will be pretty useful this coming season to be fair, and I my own opinion I think I'd prefer something like a diamond midfield with Matthews at the base, Cal and Robertson in the middle and Vaughan at the tip, behind the two strikers. That'd give us at least two different attacking options from the bench that would let us change style a bit, but it'd still leave us with three or four bodies on the bench doing no more than making up the numbers. It's a very Grant Murrayesque situation.

Edited by renton

Just goes to show the hit we've had to take on the playing budget when we've only managed to bring in 3 new players, one of which appears to have been funded by Sim. I say 3 purely on the basis that McHattie might end up re-signing and wouldn't really class him as a new player.

Have we hit injuries already with Thomson not featuring last night?

5 hours ago, renton said:

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/sport/football/raith-rovers/pre-season-games-to-focus-on-match-fitness-1-4496394

"Smith added Raith were pretty much at their limit as far as recruiting new players was concerned, although he was still looking to bring someone in to the left-back area."

If that's definitely the case then we simply don't have the players to go out and play 4-4-2 every week, and barely enough central midfielders to play 3 in there.

My enthusiasm for this season just took another hit. 

We were pish last season and you beat us how many times? We've added strikers who can score goals. I'm not really sure why Ayr fans are excited?

And we weren't pish? Considering we played most of last season without any strikers I don't think we have much to improve upon either.

Time will tell but I do think we have a stronger core of players than yourselfs. All we were really missing last season was goalscorers. We have them now so 2+2=18

I don't disagree tbh. If we make a further two decent signings then I would fancy our chances of making a go of it, think we'll be a bit off the pace otherwise.